Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AC3000 with Cisco SG112-24 Switch

RPIvers
Aspirant

Orbi AC3000 with Cisco SG112-24 Switch

Using a Cisco unmanaged sg112-24 switch with Orbi AC-3000 and with one satellite connected via ethernet backhaul to same switch.  V2.2.1.210 firmware on both Orbi devices.  Orbi router cpu at 17%.  All seems fine connection and speed-wise.  However, the Cisco switch is indicating a loop on the port where the Orbi router is connected (flashing amber).  Orbi router is connecred at 1000/Full.

I am concerned about excess traffic on the LAN because of the suspected loop.  If I was not using the Cisco switch I would be none the wiser about a loop because most swtches don't provide that indicator.

Comments?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
RPIvers
Aspirant

Re: Orbi AC3000 with Cisco SG112-24 Switch

I happened to have a Linksys 1GB switch without any Green stuff or Loop detection.  It works OK.  I will keep an eye on the network to see is anything changes.  The Orbi CPU utilization is about the same at 17%.  I might be chasing shadows with the Cisco - it likely is thinking it is detecting a loop when none is actually there.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

1. What other wired devices do you have connected to Orbi? Any mesh speakers (e.g. Sonos)?
  2. Since you have wired backhaul, please make sure Daisy Chain is disabled in Orbi advanced wireless settings.
Message 2 of 6
RPIvers
Aspirant

1.  As far as other things on the LAN - Mostly Windows 10 PCs, a couple of network printers, a couple of Buffalo NAS devices, a couple of smart TVs/DVD.  Wifi has 6 Leviton wall light switches. I have 3 Netgear 1G 8 port unmanaged switches that star off of the Cisco - mostly to handle additional devices at didstance.  Everything terminates to the Cisco, including the 3 NetGear switches, so only 2 "layers" of switches. Nothing out of the ordinary.  The Orbi and Orbi satellite are connected via 2 ports on the Cisco as well but have nothing else connected to their LAN ports.

2. I did try the Daisy Chain settings both on and off.  No difference.

I also have switched physical cables and port locations on the Cisco and the Orbi Router.  When you plug into a different port on the Cisco, it starts ok with Green link on the right LED and green flickering (traffic) on the left LED (indicates 1GB connection) for about 10 seconds, then it goes to error indication state, (flashing amber on the left) but everything is still operational.  The Cisco is detecting something it doesn't like from the Orbi, but I'm not convinced one way or the other if it is causing harm (slowness, packet storms).  I could put WireShark on the wired LAN to see if it would pick if anything. 

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you remove this particular switch from the mix and try a different switch by chance as a quick test? 

I believe this switch may have Green Ethernet which some others have said doesn't work well with Orbi systems. 

@RPIvers wrote:

Using a Cisco unmanaged sg112-24 switch with Orbi AC-3000 and with one satellite connected via ethernet backhaul to same switch.  V2.2.1.210 firmware on both Orbi devices.  Orbi router cpu at 17%.  All seems fine connection and speed-wise.  However, the Cisco switch is indicating a loop on the port where the Orbi router is connected (flashing amber).  Orbi router is connecred at 1000/Full.

I am concerned about excess traffic on the LAN because of the suspected loop.  If I was not using the Cisco switch I would be none the wiser about a loop because most swtches don't provide that indicator.

Comments?

Message 4 of 6
RPIvers
Aspirant

I happened to have a Linksys 1GB switch without any Green stuff or Loop detection.  It works OK.  I will keep an eye on the network to see is anything changes.  The Orbi CPU utilization is about the same at 17%.  I might be chasing shadows with the Cisco - it likely is thinking it is detecting a loop when none is actually there.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

You might check the Cisco switch to see if you can disable any of the loop detection and Green Ethernet, then maybe you can still use that switch. 

Glad the other switch is working though. Please mark your post as solved so others will know for future reference. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7