Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 - AirPrint Enabling

spellfast59
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 - AirPrint Enabling

I'm using the Orbi RBK50 with NETGEAR DM200-100EUS. I've enabled my printer as an airprinter, it is not natively an airprinter, in netgenie. It worked once but now doesn't show on my ipad as an airprinter. Any help gratefully received.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 16
schumaku
Guru

Re: AirPrint Enabling

Unless I'm very wrong, we need the desktop Netgear Genie (on either WIndows or macOS) installed to handle and offer Air Print on the network for non-native Air Print capable printers. Direct printing from the iOS devices using the mobile Genie App to the router USB port is not possible.

Message 2 of 16
spellfast59
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. I'm trying to print over wifi not via the usb port

Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the printer?

Message 4 of 16
spellfast59
Aspirant

Dell 3115cn

Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

This printer only has the following connection support:

10/100BaseT Ethernet
USB 2.0 High Speed
IEEE 1284 Parallel Port

There is no wifi. I would recommend connecting the printer either ethernet or finding a wireless print server solution that you can connect the printer too that provides AirPrint features so you can print to it using that method or the PC method as suggested. I'm not sure if NG has any print servers, however I know HP does. Something to look into if your wanting Air Print support for your devices.

https://tweaks.com/windows/46495/enable-ios-airprint-support-on-windows/

https://www.startech.com/Networking-IO/Print/usb-wireless-n-150mbps-airprint-server~PM1115UA

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/44237/are-there-any-airprint-compatible-print-servers

Message 6 of 16
spellfast59
Aspirant

Hi

It is set up via ethernet not usb. The netgear software suggests that it can make a non airprint printer work as an airprinter hence my question?? Any ideas

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 8 of 16
spellfast59
Aspirant

Thanks for the help so far. Can I be clear, I don't have any usb printers, They are all networked. So I want to use the wifi from orbo to print to my ethernet connected Dell printer - they're all on the same network.

Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 10 of 16
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @spellfast59

What FW is your Orbi router on? Do you have Genie, Acrobat reader, and iTunes installed on a computer? If so, are you able to print from your computer? 

~Christian

Message 11 of 16
schumaku
Guru

@Christian_R wrote:

Do you have Genie, Acrobat reader, and iTunes installed on a computer?

Christian,
Is there any current KB entry describing the exact requirements for Air Print to Netgear USB connected (only, correct?) non-AirPrint-capable printers? I understand iTunes (resp. the Bonjour package which was available for Windows back some time standalone) for the Bonjour stuff, Acrobat Read for rendering (?), and of course Netgear Genie for Windows or macOS. Last but not least of course also a working printer driver, configured to print to the (Netgear USB connected or any?) printer. Lots of variables. 
TIA,

-Kurt

Message 12 of 16
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@spellfast59

@schumaku

Reference for AirPrint Setup: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/AirPrint/AirPrint_UM_EN.pdf

~Christian 

Message 13 of 16
schumaku
Guru

Christian,

The starting point in the KB might be about here: .AirPrint Set up for wireless printing from your iOS devices through NETGEAR genie

But then there is a link to "Supported Routers" with a list of well more than aged -  many products are simply missing Nighthawk, DSL, Cable, Orbo, Orbi Pro, ... - this list must be very outdated and incomplete. This is what hold me off (along with some other dead links I can't find again this minute) from posting.

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 14 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

@Christian_R I agree with @schumaku. An updated AirpPrint and Supported router listing would be helpful.

Message 15 of 16
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@schumaku

@FURRYe38 

Thank you for the feedback. I will bring this request up to the necessary team. 

~Christian 

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7