Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear orbi and Bt smart hub

HirsuteKnight
Aspirant

Netgear orbi and Bt smart hub

I've tried unsuccessfully to use the orbi with my bt smart hub. I thought it was plug n play but it's not working. Do I need to do something with either the orbi or the bt smarthub router. Apologies - a real know nothing on the topic.

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Netgear orbi and Bt smart hub

The best way to set this up is to disable wifi on the BT SmartHub and then use the Orbi in AP (Access Point) mode. The main Orbi unit needs to have a network cable connecting it to the SmartHub.

Alternatively you can replace the SmartHub with a VDSL modem (I use a Vigor 130) and then use the Orbi in Router mode.

View solution in original post

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 2 of 11

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The best way to set this up is to disable wifi on the BT SmartHub and then use the Orbi in AP (Access Point) mode. The main Orbi unit needs to have a network cable connecting it to the SmartHub.

Alternatively you can replace the SmartHub with a VDSL modem (I use a Vigor 130) and then use the Orbi in Router mode.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 2 of 11
HirsuteKnight
Aspirant

Many thanks. Is the Vigorous 130 easy to set up for a novice? 

Message 3 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yes it is. If you use BT TV you need to follow this article: https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-vigor-130-bridge

That makes sure the channels broadcast over your Internet (e.g. BT Sport and some kids channels) work correctly.

Message 4 of 11
HirsuteKnight
Aspirant

Hi. So helpful. I don't use bt tv though. I just use wifi for browsing, internet, PlayStation store, Netflix etc. Does this make a difference?

Message 5 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

That will all work fine. If you're using the Orbi just for wireless coverage then I'd leave it in AP mode connected to the BT HomeHub.

Message 6 of 11
HirsuteKnight
Aspirant

I can't change the orbi into AP mode. I can't log into  orbi login.com for some reason - I've tried everything I know - is this a common issue? 

Message 7 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Maybe because it's clashing with the BT SmartHub and can't get an Internet connection. Try connecting your PC/laptop to the Orbi via a network cable or via the Orbi default wifi. Then use http://192.168.1.1 in your broswer.

Message 8 of 11
HirsuteKnight
Aspirant

I plugged a cable into my laptop and one of the ethernet ports on the orbi but still nothing. Should it be the dthernetbpoetborvthe internet slot? 

Message 9 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

No, not the Internet port. Make sure your laptop wifi isn't still connected to your BT Smart Hub.
Message 10 of 11
HirsuteKnight
Aspirant

Done! Thanks so much. Very helpful and all resolved.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7