Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50v2_ Loses Internet connection

AHF
Aspirant
Aspirant

RBR50v2_ Loses Internet connection

Hi,

I need help. I have over 3 months having problems with my new router. It loses internet connection several times in a day and the only way to get the service back  is un-pluging the Modem. My modem is from Frontier communications.They have changed their modem 3 times and the problem persists. They confirmed the problem is not from their side. If I un-plug the router instead of the modem the service never is restablished. I always have to un-plug the modem to get the service again. Any suggestion is welcome. Thanks!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: RBR50v2_ Loses Internet connection

1. what modem is it? 

2. Firmware on the rbr? 

Message 2 of 8
AHF
Aspirant
Aspirant

Model is a Frontier Communication Modem
MODEL # FOG420 FTRO8A00FC1C
FIRMWARE in Router and Satellites 2.5.1.16
Thanks
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Has the ONT and RBR been powered OFF for 1 minute then back ON? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

Message 4 of 8
AHF
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,
Yes, they have powered off for over s minute and they back on.

Yes, I have done a factory reset and updated the firmware several times and the problem persists.

Thanks
Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like there is a problem between the RBR and your ONT unit. I would check with the ISP to see if there logs show anything at the ONT unit. 

The RBR depends on the ONT unit working well have having good operation and signal. If the RBR seems to be failing to keep connected, then possible failure is at the ONT. 

Test your RBR at a different location if you have a friend for family member near by with a different ONT or modem that you can use to see if the problem follows the RBR or not. Would help rule out what device doesn't have the problem. 

Message 6 of 8
AHF
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, Frontier Communication already checked logs and no problem was found from their side. Obviously, they say they cannot make the whole diagnostic because my router is not a Frontier Comm. router. I have made them to change three times their modem just to be 100% sure the problem is not the ONT unit. My big issue is that I cannot change of ISP due to the fact they are the only one available in my neighborhood. My only option is to contract their router again and lose my 300 dollars invested with Netgear....
Thanks
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible that the known issue with Orbi and some ISP ONTs is that the DHCP lease time is a problem. 

Might try a seach on DHCP Lease time here inthe forums and see if you can find a telnet command that might help this.

THere is one user whom posted about this

@ekhalil 

Another suggestion would be to put the ISP router back online and use the DMZ/IPPassthru on that router for the RBR in router mode. 
Or put the ISP router online and configure the RBR or AP mode:

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7