Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Rbs50 satellite being slow

Kentschmitt21
Aspirant

Orbi Rbs50 satellite being slow

I have 400 mgb Spectrum internet speed and recently just had a tech come out to check on some issues I’ve been having. I can run speed tests at my main computer that’s hardwired to the orbi router and have speeds over 400. I have 3 satellites placed in 3 different rooms so I can hardwire into the satellites. They have all synced great and the tech was able to plug his device in and they all showed to have around 400. Problem is I’m running speed tests on the devices hardwired into the satellites and not even pushing 100mgb.
2 android fire boxes and my ps4 months ago used to run 300+. I’ve checked my firmware and hard reset everything several times. It says the firmware on all 4 is up to date. Any ideas anybody?
Message 1 of 8
ekhalil
Master

Re: Orbi Rbs50 satellite being slow

1. How do you see the Satellites attached to the Router in the Orbi app, in star or Daisy Chain topology?
  2. Do you have Daisy Chain activated in the advanced wireless settings?
Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@Kentschmitt21 wrote:
They have all synced great and the tech was able to plug his device in and they all showed to have around 400. Problem is I’m running speed tests on the devices hardwired into the satellites and not even pushing 100mgb.

What did the tech plug into each of the satellites to show 400mb?

(p.s. It is impressive that the tech would do this.  Most of them seem to lose interest at the ethernet jack on the modem.)

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Kentschmitt21 wrote:
I have 400 mgb Spectrum internet speed and recently just had a tech come out to check on some issues I’ve been having. I can run speed tests at my main computer that’s hardwired to the orbi router and have speeds over 400. I have 3 satellites placed in 3 different rooms so I can hardwire into the satellites. They have all synced great and the tech was able to plug his device in and they all showed to have around 400. Problem is I’m running speed tests on the devices hardwired into the satellites and not even pushing 100mgb.
2 android fire boxes and my ps4 months ago used to run 300+. I’ve checked my firmware and hard reset everything several times. It says the firmware on all 4 is up to date. Any ideas anybody?

Message 4 of 8
Kentschmitt21
Aspirant

The spectrum tech had his equipment that he can connect to the end of lines or plug into the back of modems and satellites and run ping tests. Not sure exactly what it was but he plugged it into every satellite and router. So now I’m more confused lol
With everything I’ve read so far it seems like it’s a firmware that I need to manually download or some backhaul issue I have know idea the proper way to fix. The firmware now is v2.3.5.50. But my biggest question is the dynamic dns service. I’ve had to reset my equipment up several times because of similar issues and had to re-register it through NETGEAR. Now that I’ve had this equipment for a couple years it’s not letting me. Coincidence???
Message 5 of 8
Kentschmitt21
Aspirant

First thanks for responding. I’ve had this equipment for 3 years now in the same place in the house and never had a problem. They still flash blue for good sync no problem. For giggles I did move my satellite about 15ft away from router and nothing changed. They are all 3 about 30-40ft away. I went through my advanced settings switched everything to like you recommended. Nothing different has happened there. I did play around but nothing seemed to help. I’ve had similar things like this happen and all I had to do was completely reset my whole system and re-register it again through Netgear and set it up again. Usually after a firmware update. But my biggest question now is the dynamic dns service. Every time I reset it would have me re-register it through NETGEAR and then set it up. Now that I’ve had it for a couple years it won’t let me use the dynamic dns service. Right now it’s running v2.3.5.30 and showing no updates. With everything I’ve read it could be a backhaul issue or firmware issue due to the armor shield which I did activate.
Message 6 of 8
Kentschmitt21
Aspirant

I’ve been through my settings and nothing seems to help it. I have noticed that when I reset my whole system and set it up again that it won’t let me register it through NETGEAR again so I can use the dynamic dns. Ever since then i believe I had this problem. If it’s not that then it has to be some backhaul issue I keep reading about with no answers or a firmware issue I have to manually fix. Right now it’s running the v2.3.5.30. Nothing in seething has changed the outcome. Or moving the satellites closer to the router.
Message 7 of 8
ekhalil
Master

@Kentschmitt21 wrote:
.......... But my biggest question is the dynamic dns service. I’ve had to reset my equipment up several times because of similar issues and had to re-register it through NETGEAR. Now that I’ve had this equipment for a couple years it’s not letting me. Coincidence???

Regarding Dynamic DNS, this is a software issue since a long time ago. To overcome this just go to the Dynamic DNS settings under >> ADVANCED >> Advanced Setup >> Dynamic DNS and uncheck  Use a Dynamic DNS Service  then click on Apply and then check back the settings and Apply again. Try Show Status after that and you can see that your DDNS will be updated correctly after that. 🙂

It seems that this issues happens every time Orbi Router is restarted.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7