Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBK43 RBR40 Router ring blinking white

StevenOrbi
Tutor

ORBI RBK43 RBR40 Router ring blinking white

Have the RBK43 model which contains the RBR40 router and 2 RBS20 satellites.  Occasionally, the admin page and IOS app cannot connect.  Usually a reboot of the RBR40 resolves.

Yesterday, this occurred and a reboot of the router just hangs at the flashing white light.  I tried the factory reset but it continues in the white blinking light loop.

Found posts on manually loading firmware using tftp and followed those instructions closely but could never actually upload the firmware.

Any help would be appreciated as the units are about 18 months old and hate to replace the whole system.

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI RBK43 RBR40 Router ring blinking white

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Power OFF the ISP Modem AND Orbi system for 30 seconds. Then power ON the modem and let it sync. Then power ON The RBR and let it sync. Top ring LED should eventually turn OFF. If it does, power ON the RBSs. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 11
StevenOrbi
Tutor

SsID is not available. Can’t figure out how to hardwire to router to even login.

Have tried setting a static ip on PC and connecting to router but no success.
Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Is PC LAN cable connected to the RBR? If so, it should get a 192.168.1.something address. The web page for the RBR is at 192.168.1.1 or orbilogin.com.

You may need to factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch. 

Please give feedback about the ISP modem as well...Maybe causing problems here. 

Message 4 of 11
StevenOrbi
Tutor

I use Cspire for Internet so they simply hand off an internet line.  There is no modem.

I have tried the hard reset and while I can reset the satellites, the router won't respond to the reset button.  Sometimes when I turn it on the led on type blinks white into perpetutiy and the power light is just green.  Sometimes when I turn it on, I get the flashing amber after several seconds which is when I attempt to upload the firmware as described here

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

but its like it is not connected. 

One odd thing is when I set default gateway for my static ip to 192.168.1.1, ipconfig shows both .250 and .1.  If I set the default gateway to .250 it only shows .250

ANd sometimes, it doesn't flash the white ring on top, I just get a green power led like all is well.

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like the RBR maybe bad. 

Ensure you press the reset button for 15 seconds at least. 

If you can't seem to recover or get the RBR working correctly, I would file a support ticket and ask for help on this. Ask about an RMA. 

Message 6 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@StevenOrbi wrote:
Can’t figure out how to hardwire to router to even login.

Is this still an issue?  What this means is connect an ethernet cable between a computer (PC or Mac) and one of the three "Plugs into ethernet devices" ports.  Since the router is not functioning correctly, it is impossible to login.  That is the reason for resorting to the TFTP firmware load in the first place.

RBR40.PNG

Message 7 of 11
StevenOrbi
Tutor

Funny

I called support and was told to buy a new router.

This one lasted about 18 months.

And of course you cannot buy just the RBR40 router.

Message 8 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Did you call Netgear support, or some phone number that showed up on Google when you searched for "Netgear Support"?

At least now you have no fear of using TFTP on the router.  If it is "toast", then it cannot be bricked any farther.  (wow, what metaphors!)

Message 9 of 11
StevenOrbi
Tutor

I would really like to get the firmware update done via tftp but can't seem to get the connection right.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you using the TFTP client mentioned in NGs link or the one included in Windows? Some users have used the one included in Windows. 

You might find someone locally to help you with the RBR and getting it setup for TFTP connections. There a local PC shop or a friend who can help? 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7