Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Router RBR50 No Longer Communicating.

SJern03
Aspirant

Orbi Router RBR50 No Longer Communicating.

I have an Orbi RBR50, with 3 RBS50 satellites.  The system has been working fine, since I purchased it until this past week, when it began dropping the WiFi and blocking the internet (yes, internet works fine).  It would reset and work if I powered off the router and rebooted it.  Today, it will not reboot and will not connect with the satelittes.  The router will either pulse white, or stop and glow white.  The Salellites are all pulsing purple.  Has anyone had this issue and is there a resolution other than buying a new router.  

In advance, thank you for your time and input.

Steve Jernigan

sjernigan3@me.com

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 20
Bbuch
Aspirant

Re: Orbi Router RBR50 No Longer Communicating.

I just started having the same problem 3 days ago. RBR50 goes out at least once a day. If I turn everything off and restart the mesh it starts working again. But then goes out eventually. Sometimes I'll get more than 24hrs, sometimes only 2-3hrs before having to restart. I only have one satellite and it seems fine.
Message 2 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

@SJern03 wrote:

I have an Orbi RBR50, with 3 RBS50 satellites.  The system has been working fine, since I purchased it until this past week, when it began dropping the WiFi and blocking the internet (yes, internet works fine).  It would reset and work if I powered off the router and rebooted it.  Today, it will not reboot and will not connect with the satelittes.  The router will either pulse white, or stop and glow white.  The Salellites are all pulsing purple.  Has anyone had this issue and is there a resolution other than buying a new router.  

In advance, thank you for your time and input.

Steve Jernigan

sjernigan3@me.com

Message 3 of 20
SJern03
Aspirant

All of that would be good, but at this time, I can't even communicate with the router...  

Suggestions?

Thank you.

Message 4 of 20
Retired_Member
Not applicable

are you able to provide the firmware you're using?

Message 5 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Turn OFF all RBS and wire connect a PC to the back of the RBR. Factory reset the RBR by pressing the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. Check to see the top ring LED blinks WHITE, then slowly pulsates WHITE. Open a web browser to 192.168.1.1, can you access the RBRs web page here at all? 

@SJern03 wrote:

All of that would be good, but at this time, I can't even communicate with the router...  

Suggestions?

Thank you.

Message 6 of 20
SJern03
Aspirant

There was a recent update via the Orbi App that I applied.  Not sure of the number...  

Message 7 of 20
SJern03
Aspirant

Have done as you suggested...  Unable to hit the router using 192.168.1.1.  Router glows white constantly.  

Message 8 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you open up a support ticket here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

Sounds like the RBR needs to be replaced/RMAd. 

@SJern03 wrote:

Have done as you suggested...  Unable to hit the router using 192.168.1.1.  Router glows white constantly.  

Message 9 of 20
MarkBLesher
Aspirant

Having the same issue with new mesh I set up a week ago.  

RBR50 with 2 Satellites that are now Ethernet Backhauled ( switched to E-backhaul after first communication event because it took forever for the Sats to resync with router when I rebooted router).

My symptoms.  I have RBR50 connected to 2 RBS50 over E-backhaul. Total 30 devices, 15 wireless connected to Orbi and 15 wired to Orbi on Netgear FS108NA Gig switches. Allconnected happily and getting great speed. I hace 200mbs internet connection that I monitor with netmon monitors for connectivity. All device fw at v2.5.1.8

Roughly every other day, my wireless network will start to get flaky and crash ( flaky meaning that I will start to get some intuppted web pages and intermittant connect erros) Usuall within 10min of this starting, all wireless clients will lose all internet but still be connected to the SSID . The wired clients will still have some connectivity. At this point , Orbi app will show router with Magenta icon and the 2 Satellites in green. Within 20 mins , even my wired clients will lose connection ( they are wired through the router for internet.  - this may change as I may reconfig Orbi to WAP and reinstall trusty Apple Extreme to serve as router and DHCP if I cant get this resolved.)

To get the network back up, I have to reboot Orbi router, and sometimes the Satellites as well.  I have had to do this 5 times in the last 8 days since I purchased the Orbi. ( In contrast, the apple only needed to be rebooted once in 5 years)

It does not help that there is no event logging or error messaging that gets generated by the router to track this. Also, it would be nice if the Orbi app could show if the internet connection is up.

Hopefully there is a known issue that is being worked on?  Has anyone experienced this issue and tried going to prior fw release to see if that addresses the issue?

Message 10 of 20
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@MarkBLesher wrote:

RBR50 with 2 Satellites that are now Ethernet Backhauled ( switched to E-backhaul after first communication event because it took forever for the Sats to resync with router when I rebooted router).

My symptoms.  I have RBR50 connected to 2 RBS50 over E-backhaul. Total 30 devices, 15 wireless connected to Orbi and 15 wired to Orbi on Netgear FS108NA Gig switches. Allconnected happily and getting great speed. I hace 200mbs internet connection that I monitor with netmon monitors for connectivity. All device fw at v2.5.1.8

Roughly every other day, my wireless network will start to get flaky and crash ( flaky meaning that I will start to get some intuppted web pages and intermittant connect erros) Usuall within 10min of this starting, all wireless clients will lose all internet but still be connected to the SSID . The wired clients will still have some connectivity. At this point , Orbi app will show router with Magenta icon and the 2 Satellites in green. Within 20 mins , even my wired clients will lose connection ( they are wired through the router for internet.  - this may change as I may reconfig Orbi to WAP and reinstall trusty Apple Extreme to serve as router and DHCP if I cant get this resolved.)

To get the network back up, I have to reboot Orbi router, and sometimes the Satellites as well.  I have had to do this 5 times in the last 8 days since I purchased the Orbi. ( In contrast, the apple only needed to be rebooted once in 5 years)

It does not help that there is no event logging or error messaging that gets generated by the router to track this. Also, it would be nice if the Orbi app could show if the internet connection is up.

Hopefully there is a known issue that is being worked on?  Has anyone experienced this issue and tried going to prior fw release to see if that addresses the issue?

Here's your problem:   v2.5.1.8

Message 11 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Are the RBS connected to this switch or direct connected to the RBR? 

Please confirm that you switch is a GS108 and not a FS108. FS is only rated at 100Mpbs while GS is 1000Mbps. 

Please try a factory reset and setup from scratch with the RBR and RBS. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@MarkBLesher wrote:

Message 12 of 20
MarkBLesher
Aspirant

typo, my network is all 1Gig.

Hate to have to do a factory level wipe but will do it. 

Wondering if I should avoid circle and Armour as I do not have experiance with them to know if they cause problems. I am going to stick with Ethernet backhaul.

Message 13 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes reset and don't enable Circle or Armor. Also ensure Daisy Chain is disabled on the RBR as well. 

@MarkBLesher wrote:

Wondering if I should avoid circle and Armour as I do not have experiance with them to know if they cause problems. I am going to stick with Ethernet backhaul.

Message 14 of 20
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Yes reset and don't enable Circle or Armor. Also ensure Daisy Chain is disabled on the RBR as well. 

@MarkBLesher wrote:

Wasting time 

Message 15 of 20
cdcsf
Aspirant

Hey Mark - I have a very similar setup and situation to you. 1 RBR and 2 RBS satellites. One satellite is connected via ethernert backhaul and the other is wireless. I switched to Orbi maybe a year ago and it seemed to be working great providing additional coverage to my house in areas where my other setup was not capable.

Then, I updated the firmware to v2.5.1.8 when I started experiencing the connectivity issues that you described. So, I went back to Ubiquiti EdgeRouter and put the Orbi system into bridge mode to function just as APs. This seemed to work better but then about a week ago I noticed the solid Magenta ring back on the router. Wifi connectivity continues but I'm unable to access the Orbi management console. Then, wifi connectivity to the internet will stop and then eventually my laptop connected directly to my router via the ethernet will lose internet connectivity. Cable modem shows no issue.

Internet connectivity is resolved by waiting or by power-cycling the Orbi router. I'm seriously considering pulling this system out of my home. I don't feel like I need to reset my Orbi config back to factory defaults and then re-configure. I've already done it once.

Message 16 of 20
cdcsf
Aspirant

@Retired_Member wrote:

@MarkBLesher wrote:

Here's your problem:   v2.5.1.8

Can I revert to an earlier firmware version without having to reconfigure? (I apologize...I haven't looked into this prior to asking...) If so, what's a known, stable firmware version to use? I don't recall what I upgraded from....

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you try a factory reset after v2.5.1.8 was loaded to see if this cleared the system behavior? Might try this. You can downgrade FW as well. Download the FW files and apply them manually. 

@cdcsf wrote:

Hey Mark - I have a very similar setup and situation to you. 1 RBR and 2 RBS satellites. One satellite is connected via ethernert backhaul and the other is wireless. I switched to Orbi maybe a year ago and it seemed to be working great providing additional coverage to my house in areas where my other setup was not capable.

Then, I updated the firmware to v2.5.1.8 when I started experiencing the connectivity issues that you described. So, I went back to Ubiquiti EdgeRouter and put the Orbi system into bridge mode to function just as APs. This seemed to work better but then about a week ago I noticed the solid Magenta ring back on the router. Wifi connectivity continues but I'm unable to access the Orbi management console. Then, wifi connectivity to the internet will stop and then eventually my laptop connected directly to my router via the ethernet will lose internet connectivity. Cable modem shows no issue.

Internet connectivity is resolved by waiting or by power-cycling the Orbi router. I'm seriously considering pulling this system out of my home. I don't feel like I need to reset my Orbi config back to factory defaults and then re-configure. I've already done it once.

Message 18 of 20
cdcsf
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Did you try a factory reset after v2.5.1.8 was loaded to see if this cleared the system behavior? Might try this. You can downgrade FW as well. Download the FW files and apply them manually. 

@cdcsf wrote:

Yes I have done a factory reset. And, I'm not doing it again. A factory reset shouldn't have to be done every time there is an issue. My orbi system is only functioning as APs at this point. No other services (like Circle) running since it is in Bridge mode.

Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, just checking. You can downgrade to see if this help. 

Just FYI, Orbi doesn't support Bridge mode. Bridge mode differs from AP mode.  It's AP Mode when it comes to Orbi. 

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7