Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi disconnects after ip change

SupahFox
Tutor

Orbi disconnects after ip change

So, my ISP by default changes the IP address every 6 hours and orbi disconnects for 1 minute aprox. I contacted my ISP and it said that it was the orbi router. Pls help

Firmware: RBR20 V2.6.2.104

(the modem is configured in bridge mode and orbi in router mode)

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi disconnects after ip change

Message 2 of 8
SupahFox
Tutor

Antel, the only ISP here in Uruguay. In 2022 we'll have Starlink lol

Message 3 of 8
LlamaLarry
Luminary

That's a crazy short lease time, but you have to work with what you get.

You can go to Advanced -> Internet Port -> Connection Status in the Orbi UI and Release then Renew when your ISP refreshes your IP.  This will be faster than waiting for the Orbi to do it by itself.  

Message 4 of 8
No1Mportnt
Luminary

Have you tried requesting a static IP address from your ISP?

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@SupahFox wrote:

So, my ISP by default changes the IP address every 6 hours and orbi disconnects for 1 minute aprox. I contacted my ISP and it said that it was the orbi router. Pls help

Firmware: RBR20 V2.6.2.104

(the modem is configured in bridge mode and orbi in router mode)

On the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, the blue box labelled "Connection Status" will display the lease that was obtained and the time remaining. Typical DHCP practice is for the client to begin attempting to renew the lease when it is half expired.  If the lease provided was for six hours, there should always be more than three hours remaining because the Orbi will renew for another six hours at the three hour mark.  It would be useful to know when the ISP issues a different IP address.(Is it during a regular renewal?  Just "out of the blue" in the middle of a lease period?)  It is actually a different IP address every time?

This may be a situation where the modem should not be in bridge mode. (Lessor of two evils: give up some applications like port forwarding, VPN, etc. vs. suffer 1 minute outages every six hours)

I had never considered what changing client IP addresses would do to every TCP connection that has been established.  Every data packet that arrives at the ISP for this IP address now has to go ..... where?

Message 6 of 8
SupahFox
Tutor

I think only business can request a static IP for this ISP if I remember correctly

Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@SupahFox wrote:

I think only business can request a static IP for this ISP if I remember correctly

Any one who will PAY for a static IP can have one.  It's the money the ISP cares about.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7