Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Orbi RBR50/RBS50 Firmware Version 2.3.1.44

KingJamesKing
Aspirant

Re: New Orbi RBR50/RBS50 Firmware Version 2.3.1.44

Yes been on 48 for about 4 hours stable so far
Message 376 of 392
larryindublin
Luminary

Also on .48 now for an hour-ish. Frustrated that the "read me" notes when I clicked on the new version in the GUI just said something along the lines of "fixed GUI issue when japanese language is selected"... That's great, but I can't beleive that Netgear would JUST fix that after all the other issues people have been having.

Message 377 of 392

Landed her too. Took for ever to install and for the Orbi network to reboot.

Got there in the end. No trouble so far.

Any news on what it delivers? I saw something about a language issue.

Message 378 of 392
Loopy22
Tutor

Just updated to .48. Just give it plenty of time. Probably about 10 minutes to update the router and two satellites and for WiFi  to come back up.

Working great - 22 devices connected.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 379 of 392

@Loopy22 wrote:

Just give it plenty of time. Probably about 10 minutes to update the router and two satellites and for WiFi  to come back up.

That's seriously useful advice. This one took longer than usual, which is saying a lot given that Orbi updates are much slower than other stuff.

Message 380 of 392
gr8sho
Virtuoso

I have my Orbi set to manual update so the new update hasn’t been applied yet, but in one screenshot I’ve seen, noticed a switch to disable auto update. Do you see it too?
Message 381 of 392
Zephyr3200
Aspirant

Hi,

i updated to v.48 for my RBK50. Do I have to do a factory reset even if I have done it on the previous v.44? Thanks

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 382 of 392

@Zephyr3200 wrote:

Do I have to do a factory reset even if I have done it on the previous v.44?

I wouldn't.

I reserve that move for when things go wrong.

If your system sails on smoothly after the uodate, I would leave well alone.

Message 383 of 392
jweise
Apprentice

Do not see a switch to stop auto update on new 48!

Message 384 of 392
VBM
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is your daisy chain working? I had to disable it for it to work, otherwise my network will lose internet connection after a period of time (not sure how long).

Would be great if daisy chain can work because of my house configuration.
Message 385 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

How do you have the Orbi placed? THe satellites should be placed in a linear placement out from the router. 30 feet in between to begin with.

When enabling Daisy Chain you may need to save and apply then power cycle the other satellites so they can take the new setting and then connect to the satellites instead of the router. I suppose you would need to start with 1 satellite and turn it on first and let it come to ready, then turn on the next one.

@VBM wrote:
Is your daisy chain working? I had to disable it for it to work, otherwise my network will lose internet connection after a period of time (not sure how long).

Would be great if daisy chain can work because of my house configuration.

Message 386 of 392
VBM
Aspirant
Aspirant

I live in an apartment and because there are concrete walls I between each room wifi signals are terrible. They are currently placed one after the other in adjacent rooms for the signal to reach the end of my apartment as it is fairly elongated.

I have tried turning everything off, then powering them up one by one. However, daisy chain will work initially and then die later on for some strange reason which I can't figure out why.
Message 387 of 392
Rampager
Aspirant

Hi,

I have a RBR50 with one RBS50 that has been running great for 6+ months after initial setup.

I was running RBR in AP mode with default settings except for SSID.

A couple of weeks ago i noticed regular drops in WIFI connectivity (WIFI connection lost entirely) on my devices and RBS showing Magenta and then changing to Blue after some time. No indication on RBR. WIFI scanner showed that WIFI SSID was available at all times. There was no difference depending on whether or not i was connected to RBR or RBS, WIFI connection was lost on all devices.

I then noticed that i was running 2.3.1.44 so i guess i have been autoupdating without hassle since release (which is the way a premium product like this should work).

I came across this thread and started to test the different tips but nothing helped. After a number of factory resets (and after .48 was applied) i got the RBR to function when RBS was not added without disconnects. Disconnects appeared however as soon as i added the RBS no matter what settings i tried.

I then tried with a long ethernet cable for ethernet backhaul and it then seemed stable. After som rearrangement in my patch panel i am now running stable (as long as i know, family is fast to inform about WIFI disconnects...) for 2+ days.

It really bugs me though since one of the reasons for bying the Orbis was that i did not want to use my ethernet when extending the WIFI and it doesnt really give me a noticable performance gain.

Just my 2 cents.

BR,

/Ramp

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 388 of 392
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Perhaps the order of steps in bringing up the hardware after a factory reset makes a difference.  I like to use the paperclip method myself and let the hardware come up and establish first connectivity to internet for the router, and then the satellite link via wireless backhaul.  No devices are connected either wired or wireless during this time.  Once I see the blue rings, I'll use a Windows PC connected via Ethernet to get into the management console and make whatever changes are needed such as activating advanced wireless features, disabling daisy chain among others.  I've also gotten into the habit of using address reservation for the satellite.  I like it to be on x.2 address. 

By doing the bringup in this manner, the Orbi is also able to adjust its LAN subnet to avoid conflict with the subnet of the host router. The change is made immediately upon entering the management console (or web GUI as some call it).

Once these basic steps are done, and granted they do take time, I'm now in a position to start onboarding devices.

Message 389 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try updating to v48, factory reset and setup from scratch. Make sure Beamforming and MIMO and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@VBM wrote:
I live in an apartment and because there are concrete walls I between each room wifi signals are terrible. They are currently placed one after the other in adjacent rooms for the signal to reach the end of my apartment as it is fairly elongated.

I have tried turning everything off, then powering them up one by one. However, daisy chain will work initially and then die later on for some strange reason which I can't figure out why.

Message 390 of 392
bsorrent
Guide

Nothing but trouble with 2.3.1.44, spent another 6 hours getting useless support from Netgear.  After almost two years spending significant amounts of time with support trying to get Orbi to run properly, I finally gave in and purchased Google Wifi.  Set up in 30-45 minutes, been rock solid for two weeks, faster than Orbi and not a SINGLE drop or reboot.  Orbi has had some weeks/months without issues over the past two years but they release new firmware and completely mess it up.  I don't have enough time to deal with inferior, untested releases and support that knows less than I do. I just want a system that works.  Anyone want my old system?  $450 down the drain.  

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 391 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

What trouble are you having? More details would be more helpful to us. v44 is out of date now. Try v60. Once downloaded, factory reset the Orbi and setup from scratch. Be sure to load the RBS first then update the RBR lastly. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Firmware-2-3-1-60/m-p/1747642/highlight/true#M61205

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@bsorrent wrote:

Nothing but trouble with 2.3.1.44, spent another 6 hours getting useless support from Netgear.  After almost two years spending significant amounts of time with support trying to get Orbi to run properly, I finally gave in and purchased Google Wifi.  Set up in 30-45 minutes, been rock solid for two weeks, faster than Orbi and not a SINGLE drop or reboot.  Orbi has had some weeks/months without issues over the past two years but they release new firmware and completely mess it up.  I don't have enough time to deal with inferior, untested releases and support that knows less than I do. I just want a system that works.  Anyone want my old system?  $450 down the drain.  

Message 392 of 392
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7