Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi and Airport Extreme

WelshKim
Aspirant

Orbi and Airport Extreme

We had previously bought an Apple Airport Extreme to boost the very poor signal in our 2100sq ft village house. I had been told it would be powerful enough but wasn't, so we then bought the Orbi router with satellite, system to use on 1F and GF. I had read that I would then be able to link the AE into this to use on the top floor.

After an extended telephone conversation with Applecare yesterday, they said it wasn't possible to do what I wanted, as the AE needed to be connected by ethernet cable to the modem on 1F so couldn't be used on the floor above. They suggested I should link the Orbi system into the AE network and do it that way. 

I don't think the Orbi router will work unless connected to the modem either, and doubtful if I could put one on GF and one on 2F? I keep reading about bridges and access points and am unsure whether this might solve our problem?

I'm not very tecchie (although I'm learning fast 🙂 ). Can anyone advise if it is possible to do what I first intended and set up the AE to work off the Orbi system on the 2F, or the other way round (?) and if so, how would I go about it? 

I'm new to all this and the Netgear community, so thanks in advance to anyone able to help. 

Message 1 of 6
netwrks
Master

Re: Orbi and Airport Extreme

Both Apple Orbi can be placed into AP (Acess Point) mode..  Orbi has an AP mode setting. Apple may require additional configuring, disbaling DHCP etc. In respect to which one  I would use as a base router vs. AP, I'm not in a position to comment on the total configuration, as I do not use either platforms. Best to use `configure and test` for optimum hardware setup, for your environment. I`m sure others will chime in..

Message 2 of 6
st_shaw
Master

I would first ask, have you tried Orbi with the router on the GF and the satellite on the 1F?  Did it work well enough for clients on the 1F and the 2F?  That's how mine is setup and it works fine on a 3 level 3,000 SF house.  If you have concrete or stone construction, it might not work as well.

It is certainly quick and easy to try.

If coverage isn't good with Orbi alone, then you should be able to set the Airport into AP mode and wire the Airport into the Orbi satellite's LAN ports.  This would be equivalent to connecting the Airport into the router's LAN port.

Message 3 of 6
WelshKim
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure I want to risk configuring, disabling etc unless I am very clear what I am doing, dont want to mess things up. I'll look at what is involved in doing a 'configure and test' and see if I can work that out. 

Message 4 of 6
WelshKim
Aspirant

Thanks st shaw, I'm not able to try your suggestion as the modem/internet connection is wired up on the first floor. At the moment as both the Orbi and AE need to be connected the modem they are both sitting next to the PC which is a waste of one of them. The Orbi satellite works well on both the top or ground floor when the main Orbi is on 1F. I think it's possible to buy another Orbi satellite so maybe that's the answer, but as I have the AE just sitting here doing nothing I thought I could make use of that. 

Im not sure how to set the airport into AP mode but will try to find a way, but in order to wire it into the ORbi they would still need to be next to each other which wouldn't help the top floor of the house where we have no wifi signal at all. Or am i missing something? 

Message 5 of 6
st_shaw
Master

You have three floors with the modem on the middle floor.  This is good.

Put the Orbi router on the middle floor.  Put the satellite on the top floor. You should have great coverage on the middle and top floor and probably in the yard.  You should also have good covereage on the bottom floor, because the signal will go through one floor well.

If you need better coverage on the bottom floor, then buy a second satellite and put it on the bottom floor.

Put the Airport express away. You don't need it.  Using it will create multiple problems. Whatever you do, do not turn on the Airport and place it next to Orbi.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7