Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi mesh WiFi and concrete walls

Pmartinez348
Aspirant

Orbi mesh WiFi and concrete walls

I am planning on upgrading my WiFi system (nighthawk ac1900) to Orbi mesh WiFi with sat.

But I wanted to make sure this will work on a two story concrete house. Can you please provide your inputs.

Your usual response will be greatly appreciated.

P Martinez

pmartinez348@gmail.com

Model: EX6400|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: Orbi mesh WiFi and concrete walls

@Pmartinez348 wrote:

But I wanted to make sure this will work on a two story concrete house. Can you please provide your inputs.

Can you give us some information on the coverage your Nighthawk is giving you?  If it is reasonable, then Orbi would work.  But if it can't penetrate the walls at all, then Orbi likely won't either.

Message 2 of 9
Pmartinez348
Aspirant

Nighthawk works fine on first floor, then I have an extender fir the second floor, it works fine. The main reason I am planning an upgrade is to get a higher power single and a single network thru the house and patio. Can you provide some recommendations?

I have about 8 wireless devices connected wirelessly and 6 ethernet.

Thx

Pedro
Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

How fast is your internet service?  Are you using your wifi mainly to connect to the internet, or are you using it to connect to your ethernet devices?

@Pmartinez348 wrote:
Nighthawk works fine on first floor, then I have an extender fir the second floor, it works fine. 

Ok, then an Orbi would also work.  The RBK50 would give you the best wifi backhaul between the router and the satellite.  Normally that's recommended for larger spaces, but it might be the right option for you given the concrete construction.  It should give you more flexibility on placement of the satellite, which might be helpful in maximizing your coverage. 

If you have ethernet to the second floor, you can also use ethernet backhaul with the Orbi.  

You could add a second satellite later on if that is needed to get to the patio.

Message 4 of 9
Pmartinez348
Aspirant

My internet is 100 mbs
I use wifi for streaming and apple devices.
Apple TV and NVidia Streaming Box are connected to Ethernet

Thanks
Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Pmartinez348 wrote:
My internet is 100 mbs
I use wifi for streaming and apple devices.
Apple TV and NVidia Streaming Box are connected to Ethernet

Orbi sounds like a good fit.  

Message 6 of 9
Pmartinez348
Aspirant

OK. So, RBK 50 or 53 ???

Thx for your great support

Pedro Martinez

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Pmartinez348 wrote:

OK. So, RBK 50 or 53 ???

Interesting question at the moment.

Looking at Amazon US current pricing

• RBK50: $320
  • RBK53: $420
  • RBS50: $243

So if you get an RBK50 and it's good enough, you save $100.  If you need another satellite, you lose $143 over the RBK53.

If you just want to get it done, maybe go with the RBK53.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
30 feet is recommended in between the Orbi router and satellite(s) to begin with depending upon building materials. Being that you say the building materials is concrete, the distance between base router and satellite(s) will probably need to be closer.

@Pmartinez348 wrote:

I am planning on upgrading my WiFi system (nighthawk ac1900) to Orbi mesh WiFi with sat.

Your usual response will be greatly appreciated.

P Martinez

pmartinez348@gmail.com

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7