Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi very slow or unreliable

Ryganley
Follower

Orbi very slow or unreliable

I have since transferred my house and a external building (20 feet away) to the orbi Tri band system with the hub on the main floor (same as the old router) one satellite in the upstairs bedroom and one in the external building. Before I was just using 2 netgear WiFi extenders in the same locations and the modem (d-link dir-868l) from optimum and had low but consistent speeds. Now even though I the speed tests are saying I have doubled my speed it seems as though we keep getting kicked off the network on our devices (apple products mostly) and resolution on videos are low feeds. I have made no configuration changes to the Orbis. Any tips on how to fix these inconsistencies or low performance. Thanks in advance, we are stuck in our house these days so help is appreciated.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi very slow or unreliable

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? The DIR-868L is not a modem. Good router though.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

You may need the 50 series Orbi, as it seems to have more power and range over the 20 series. 

Message 2 of 3
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Orbi very slow or unreliable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? The DIR-868L is not a modem. Good router though.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

You may need the 50 series Orbi, as it seems to have more power and range over the 20 series. 

too many questions.....Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7