Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Orbi rbk50

murfjr3
Aspirant

Netgear Orbi rbk50

ok please bear with me ..

i have centurylink fiber (GPON) with a gig service

i dont have a large house but im useing centurylinks modem/router  c2100z and my  wifi signal sucks  (hopeing orbi will help) 

i am looking into getting a orbi rbk50  but can i just get rid of my centurylink modem   and plug right into orbi  

i only have a ethernet cable  going from the ont to there modem      i am not  super good with all this new stuff but hopeing someone can help me  

thank you in advance 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
Chuck_M
Mentor

Re: Netgear Orbi rbk50

You will need a  modem no matter what...  You currently have a modem/router combination.

Here are two options for you.

1.  Call your ISP and ask them if they can swap that modem/router for just a modem since you have your own wireless solution.

This is easiest and least cluttered approach.  Orbi would plug into back of modem without any fuss

2.  If they say NO, then your next best -- and cleanest -- option is to put their router into what is known as bridge (or passthrough) mode.  This turns off all router and wifi functions and lets your router (Orbi) do all those functions.

Here is the centurylink page to put it into bridge mode.  You want transparent bridging.  They say in here you still have to call them.

https://www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/modems-and-routers/zyxel-c2100z/access-advanced-setup...

Recommend you give them a quick call and see if they can swap.  If not, tell them you want to bridge -- also let us know and we can help with the Orbi side.

Here is your product sheet:

https://www.centurylink.com/asset/home/help/downloads/internet/c2100z-datasheet.pdf

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@murfjr3 wrote:

ok please bear with me ..

i have centurylink fiber (GPON) with a gig service

i dont have a large house but im useing centurylinks modem/router  c2100z and my  wifi signal sucks  (hopeing orbi will help) 

i am looking into getting a orbi rbk50  but can i just get rid of my centurylink modem   and plug right into orbi  

i only have a ethernet cable  going from the ont to there modem      i am not  super good with all this new stuff but hopeing someone can help me  

thank you in advance 

Message 3 of 8
murfjr3
Aspirant

just curious does anyone know of any other way to get a better signal or is getting a obi the best way

and useing clinks modem and connecting it to orbi does that lessen the signal ?

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi would be the best way to get wifi single. Has great coverage. 

You can use the modems router if it has a built in ruoter and wifi. Just disable the WiFi on the modem and configure Orbi for AP mode. The Orbi will be the new WIFI signal to connect too. Passing everything to the modem. 

Message 5 of 8
st_shaw
Master

With GPON fiber service you do not need a modem. You can plug your router directly into the ONT. 

This forum isn't the best place to ask how to do it.  Try dslreports.com

Message 6 of 8
randomousity
Luminary

You might try a different wifi channel. Ideally, on your phone or computer, look at which channel(s) your neighbor(s) is/are using and pick one that isn't in use. It could just be that you're getting a lot of interference from your beighbors and you don't need a new router.

Message 7 of 8
st_shaw
Master

You can also just keep your C2100Z, turn off its WiFi radios, and use Orbi in Access Point mode. That's the simplest thing to do.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7