Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi and Telstra FTTP NBN

herebedragons69
Aspirant

Orbi and Telstra FTTP NBN

Hi Everyone, 

1st post. FTW!
I want to check the compatibility of the Netgear Orbi AC2200 Tri-band Mesh Router connecting directly to my Telstra FTTP NBN box.
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
ekhalil
Master

Re: Orbi and Telstra FTTP NBN

FTTP or FTTH typically uses a Gigabit Ethernet port in the wall or a fiber modem to which you can connect Orbi.

It should be possible to connect Orbi WAN port directly to the NBN modem.

If you will require phone service then I guess you can connect the ISP Gateway to a LAN port on Orbi.

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@herebedragons69 wrote:
Hi Everyone, 

1st post. FTW!
I want to check the compatibility of the Netgear Orbi AC2200 Tri-band Mesh Router connecting directly to my Telstra FTTP NBN box.

Message 3 of 8

@ekhalil wrote:

FTTP or FTTH typically uses a Gigabit Ethernet port in the wall or a fiber modem to which you can connect Orbi.

It should be possible to connect Orbi WAN port directly to the NBN modem.

If this doesn't work, and you have a router in front of the Orbi, the easiest option is avoid complicated faffing around and to put the Orbi into wireless access point mode.

This is pretty common among Orbi users. Works fine. It does remove some features, such as parental controls, but for many people they are no great loss.

Message 4 of 8
herebedragons69
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have something useful from each of your posts.

Currently I have a Telstra branded NEtgear v7610 as my modem / router. Wifi drops out on it all the time, and ithe new Synology Nas I just picked up can't automatically configure all the neccessarry port forwards as my modem is not listed in their automated settings. I'm not keen to manually configure the 30+ ports, so I was looking at different modem and orbi would solve another problem i have with regard to wifi range, plus, it looks cool. 

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

IT would be good to get into a stand alone modem if possible to use with Orbi or any external router. Good Luck. 

@herebedragons69 wrote:

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have something useful from each of your posts.

Currently I have a Telstra branded NEtgear v7610 as my modem / router. Wifi drops out on it all the time, and ithe new Synology Nas I just picked up can't automatically configure all the neccessarry port forwards as my modem is not listed in their automated settings. I'm not keen to manually configure the 30+ ports, so I was looking at different modem and orbi would solve another problem i have with regard to wifi range, plus, it looks cool. 

Message 6 of 8
herebedragons69
Aspirant

I am not yet clear whether I can use an Orbi with my Telstra FTTP NBN box.

Here are my needs: 

WiFi coverage throughout a 4 bedroom home. 

Port Forwarding for Music Apps like JRiver Media Center and Plex, also Port forwarding my Synology Nas. 

Message 7 of 8

@herebedragons69 wrote:

I am not yet clear whether I can use an Orbi with my Telstra FTTP NBN box.

Given the messages that you have received, I am not surprised by your confusion. Let's start by trying to answer your question.

Can you use an Orbi with your NBN Box?

It depends on what the NBN box does. If it is a modem/router then you have two options. Work out how to put the NBN box into modem only (bridge) mode, or use the Orbi in wireless access point (AP) mode.

The problem is that it isn't easy to work out what this NBN box can do. A search for "Telstra branded Netgear v7610" doesn't throw up a manual that explains how to put it into bridge mode.

I did find this:

Telstra Gateway Pro Netgear V7610 in Bridge mode - Telstra Crowdsupport - 670837

I assume that this bit:

@herebedragons69 wrote:

Port Forwarding for Music Apps like JRiver Media Center and Plex, also Port forwarding my Synology Nas. 

is a list of "wants".

In AP mode, the Orbi may not be able to handle all those. But you may be able to set them up on the NBN box.

If your ISP has a user forum, you could try asking for help there. I bet there are more Orbi users there than there are NBN/FTTP people people here.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7