Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR40 password recovery

Retired_Member
Not applicable

RBR40 password recovery

Need some help logging into my RBR40 system.  Can't locate my password.  
What's weird is going into routerlogin.net after failing the passwords, prompts me to enter the serial number...Then 2 challenge questions...

One is easy.

The other, I would have never, ever set...What was your first Netgear product?

tried orbi, nope...I've had tons of Netgear products over the years...no clue.  

Is there any other way to recover/reset this without factory reset?  That's the last thing I want to do.....

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR40 password recovery

If you can't remember what you used or if you didn't, factory reset will be needed. Sorry. This time walk thru the set up wizard, it will ask you what was your first NG product, there are other selections I believe.

Write your answers down some where safe.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

If you can't remember what you used or if you didn't, factory reset will be needed. Sorry. This time walk thru the set up wizard, it will ask you what was your first NG product, there are other selections I believe.

Write your answers down some where safe.

Message 2 of 5
txanonymouse
Initiate

This is really strange.  I just purchased the Orbi as did a buddy of mine.  2 days after setting this up, I experienced the same thing wher my router admin password would no longer work.  Further my second challenge question asked for infomration about a sister i do not have.

Today, my buddy called me up and said he experienced the same thing with one bizarre additon.  He accesses the router from his iphone with the thumbprint touch id instead of having t type the password.  And yo guessed it, the "password" was denied.  Note he originally set up his Orbi RBR50 5 days ago. 

Both of our orbis are running FW 2.1.4.16 on both Orbi setups. 

My intent is not to simply say me too, but to let you know what we had to do to get around this.  We factory reset and went through the whole setup process again (granted our satellites were already optimally placed).

TL;DR:  Me too, and also a buddy.  We had to do a factory reset (paperclip and all) to resolve both our issues.

Message 3 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yep. Had to do a full reset and redo the challenge questions. Just bizarre.
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working again. Ya, odd. IF it happens again, i'd contact NG support. Enjoy for now. Smiley Wink

@Retired_Member wrote:
Yep. Had to do a full reset and redo the challenge questions. Just bizarre.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7