Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBK 23 and router managment?

Kneby2
Aspirant

ORBI RBK 23 and router managment?

Hi all,

I`m new here and like to use your experience as help 🙂

Ended up on buying the RBK23-100PES (1 RBR20 with 2 RBS20) yesterday, i was thinking about going for the RBR50 (+1 sat). I may still swap to the other solution, but lets try out first.

All set up, and running with good speed so kind of happy 🙂

But... I feel i am missing the possibility to do router settings. Is that not possible?

Reserve IP`s, Change IP adress range, usual stuff?

Must admitt i only did the iOs App setup yesterday, so i have still much more i can do in the research department 😉

Another thing: Regarding how to get the managment tool working offline (Offsite), and regarding opening ports from my WAN adress in to my network.

My ISP and modem is kind of basic. Didnt find much settings in it yet.

The strange thing. My ISP modem have Wifi (i closed that down now) which gives me a LAN IP adress. But when i connect with cable it gives me a WAN IP adress. Wich made me think my router should be accessible from a remote place.

I know this extra question isnt related to Netgear, but lets see if anyone can push me in the right direction.

My ISP modem(Router) is a GENEXIS Platinum-7840 (in Norway. Homenet=ISP).

Best regards

Kenneth

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: ORBI RBK 23 and router managment?

Congrats on the purchase of an Orbi system!

there are many more features on the browser gui than just using the app. I rarely use the app because of its limited features. Its gotten much better than it was but its still just the basic features for the Orbi. It does have the IP features you're looking for. 

I can't help you much with your modem but if you've place it in modem only mode, there's remote access features to the Orbi. 

Message 2 of 6
Kneby2
Aspirant

Thanks.

EDIT:

Lets stop at THANKS! 🙂

My last issue was my memory of course. My new admin password worked just fine 😉

When accessing the web gui, i need user/password.

I  read the default is admin/password... True?

Doesnt work.

And im pretty sure i agreed on using my password in the "App setup" to also work on something else (admin gui i guess).

Also wrong password.

Some other tips on what is the correct user/password for accessing the web gui for the first time?

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Advanced router management needs to be done with a PC or laptop connected to the RBR using a web browser, then you can make changes to DCHP and reservations. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here, if so, this will effect how Remote management works on the RBR. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 4 of 6
Kneby2
Aspirant

OK, thanks.

I think i will try out option 2 then.

Nothing about Bridge mode on the modem.

I have a Genexis, Model: Platinum-7840

I do have DMZ on it, and i will point dmz to the LAN adress my modem have given to RBR20.

I got confused here, because this LAN adress my modem says is given to RBR20, is not the same as my RBR tells me it has (RBR gui has gotten a WAN adress.

Will read up on your link regarding double NAT.

Thanks again!

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, the LAN address used on the modem will be whats given to the RBR on it's WAN side port. This is the IP address that should be placed in the modems DMZ. I would set up an IP address reservation for this address ON the modem as well so the address doesn't change. Smiley Wink

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7