Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Powerline PLP2000 wired backhaul for RBK50 or not?

alokeprasad
Mentor

Powerline PLP2000 wired backhaul for RBK50 or not?

Thinking of buying the RBK50 this season.

The office room has the cable modem and will have the RBK50 base router.  It will have one Powerline PLP2000 connected to the RBK50 base router (with PLP2000 outlets in other rooms for wired devices).  The Orbi RBK50 will add better signal mesh for non-wired devices.

Should I use a Powerline PLP2000 outlet in the remote location as the connection to the Orbi extenderunit? Or use the wireless connection between the base and extender units?

Thx.

Aloke

PS: I prefer wired connections whenever possible.I think that PLP2000 will provide better latency and reliable connection between the Orbi units.  Not sure about that, though...

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Powerline PLP2000 wired backhaul for RBK50 or not?

many things impact both powerline performance and wireless performance. 

What I'd do? try them both and see which one works better. 

We can't say 100% which will work better based off the details you gave. 

Message 2 of 6
alokeprasad
Mentor

Thanks for the reply.  You are correct that there's no way of knowing without trying it out.

Can I set the satellite up for wired backhaul, test the speeds, and unplug the ethernet wire for it to switch to WiFi backhaul automatically?

Or do each: wired, wireless backhaul: have to be set up individually?

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

You should be able to.

i used to frequently move my satellites around and some would be hardwired some wireless and didn't have to reinstall any of them. 

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend trying a search here on he power line or PL, there as been a few posts about PLs working with Orbi with wired backhaul in the past I believe. 

Message 5 of 6
alokeprasad
Mentor

I reluctantly invested in PLP2000 because of WiFi connection issues in my living room with my aging R9000 X10.

Hopefully, RBK50 satellite using wireless backhaul in the same room as my TV, receiver, Hopper etc will be stable and fast.

I can still use a few low bandwith and older devices in that room with my PLP2000 (and a switch) to take some of the load off the Orbi connections.  Other rooms typically have newer devices that would be OK with the Orbi.

The only thing keeping me from getting the Orbi is potential headaches in using 2.4 GHz Ring devices w the Orbi.

Aloke

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7