Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

OpenVPN on Android phone timeouts with Orbi

vphagura
Tutor

OpenVPN on Android phone timeouts with Orbi

I have enabled VPN Service on my Orbi as directed on the Orbi manual and downloaded the OpenVPN profile for Smart phone. Which I imported on my Android phone but my phone does not connect to the VPN and I get "server poll timeout..." error in the OpenVPN logs on my phone. I kept all the default settings on my Orbi VPN page.

I'm testing my VPN with my phone on the  tmobile 4g network and I'm not connected to my wifi for testing. Any ideas why it is not working.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: OpenVPN on Android phone timeouts with Orbi

There is no other NAT device - being carrier grade NAT (by your ISP) or another router between the Orbi and the ISP connection?

Compare the Internet/WAN IP address from the Orbi dashbord with the IP when asking Dr. Google what is my ip addess - if this is not the same, figure...

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 12

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

You are correct that the way to use OpenVPN on your Android phone is when you are not connected to the Orbi LAN.  I was able to get it to work.  In MY case, I did not follow the directions exactly.  My memory is not that great, but I think I got myself tangled up because the BIG thing to click on ("For Smart Phone") was what downloaded the "phone" config file that was needed, and the tiny thing to click on ("Android") was where the directions were.  It wasn't until I accidentally noticed that the cursor turned into a "hand" when it went over those words that I realized it was "something to click on."

VPN on a phone is frustrating because the screen is so small.  I had much greater success on a tablet.

Message 2 of 12
vphagura
Tutor

Thank you for your response. It at least confirms that I'm on the right path. But still no success on Android.

BTW my Android version is 9.0 on my Samsung Note 8.

Message 3 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

I just tested my OpenVPN on my Sony Xperia on Android 9.  As I recall, I had some difficulty importing the OVPN config file and putting it in the correct place for OpenVPN to find it.  I definitely use the bottom of the three connection options: "OVPN Profile".

Message 4 of 12
vphagura
Tutor

Thank you again.

Yes, I have used the OVPN Profile option on the OpenVPN to put the profile in place that I got from Orbi. Also, I can see in the logs that it is trying to connect to my DDNS and IP correctly but fails and timesout. Could not get further than that. I may be doing something wrong somewhere.

Message 5 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

I also got myself into a mess when I created the DDNS entry and did not realize that ".mynetgear.com" was going to get added to my host name.  (or was it the other way around?)

Message 6 of 12
vphagura
Tutor

Interesting... I do not see that in my case.

I see in the OpenVPN logs that it trys to connect to the correct DDNS and IP.

Message 7 of 12
schumaku
Guru

There is no other NAT device - being carrier grade NAT (by your ISP) or another router between the Orbi and the ISP connection?

Compare the Internet/WAN IP address from the Orbi dashbord with the IP when asking Dr. Google what is my ip addess - if this is not the same, figure...

Message 8 of 12
vphagura
Tutor

Thank you for that. It just reminded me that I have a AT&T router between Orbi and ISP.

So it looks like I have to open a UDP port on the ATT router.

Message 9 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, "there ya go.  a 'double-NAT' condition."  Completely neglected to inquire about "what exactly is the Orbi connect to?"  This one is "My Bad."

Most of the folks who actually know things on this forum recommend having only a single router.  Either put the Orbi in AP mode and count on the existing  router to perform all "router functions", or put the existing device in "bridge" or "passthrough" mode.

Message 10 of 12
vphagura
Tutor

Thank you all. That really worked like a charm!

I need to think about putting my Orbi in Ap mode.

Message 11 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Oh, fudge, another "my bad."  OpenVPN is set up on your Orbi.  This is a router function. Putting the Orbi in AP mode means no OpenVPN on the Orbi.  Maybe the AT&T supports a similar VPN capability.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7