Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 speed seems to be degrading over time

brightball
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 speed seems to be degrading over time

I've had my Orbi RBR50 and 1 satellite for a little over a year now (March 2019). For most of that time, everything seemed to be working fine but over the last 3 months we started noticing problems on our home network (wired and wireless).

Here's a summary of everything I've attempted to test and remedy the issues:

My internet service with Spectrum is the 200mb plan which typically performs at 220mb in on Speedtest.net. When running these tests either via a computer on the network, hardwired, wireless or via the Orbi admin speed test, these numbers were consistent. In the last 3 months, I would see it top out around 95mb.

Following guidance found elsewhere on this forum, I plugged my computer directly into my cable modem to see if it was an issue with the modem but I was able to get full speed. I used the same cable that the Orbi was using to connect to the cable modem, so I had a strong sense that it wasn't a problem with the CAT 5e cable but just to be certain I repeated the test with a CAT 6 cable and saw the same results.

Next, I took a gigabit switch that I had available which has connection indicator lights on it to show whether it is 1000 or 100. The WAN port on the Orbi shows 100 every time. The LAN ports and every other device involved shows 1000.

Following some other advice in the forum, I tried the factory reset process on the Orbi but with no help. Because I'm working from home and needed to see this resolved I ended up ordering a wired-only Gigabit router to support the hardwired devices on my network and it's working fine.

My intention was to switch the Orbi into access point mode afterwards to just let it support the wifi in my house. After making this switch the Orbi is topping out at 45mb on Speedtest (either via the built in test or with a device connected to the Wifi when standing next to it).

Does anybody know what could be going on here?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 speed seems to be degrading over time

Possible that the RBRs WAN port is faulty if the connection status reads 100Mpbs. IT should be 1000Mpbs. 

You may want to contact NG support to see if they can help you or see what your options are. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings
Not seen on Orbi AX.

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 12
brightball
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

v2.5.1.16

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Cable Modem
Hitron Technologies, Inc,
DOCSYS 3.1 eMTA, E31N2V1

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?
The wired only router that was just added is a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter 4 ER-4
and the switch connected to it is a Netgear ProSAFE GS108PE.

The Orbi has been tested while plugged into the Cable modem directly, directly into the EdgeRouter and into the switch. A computer plugged into the switch speedtests at the maximum 220. The Orbi is currently plugged into the ProSAFE switch and the indicator light is the Orange 100.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
I'm actually not concerned about the Wifi performance. The Wifi performance mirrors hardwired performance that I'm seeing through the Orbi and I'm testing within 5 feet with no obstructions. The satellite is currently turned off.

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
Just applied and retested. I don't see any noticeable difference.

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Just tried it. No noticeable effect.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Yes. 4 days ago.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible that the RBRs WAN port is faulty if the connection status reads 100Mpbs. IT should be 1000Mpbs. 

You may want to contact NG support to see if they can help you or see what your options are. 

Message 4 of 12
brightball
Aspirant

I called and nothing could be done because it didn't have a hardware warranty unfortunately.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Well thats a shame. Sorry you can't get this fixed. Sounds like something faulty on the RBR. I would try to get it replaced or go with something new. You could use the RBR in AP mode and connect it using the LAN port but your top ring LED will be on PINK always. Smiley Frustrated

Message 6 of 12
brightball
Aspirant

Thanks for the tip! That actually worked and now that I'm plugged in through the LAN port I get full speed again.

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good. Put a peice of tape over the WAN port and put a post it note on the back mentioning the WAN port is bad as a reminder. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 12
brightball
Aspirant

That is some strange behavior.

I switched the plug from the WAN to the LAN without rebooting anything, my phone already had the Wifi connection so I just opened up the speedtest app and ran the test. Got a full speed result. After a few minutes, everything lost connection.

Rebooted it, perfect connection again. Then after a few minutes it lost connection.

It seems like it has the capability but some type of reset is constantly triggered if the WAN port isn't plugged in. Very strange.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible. Might try AP Mode on the RBR and see if it continues. 

Message 10 of 12
brightball
Aspirant

Unfortunately, that was in AP mode.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Hmmm, running out of ideas...

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors