Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK53 and Comcast XB3 Set-Up -- It's Finally Working but is It Correct?

dscott77
Aspirant

Orbi RBK53 and Comcast XB3 Set-Up -- It's Finally Working but is It Correct?

Yesterday I replaced my aging Apple Airport Base Station (and Time Capsule) with an Orbi RBK53 (router and two satellites) from Costco. My ISP is Comcast via an XB3. Powering up and placing the Orbis went as expected with both satellites glowing “blue.” However, the rest of the install was challenging. After failing to get Wi-Fi Internet access to the Orbi system, I followed on-line advice and enabled the XB3’s Bridge Mode. Once enabled, I could not access the Internet EVEN when cabling the XB3 from it’s Port No. 1 directly to an iMac. Nothing I tried would restore Internet access so I backtracked and disabled Bridge Mode on the XB3. After a reboot of the XB3, Internet access was restored via direct cabling. And, after many trips back and forth between my hard-wired iMac and the XB3, suddenly — and magically — the Orbi system began working as well. I successfully was accessing the Internet both via hard wire and wi-fi. Happily, compared to my old Airport system, wi-fi access seems much faster throughout the house. So, I have two questions:

1. All seems to be functioning well with the XB3 Bridge Mode disabled AND its Wi-Fi feature still enabled, along with the Orbi. Given yesterday’s ordeal, I am reticent to screw around with a system that seems to be working despite not precisely as various on-line posters have recommended. (For example, I’ve not tried AP (Access Point) as many on-line suggest.) In Network Preferences, both the Orbi AND the XB3 show up and seem to be living in harmony. Should I quit while I’m ahead?

(By the way, I cable from the XB3's Port 1 to a Netgear “Prosafe 16 Port Gigabit Switch GS116 which feeds various Ethernet ports around the house. All ports currently are working. I mention this, though, in case that switch somehow contributed to my set-up problems as previously described.)

2. While Wi-Fi via the Orbi seems stronger throughout the house, I’d like to re-check that the satellites are optimally placed. Is this simply a matter of going to each one, unplugging it, replugging and watching the colored light on top? There doesn’t seem to be any other way of determining signal strength via my Orbi iPhone X app.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK53 and Comcast XB3 Set-Up -- It's Finally Working but is It Correct?

After you set bridge mode on the ISP modem, did you factory reset the Orbi router and walk thru the set up wizard and let it get the router connected to the ISP modem in bridge mode?

You can keep the modem in router mode and use the Orbi router in router mode, however you should use the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the ISP modem.

Checking your switch, it maybe a managed switch, you'll need to confirm this with NG support. If it is, please check for IGMP protocols and disable this. One user mentioned that he disabled this on his managed switch and the Orbi system started working correctly on his managed switch.

I have a 5000sq ft home two story and main router is at one end of the house upstairs and the 1 satellite is placed at the opposite end about 40ft in between. Great coverage, range and performance. Beginning range should be 30feet in between to begin with between router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 25
dscott77
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBK53 and Comcast XB3 Set-Up -- It's Finally Working but is It Correct?

Furry -- Thanks very much for the reply! No, I did not reset the Orbi nor did I use the set-up wizard. I don't recall seeing either of these suggestions in the many on-line posts addressing similar set-up problems.  The term "modem DMZ" is brand new to me so I'll need to sort that out how to do that. (The Netgear GS116 is an "unmanaged" switch and always has been passively trouble-free.) Whew! As I've often said over the years, the most challening aspect (to me) of home computing always has been the care and feeding of wi-fi networking. My series of Apple Airports and Expresses were reasonably well behaved but even they were naughty from time-to-time. I always was able to get them all singing on the same page but sometime it wasn't easy. Networking, to me, is a lot like black magic. It works, then it doesn't, then mysteriously, it works again. Plus, I figure the variety of modems in the marketplace complicates things for gear like the Orbi. Do you have an opinon on my second question:, i.e. Am I safe to power down, then power up each of the two satellites and watch the color bands for "blue" to make sure they're effectively positioned? As mentioned earlier, before encountering my Internet woes, both registered "blue" where I put them early during the install. Probably a dumb questions but I'd hate to experiment only to find that I have to go though the whole set-up process again. Believe me, yesterday was no fun and I'd like to avoid getting into the weed again. My spouse does not appreciate interruptions to her Internet service. Period.

Message 3 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, well you'll be fine. The reason for mentioning DMZ is that when you have two routers on the same line and network, the 1st one is already doing router mangagement and translation of traffic. Putting another router behind the 1st one can cause additional problems as it's also try to do routing and translation of traffic on a private WAN address when it's actually now getting a Private LAN address. So in this configuration, we call this a double NAT condition. Using a DMZ on the 1st router for the 2nd router helps in this case.

Ya, I know, I try to do router and networking maintenance during late evening or night time when others have gone to bed.

Networking maybe black magic to you, however it's and exact science though. You learn by doing as well.

Get brave again, try bridging the modem then walk thru the set up wizard on the Orbi router. It should work to get the router connected with a bridged modem.

Message 4 of 25
dscott77
Aspirant

Furry -- I will try to summon the courage to do as you suggest. My hesitation is because, yesterday, immediately after I enabled Bridge Mode on the XB3, my Internet access completely disappeared, even directly cabled XB3-to-computer (bypassing the Netgear switch). Whatever the cause, a solution eluded me despite rebooting the modem, trying other computers on other Ethernet ports, etc. But as soon as I disabled Bridge Mode, bingo! -- Internet acces via Ethernet cable resumed and, later, even my Orbi system kicked in. As per your earlier message, the crash probably occured because I didn't factory reset the Orbi and didn't use the genie. 

Message 5 of 25
tsig
Luminary

@dscott77 wrote:

Furry -- I will try to summon the courage to do as you suggest. My hesitation is because, yesterday, immediately after I enabled Bridge Mode on the XB3, my Internet access completely disappeared, even directly cabled XB3-to-computer (bypassing the Netgear switch). Whatever the cause, a solution eluded me despite rebooting the modem, trying other computers on other Ethernet ports, etc. But as soon as I disabled Bridge Mode, bingo! -- Internet acces via Ethernet cable resumed and, later, even my Orbi system kicked in. As per your earlier message, the crash probably occured because I didn't factory reset the Orbi and didn't use the genie. 

The reason for this is because you had no router at that point.  With the old router in bridge mode, you should have been able to use the Orbi as the router.  If however you are using your old router, then put the Orbi in AP mode.  This is easy to do.  And turn off the wifi from your ISP's router.  Don't need the extra wireless congestion.

Message 6 of 25
dscott77
Aspirant

You have been most generous and gracious with your responses. At the risk of trying your patience, I'll ask another question: Which router should I choose? The Comcast XB3 with the Orbi in AP mode? Or the Orbi with the XB3 in Bridge Mode (thereby disabling the XB3 router feature)? I'm guessing the latter. I absolutely savvy the wisdom of having only one router so I'm going to muddle my way through this task. I simply want to enjoy high-speed wi-fi with as little complication as possible. Assuming the Orbi gets the router nod, in what order do I make these changes? At the moment, I have hard-wired access to the net and the Orbi wi-fi is operating perfectly. Do I Bridge Mode the Comcast first, then put the Orbi in AP second? Sigh. You've already gone to considerable trouble to help me out so if you know of a link to "here are the steps, 1,2,3...," I will be eternally grateful. If not, I'll go take my chances by guessing and pester you no more (except to report success, should that be my fate). My sincere thanks.

Message 7 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Is there a Mfr and model# of this modem?

I would do this, ask your ISP of the modem in question can be bridged. I know that some ISPs and modems don't support bridging.

You can for now, keep it configured as your main router and use the Orbi in AP mode. If it works don't fix it. LOL.

Message 8 of 25
dscott77
Aspirant

Understood. Arris Model TG1682P3CT. It appears that it can be bridged. Here's what Arris says:

"By default, the TG862 operates as a gateway, and provides Internet access for multiple devices connecting to the TG862 gateway. When operating as a gateway, the TG862 serves as a modem and a router and keeps the devices in the Local Area Network (LAN) hidden.  In certain situations, it may be desired to disable the router function of the TG862, and have it operate as a modem only.  This can be accomplished by configuring the TG862 for Bridge Mode.  When Bridge Mode is enabled, the router function is turned off and the device directly connected to the TG862 will receive the Public IP address from the Cable Provider.  This document describes how to enable and disable Bridge Mode.

NOTE 1: Although the TG862 does not route traffic when Bridge Mode is enabled, it can still act as a firewall if the firewall settings in the TG862 are enabled.

NOTE 2: The Bridge Mode feature is not included with units that have been leased or purchased from Shaw communications.

This is an ideal setup when:

• Adding a firewall, router or another NAT device to manage the Local Area Network
  • Hosting services or applications that can benefit from being directly accessible from the Internet"

Message 9 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

When you go in to the modems UI, what are the settings you see for bridging the modem? I recently did this on a newer version of and Arris modem/router, If I remember right I disabled the Gateway setting, there were two settings in this area. I don't remember the other setting.

Ya, I believe that once you enable bridge mode and let it reboot, you need to reset the Orbi router and walk thru the Setup Wizard and let it set up the internet connection with the modem...When you decide to try again. Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 25
dscott77
Aspirant

Got it. Thanks. You da man!

Message 11 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 25
dscott77
Aspirant

Like a bad penny, I'm back BUT last question - I promise. I've put my Orbin into "AP" Mode and wi-fi is working swiftly. However, both "Comcast" and the "Orbi" show up in the list of available wi-fi options and it doesn't seem to matter which I choose. Both work. Nowhere in the Netgear instruction on how to enable AP mode is this addressed. Does it matter which I choose? 

Message 13 of 25
tsig
Luminary

Turn off the Comcast wifi.  

Message 14 of 25
dscott77
Aspirant

Hahaha! Yep, you had already told me that. Sorry. I'm now inside my XB3's on-liine page and am attempting to do so. Your patience is remarkable!

Message 15 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Where are you seeing Comcast? Is this the SSID list of available wifi names to connect to on your devices?

If so, then the wifi radios on the ISP Modem have NOT been fully disabled...

Message 16 of 25
dscott77
Aspirant

Both are in the drop-down "Network Name" list when I open Network Preferences on my Mac or IOS device. Accessing the inner workings of the XB3 don't offer an option to "turn off the wi-fi" so I concluded you might have been referring to the Comcast "hotspot" feature. I found a link in my Comcast account to turn it off but it keeps saying "something is wrong, try again later" and remains enabled. In any case, I'll go back and make certain my Orbi is in AP mode but I swear that it told me I had successfully done so the first time I tried it. 

Message 17 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, thats Comcast hotstop stuff. They dont' really want you to disable that. I don't care for that kind of service.

Can you access the modems UI?

Might be someting to consider, BYOM.

Message 18 of 25
dscott77
Aspirant

Back through the AP Mode change process and it does the same thing it did the first time: Allows me to choose "AP Mode," asks me to click on "Apply" (which I do), gives me message that "this might take a few minutes," then again asks me for my user name and password that takes me right back to the "Router/AP Mode" page. I figured this meant that I was good to go and that this was an option to go back to "Router Mode" but maybe it just isn't accepting the change for some reason. Good grief.

Message 19 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

clear the browser cache the try the UI again...something isn't getting set right...Use IE11 or FF or Opera browsers.

Message 20 of 25
dscott77
Aspirant

Have been trying on FF but will attempt with Safari.

Message 21 of 25
dscott77
Aspirant

I cleared the browser cache. Safari and Opera (IE 11 is not longer available for Mac.), result is the same. The "Router/AP Mode" page comes up and shows "AP Mode" is selected. Hitting "Apply" again takes me through the same route I've described and I always come back to the starting page. Both Comcast and Orbi continue to appear in the drop down list as options on an computer or device I check. IE 11 is not longer available for Mac. I guess my only choices are to keep everything as is until I decide to change course and Bridge the Comcast and re-set-up the Orbi to be the router.

Message 22 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the process take you to the end of the set up wizard? Seems like the setup wizard hasn't fully completed. Ya, you might try a reset on the router and walk the set up wizard to it's completion.

Message 23 of 25
dscott77
Aspirant

The process I'm using is accessed via orbilogin.com, signing in and navigating to "advanced," then, "advanced set-up," then "Router/AP Mode" as instructed by https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

Don't know if that's the same as the "Set-Up Wizard." I've tried my IOS Orbi app to see if it might tell me whether or not AP has been enabled but it's silent on the matter.

Message 24 of 25
dscott77
Aspirant

The process I'm using is accessed via orbilogin.com, signing in and navigating to "advanced," then, "advanced set-up," then "Router/AP Mode" as instructed by https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

Don't know if that's the same as the "Set-Up Wizard." I've tried my IOS Orbi app to see if it might tell me whether or not AP has been enabled but it's silent on the matter.

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7