Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 and Spectrum - having strange issues.

Ph0t0bug
Tutor

Orbi RBR50 and Spectrum - having strange issues.

To start here is the setup:

Orbi -RBR50 w/1-sat. Updated to the latest Firmware

Spectrum Device: E31N2V1 modem only updated to the latest Firmware (VOIP in modem but not used and the light does not stay lit after reboot)

Onix TVIMR16 Security camera system, hard wired to all cameras, CAT-6 unit to Orbi

connection type: standard CAT-6 cable plugged into internet port from modem into Orbi.

Issue 1:

I need to port forward ports 80,8000 and 554 for a security camera system.  Ports 8000 and 554 forward to the internal 192.168.1.3 just fine. In fact I can use the app for the cameras to connect to the cameras remotely through the public Dynamic IP address.  The issue is that I can't forward port 80 to use simpleddns.com to redirect to the new IP when the lease has run out on the old address or a power outtage that would cause a change in the address.  In the Orbi I have forwarded 192.168.1.3:80 and it is In The list of forwarded ports.  I have reserved 192.168.1.3 for the security cameras in the Orbi as well.  Contacted Netgear support and waited an hour to talk to a tech and somehow got disconnected after he put me on hold to read the ticket.  Called back and waited 3 hours listening to this automated voice tell me that there were 5 people ahead of me then 2 min later being told there were 13 people ahead of me.  Then it told me my hold time was 39,650 min, no... I'm not joking.  Anyway about ten min later the tech came on and had me turn on the DMZ for the 192.168.1.3.  Side note, after all changes the Orbi was rebooted.  Anyway, after setting the DMZ I still could not get a test on port 80 to come back as open.  Tech told me he needed to talk with his team about the issue and call me back in 2 hours.  I had waited this long so why not.  That was at 4pm CST,  it 9:39p now.  In the mean time I started looking for other things that could cause this problem.  While looking through the Orbi I noticed in the Logs that there were several "DoS attacks" today.  This peeked my interest so I contacted Spectrum.  The lady said she would check the modem and get back with me in a min.  Less than a min later she came back and told me that she could not even log into the modem and there must be an issue with it.  I went into the store and traded out what I had for a new one thinking this could be the problem.  I wish it was but alas Port 80 remained locked down. I called Spectrum again to see about known issues with Orbi as well as how their modem handeled Ports.  She informed me that there was no port blocking on their modem and it was strictly internet pass through to the router however while looking she mention that she could not see the Orbi connected to the modem and could not help me with the issue as they could only support their equipment.  The whole time I knew the Orbi was connected as I was able to use it to surf the net as well as check the other ports that needed forwarding.  I turned on Remote Management (set to Everyone) to be able to come home, 30 miles away, and work on it from here.  I went back in and checked the log to see what was going on and found that I had DoS attacks almost every min.  As it stands now I went back in the Orbi and turned off the DMZ to 192.168.1.1 as well as gave up on trying to get Remote Management on the Orbi up and running as it seems to just attract the DoS attacks.  Port 80 is still closed.  The internet connection is working fine.

Issue 2:

Why would the Orbi not be seen as connected to the modem?

Issue 3:

What could be attracting the DoS Attacks?  The ports they are scanning are at the end of the list and high port numbers.  (Ill add a screen shot). And what is the best method of stopping them? 

The photo is off the Orbi after it is connected to the "new" modem.

Thanks ahead of time for any help you can provide.  I am at a loss on this one.  Figured I would reach out to the real pros working with the Orbi

83398303-4385-4DEB-BC6F-781E4D0DA89D.jpeg7244492C-AF8F-41DF-8B32-530214FE0213.jpeg

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 and Spectrum - having strange issues.

Did you disable uPnP on the RBR before setting up any port forwarding configurations? 

What FW version are you using? 

Has this configuration ever worked for you? 

Message 2 of 19
vajim
Master

Message 3 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

@Ph0t0bug wrote:

Issue 2:

Why would the Orbi not be seen as connected to the modem?

This may be semantics.  "See" in the sense of "There may be something connected, but I have no way to access it, much less say anything about it."

@Ph0t0bug wrote:

Issue 3:

What could be attracting the DoS Attacks?  The ports they are scanning are at the end of the list and high port numbers.  (Ill add a screen shot). And what is the best method of stopping them? 

There are programs running that constantly scan every public IP address looking for open ports and attempting to connect. They cannot be stopped, just as there is no way to prevent people from calling your phone number (robocalls).  You can choose not to answer, which is what the Orbi does.  The Orbi firewall has routines that attempt to classify connection attempts in various ways. (I have seen comments claiming that Netgear is overly-aggressive at identifying "DoS" attempts.) The two Orbi systems that I get logs from identify at least 80 "DoS Attacks" every day.  I repeat, the Orbi rejects these connection attempts, just as I do not answer most phone calls.  There is no harm in 'hecking the option on the Advanced Tab WAN Setup "Disable Port Scan and DOS Protection."

Once Remote Management has been activated, the Orbi actually does accept connections (the default port is 8443). When programs find port 8443 is accepting connections, they attempt to log in.  This will fill the Orbi log with "Invalid Login" messages.  With my 25 character Orbi admin password, it will take about 8 billion years for someone to gain access.

Message 4 of 19
Ph0t0bug
Tutor

Did you disable uPnP on the RBR before setting up any port forwarding configurations? 

A: No, after disabling it and configuring can I turn it back on?  The guy who is using the system really needs it to be on.

What FW version are you using? 

A: The latest the update tab checks:  Ver. 1.1.0.16

Has this configuration ever worked for you? 

A: It did with another router.  I believe it was the Nighthawk Router.

Message 5 of 19
Ph0t0bug
Tutor

Yea... did all that.  Both individually for each port and again with the ports with commas.. neither seemed to work.

Message 6 of 19
Ph0t0bug
Tutor

Thanks for that info.  I have a long secure password as well just didnt want to cause any extra traffic if I could avoid it.  Thats reassuring.  🙂

Message 7 of 19
Ph0t0bug
Tutor

I just found a page that says the latest Firmware is above 2.0 while the orbi its self is set for auto updates but still has the 1.1.0.16 version... what *IS* the latest version...(sigh)

Message 8 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Wow, v16 is the very first version released for Orbi. 

You get beyond that you'll need to apply v74, then v212, then you can go to latest if you want to. 

All version of FW for RBS and RBR 50 series is here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx#download

Update the RBS first then RBR lastly. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...
https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

@Ph0t0bug wrote:

I just found a page that says the latest Firmware is above 2.0 while the orbi its self is set for auto updates but still has the 1.1.0.16 version... what *IS* the latest version...(sigh)

Message 9 of 19
Ph0t0bug
Tutor

Just so I make sure I dont mess things up.... I have the RBR50 Router and one indoor Sat. And one Outdoor Sat. Which is the RBS50Yv2.  

If I get what your telling me I need to update the firmware of the indoor Sat. First then update the RBR50.  After that I can connect the new RBS50Yv2 to the system and run the update for it.   

The RBS50Yv2 dosent have the RJ45 connection and is not currently syncing to the RBR50 so there is no way to update the RBS50Yv2 until I can get it connected to the RBR50.  

Did that sound correct?  

Thanks again for your help!

Message 10 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Correct.

Message 11 of 19
Ph0t0bug
Tutor

Ok thanks!!  Are the updates cumulative or do I need to do all 34 individually?  I also didnt see where there was a v74 to download first... 

Message 12 of 19
Ph0t0bug
Tutor

Ok looking at it I think this is what you are saying:

First Sat. Update to 2.0.0.74.  Then Router to 2.0.0.74.  After that bring both to 2.1.1.12 doing the Sat. First.  After that go up the chain.  I saw on a post that updates are cumulative accept for the "one offs"...

Message 13 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

yes, once you get v212 loaded on the RBS and RBR you can go directly to the latest version if you like. 

Message 14 of 19
Ph0t0bug
Tutor

Thanks again.. you truly are the Guru that your badge says.  I think this is going to solve a lot of issues I was having with the unit.  I made the assumption that the "Automatic" updates would work.  Lol.  

Message 15 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

If your system was on old FW, then auto updates wouldn't have worked. Those have to be manually updated to get past and updated. Then autoupdates should be working and let you know if there is a new update. You may start to see them if you get to say v16, You can do a quick check and the RBR may show something. Otherwise, update manuallly and you'll be fine. 

If you seem to run into problems on newer FW, I recommend disbling Traffic Meter and or Circle if they were enabled. I would first run the system with out TM, Armor or Circle enabled first off. Ensure DST if enabled is set to correct time zone. 

Message 16 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to contact NG support for help and information regarding that then. 

Good Luck. 

Message 17 of 19
Greg00001
Star

This is long ago but I was told that spectrum blocks port 80 on all residential accounts so people could not run their own web servers.  You had to have a business account to have port 80 open.  Not sure if this still holds true.

Message 18 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

I have residential Spectrum and just now forwarded port 80 my Pi-hole and was able to access it via my public IP address from a cell phone connected to Verizon.  There are at least some residential customers who can operate web servers.  (I have since stopped forwarding the port because an open port attracts nuisance connections.)

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7