Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Max speed with gigabit fiber

jhoff909
Apprentice

Max speed with gigabit fiber

Hi - I have an Orbi RBK50v2 system (RBR50v2 + 1 RBS50v2) connectded directly to the ONT.  My provider is CenturyLink and I've subscribed to gigabit fiber.  They left me originally setup with their router - ZYXEL C3000Z with which I was able to get wired speeds approaching 1g in both directions.  I've removed the C3000Z and connected my Orbi directly to the ONT.  Until very recently, I was running the 2.5.1.8 firmware which definitly had issues.  Recently I upgraded to 2.5.1.16 which is much better.  My issue is with a computer directly connected to the router, I still don't get 1g in both directions.  Download speeds are usually in the 650 - 750 mbps range although I did see 940 once.  Upload speed tho are in the 300-400 mbps range.  Can I expectd to get wired gigabit speeds out of the Orbi?

On one hand, it's really fine as-is.  I also recently switched from Comcast (250/10) and am saving significant $$ and have much better bandwidth but it would be nice to get 950 or so in both directions.

Also, if I use the orbi speed test page in the advanced setup tab, I rarely see better than 450/150.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 25

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Max speed with gigabit fiber

Some have reported better speeds when in AP mode. Again, PPPoE seems to have problems on Orbi. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 25

All Replies
jhoff909
Apprentice

I see I'm not the only one with this issue:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-used-as-Gateway-Slower-than-1GB-Connection/td-p/1698170 for example.  I'm wondering if anyone ever solved it.  Seems like the only current solution is to put the Orbi in AP mode and use the C3000Z as the router with wifi turned off.  Which isn't what I wanted to do 😞

Message 2 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Be sure to try a different wired PC to compare speeds. 

50 series Orbi supports near 900Mbps speeds WAN to LAN. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-is-not-supporting-900Mb-on-the-WAN-to-LAN-test/m-p/...

Message 3 of 25
DatabaseJase
Luminary

We have fibre broadband supplied by Gigaclear (UK) and are currently on their 900/900 package and I can report similar issues.  The supplied fibre modem is in bridge mode with the Orbi Router connected to the 1st ethernet port.  Speed tests fluctuate on the download but usually max out around 500Mbps and download achieving the expected 900Mbps when tested using the web admin pages of the Orbi.  I have tested using a PC connected directly to the fibre router, bypassing the Orbi, and obtained a 900Mbps/900Mbps result.  I have not tried AP mode since we need the Orbi in router mode to support Circle.

I believe this is a hardware limitation of the Orbi as these devices, and I expect many older routers, simply aren't designed for these speeds.  What I am interested in is that while a single threaded (my words not technically accurate I'm sure) test on the Orbi Router does max out at 500Mbps I would hope that overall devices are able to utilise the full 900Mbps download bandwidth.

The new Orbi range (Orbi AX/6/RBK850) is described as gigabit ready so I'm curious how this works but not ready to upgrade yet due to the lack of Circle which we use.

Overall this doesn't bother me since there aren't any devices connected that can make use of the 900Mbps download anyway so the main reason I went for the 900/900 package was to support more devices that should overall use the bandwidth.  When the contract expires I think the 300/300 service will be more than adequate but will see what is available at that time.

Message 4 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

NOTE:  A factory reset is necessary when you cannot recover your password.

Message 5 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try a factory reset on the RBR as suggested. Setup from scratch. Be sure to not enable QoS, Traffic Meter, Access Controls, Armor or Circle on the RBR after completing the setup wizard. Be sure to use Ooklas installable speed test app to speed test with. Web page broswers can give inaccurate speed results.

Just took a speed test with my RBR50 loaded with v2.5.1.16:

900Mbps_v2.5.1.16.png

@DatabaseJase wrote:

We have fibre broadband supplied by Gigaclear (UK) and are currently on their 900/900 package and I can report similar issues.  The supplied fibre modem is in bridge mode with the Orbi Router connected to the 1st ethernet port.  Speed tests fluctuate on the download but usually max out around 500Mbps and download achieving the expected 900Mbps when tested using the web admin pages of the Orbi.  I have tested using a PC connected directly to the fibre router, bypassing the Orbi, and obtained a 900Mbps/900Mbps result.  I have not tried AP mode since we need the Orbi in router mode to support Circle.

I believe this is a hardware limitation of the Orbi as these devices, and I expect many older routers, simply aren't designed for these speeds.  What I am interested in is that while a single threaded (my words not technically accurate I'm sure) test on the Orbi Router does max out at 500Mbps I would hope that overall devices are able to utilise the full 900Mbps download bandwidth.

The new Orbi range (Orbi AX/6/RBK850) is described as gigabit ready so I'm curious how this works but not ready to upgrade yet due to the lack of Circle which we use.

Overall this doesn't bother me since there aren't any devices connected that can make use of the 900Mbps download anyway so the main reason I went for the 900/900 package was to support more devices that should overall use the bandwidth.  When the contract expires I think the 300/300 service will be more than adequate but will see what is available at that time.

Message 6 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

I would NOT try a factory reset on the RBR as suggested.

NOTE:  A factory reset is necessary when you cannot recover your password.

Message 7 of 25
jhoff909
Apprentice

@DatabaseJase wrote:

You're response kinda confirms my suspisions.  I'm also curious if the newer Orbis would be up to the task.  I don't use Circle or Armor so have the option to try AP mode.  Not sure I want to shell out the $$ for the newer Orbis...  I also don't *need* the gigabit speeds...  but I would like it to work.

Message 8 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Some have reported better speeds when in AP mode. Again, PPPoE seems to have problems on Orbi. 

Message 9 of 25
jhoff909
Apprentice

I finally got around switching to AP mode and adding the Zyxel C3000Z back in as the router.  I now get 940/940 speeds wired to either the Orbi or the C3000Z.  I even get decent results using the speed test function in the Orbi (850/930).  Sad the Orbi couldn't hack it to do routing/nat/wifi.  Oh and I even turned on ipv6 in the C3000Z which is working as well 😉

Message 10 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad its working now. Ya seen others with this model modem experience same issues with Orbi in router mode. Why I like stand alone modems. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 25
boramie
Aspirant

What are the steps to do this? We just switched from Spectrum to CenturyLink and I have this model modem. The way our home is constructed, the modem is in a closet, so I'd like to get the Orbis (router and 1 satellite) back in the network as access points to bolster speeds.

Message 12 of 25
jhoff909
Apprentice

Turn off Wifi on your "modem" (the unit centurylink provided).  Change your orbi to AP mode (advanced tab, advanced setup, router/ap mode).  Connerct one of the ethernet ports of the CL "modem" to the WAN port of your Orbi

@boramie wrote:

What are the steps to do this? We just switched from Spectrum to CenturyLink and I have this model modem. The way our home is constructed, the modem is in a closet, so I'd like to get the Orbis (router and 1 satellite) back in the network as access points to bolster speeds.

Message 13 of 25
boramie
Aspirant

So that will effectively kill the wifi networks on the combo unit and make my old wifi network on the Orbi visible again?

Message 14 of 25
jhoff909
Apprentice

Yes - it's what I did and it works great.  I first tried to swap out the Orbi for the combo unit (C3000Z) which was significantly more complicated and although worked, I couldh't get the whole gigabit fiber speed.

Message 15 of 25
boramie
Aspirant

Ok, cool. I'm waiting for some extension cords to come in before I can try this out. The smart panel where this was installed has run out of power outlets, so I can't add the Orbi yet. Should be in Friday and will give it a go then. TYVM.

Message 16 of 25
DatabaseJase
Luminary

@jhoff909 wrote:

You're response kinda confirms my suspisions.  I'm also curious if the newer Orbis would be up to the task.  I don't use Circle or Armor so have the option to try AP mode.  Not sure I want to shell out the $$ for the newer Orbis...  I also don't *need* the gigabit speeds...  but I would like it to work.

The newer Orbis (RBK8nn series) have a 2.5 Gbps WAN port so have been built for these higher fibre speeds.  The product information also states...

Multi-Gigabit Internet Speeds Ready - 2.5Gbps Ethernet port support multigigabit Internet speeds available from service providers. Or use port aggregation to combine two Gigabit Ethernet (LAN and WAN) ports for multi-Gigabit speeds.

The latest Disney Circle (external) device isn't available in the UK so without Circle support built-in this isn't a choice for us at the moment. Please let me know if you do give these a try though as interested in the results.

Message 17 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/What-s-the-Difference-Between-a-Cable-Modem-an...
This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@boramie wrote:

Message 18 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

The 2.5Gb speeds is only on the WAN side. Lan ports on the RBR and RBS are still at 1000Mbps only. 

@DatabaseJase wrote:

@jhoff909 wrote:

The newer Orbis (RBK8nn series) have a 2.5 Gbps WAN port so have been built for these higher fibre speeds.  The product information also states...

Multi-Gigabit Internet Speeds Ready - 2.5Gbps Ethernet port support multigigabit Internet speeds available from service providers. Or use port aggregation to combine two Gigabit Ethernet (LAN and WAN) ports for multi-Gigabit speeds.

The latest Disney Circle (external) device isn't available in the UK so without Circle support built-in this isn't a choice for us at the moment. Please let me know if you do give these a try though as interested in the results.

Message 19 of 25
boramie
Aspirant

The ONT (I think?) is secured outside the house, the modem/router combo unit is the Xyxel C3000Z. The modem/router unit was installed in a coat closet as that is where the house smart panel is located. I don't see a way to relocate the modem/router unit, so I'm planning on putting the Orbi base station in AP mode and connecting it to the LAN port on the Zyxel and putting a satellite where the base station originally was once some extension cords arrive.

Message 20 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya thats a modem router combo. AP mode should help your configuration. 

@boramie wrote:

The ONT (I think?) is secured outside the house, the modem/router combo unit is the Xyxel C3000Z. The modem/router unit was installed in a coat closet as that is where the house smart panel is located. I don't see a way to relocate the modem/router unit, so I'm planning on putting the Orbi base station in AP mode and connecting it to the LAN port on the Zyxel and putting a satellite where the base station originally was once some extension cords arrive.

Message 21 of 25
boramie
Aspirant

This is working much better.

I switched the Orbi to AP mode, killed the wireless on the CL combo, plugged the Orbi into the LAN and am getting much better connection than I was.

The TCL tv was connecting at 12 mebabits, now it is at 70 megabits and no pixelation.

Message 22 of 25
jhoff909
Apprentice

That's excellent!  Which TCL TV do you have?  I have a 55R613 and never seem to get better than about 50mbps even tho it's really close to the main base unit.  Do you have it wireless or wired?  Normally, I only get around 20mbps connections and it often connects to 2.4ghz not 5.0ghz wifi.  I do have beta Roku firmware but I'm pretty sure it was the same with the old firmware (I am running 9.3.0.4150).  I should also say that 20gbps or whatever seems to be more than sufficient - I get a nice 4k picture when the media is 4k.

The other thing I meant to say (and thought I did but I don't see it on this thread anywhere) is that there really isn't a modem with fiber.  Not exacty sure what the ONT does but the output of it is ethernet.  The C3000Z is just a wifi router.  The Orbi is just a wifi router.  You could just use one of them and either would do.  Apparently tho, the older Orbi's like we have don't have enough horsepower to handle both the routing functions and the wifi functions at gigabit speeds.  The C3000Z does a good job at the routing functions but the wifi isn't as good (not mesh either) so the two together do a decent job.

Message 23 of 25
boramie
Aspirant

We have 2, a 55s401 which is downstairs where the Orbi base station and Xyzel modem is amd a 40s305. Both are running 9.2.0 and connect wirelessly. The only annoying thing is the 55" often forgets the internet connection, so we have to do the check connection option in the Network tab to refresh it. The 40" works fine.

I'm fine with this setup for now, if the system really starts to age, I'll look at the 700/800 series Oribs or whatever the new hotness is then. The only thing I'm missing is Circle. I really liked killing device access when the kids didn't want to listen.

Message 24 of 25
jhoff909
Apprentice

Ha, our TCL TV does the same - takes it awhile to connect or I have to go do a check connection or re-setup wifi to get it to connect.  Once it's going, it's fine.  My setup's working fine at this point too.

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7