Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 Connectivity problems and Issues

AFD
Luminary
Luminary

RBS50 Connectivity problems and Issues

I have the same problem with almost the same symptons that reported in the following thread

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBS50-connectivity-issues/m-p/1902652

Just starting , nothing happens in my Network , no new devices , no upgrades , nothing and suddenly RBS50 doesnt work fine with all the devices connected to them , also when you go with a smartphone from the main router to the satellite where it is supposed that RBS50 give signals to the smartphone , then the connection is lost . 

At the moment just power off all (router , satellite , devices , etc.) and the power on without any result . 

Actual firmware = 2.3.5.30 Proposed firmware update -> 2.5.2.4

Im not sure to perform any update under this unstable conditions . 

Other comment , that perhaps can help , is when you open orbi app in the smartpones closer to the router scope everything is ok but (with App on the screen and open) you start walking to the satellite , the App starts from the beginning but never open with al the functions , it always searching from an Orby System 

You can not browse Internet from the locations where the satellite supposes to be in control of the smartphoen , when you return to the router locations everything is perfect .

No wire connection from the router to the satelite just Wifi 

No new devices as mentioned 

Some parametes that I saw in ther comments are all disabled (and always work in this way) in the advanced Wireless settings 

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices
Enable MU-MIMO
Enable Fast Roaming

Reported Status from the APP for the general system is OK - Router is Online and Satellite is Online too . All the devices are attached to the corresponding one (no error) but you suffer the stability problems mentioned above . 

Question : Any Ideas ? , is there any possible test to verify if the satellite is working fine or run a troubleshooting or something?

Any help will be appreciated . Thanks in advance

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS50 Connectivity problems and Issues

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

There is more resent version of FW past v4:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

Which you can manually downlaod and manually update the RBR first then RBR lastly:

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

Message 2 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks for answering - Im going to answer all your questions , but a detail from my side (im in Argentina not in the US) 

All the mentioned environment was ruinning perfecrtly weel since 3 years ago . Without any change in distance , connectivity , etc

Answering your questions

1 - What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Provider : Movistar (Telefonica from Argentina) 

ModemModel Firmware

: Askey
: RTV9015VW
: AR_RTK_V10.1.3o

Do you think that some related problems from the ISP can cause this issues in the Satellite behaviour?

2 - What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

3 - What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

About 32/34 feet (no problems until now) (??) 

4 - What channels are you using? Auto?

2.4GHz Channel:Auto
5GHz Channel:48

5 - Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Going to test and lets see 

6 - Any Wifi Neighbors near by?

Yes

7 - If so, how many?

17 Wifi Neighbors (checked Fing App) at 2.4 

8 - Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Going to test and lets see (another engineer recommends me in the past to keep all this features as disabled) but Im going to test.

9 - Try Disabling Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes

Actual Settings

Armor and Circle are disabled

Daisy Chain is enabled

20/40 Mhz coexistence is enabled  

Fast Roaming is desabled (not flaged)

IPV6 is Disabled 

Preambled mode is automatic

10 - Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

No factory reset done since last update . Everything was perfect

Please your recommendations in how to proceed  (all the changes by once in the actual firmware) ? Change the firmware manually and then start with parameters change? 

Thanks for helping Im going to read carefully the users experience you sent me . to see where to start . \

Im terrified because you know Im too far in order to solve any problem related with Orbi whoch used to works perfectly .

Anyway lets see  

Message 3 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

Another question about manual update , let me see if I understood very well . 

1 - I Need to connect a Notebook wired to the Satellite , enter to orbilogin.net to the satellite and the select update manualli (in the meantime RBR 50 is running and connected to the internet) . 

2 - Connect the Notebook to the router (wired) and perform the same step mentioned in Point 1 for the Router

Is this procedure ok ? , because I always update (twice only) the firmware via the App in the smartphone and automatically via wifi in the orbilogin or the Router address in the wifi network ///

Let me know if the procedure is ok - Thanks in advance 

Message 4 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

@AFD wrote:

Thanks for answering - Im going to answer all your questions , but a detail from my side (im in Argentina not in the US) 

All the mentioned environment was ruinning perfecrtly weel since 3 years ago . Without any change in distance , connectivity , etc

Answering your questions

1 - What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Provider : Movistar (Telefonica from Argentina) 

ModemModel Firmware

: Askey
: RTV9015VW
: AR_RTK_V10.1.3o

Do you think that some related problems from the ISP can cause this issues in the Satellite behaviour?

Possible this modem as a build in router and wifi. If so, This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

2 - What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

3 - What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

About 32/34 feet (no problems until now) (??) 

4 - What channels are you using? Auto?

2.4GHz Channel:Auto
5GHz Channel:48

5 - Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Going to test and lets see 

6 - Any Wifi Neighbors near by?

Yes

7 - If so, how many?

17 Wifi Neighbors (checked Fing App) at 2.4 

What channels are they using? Maybe some interferences from your neighbors here that can cause some problems. Try this, turn off the RBS. Use the RBR alone, do you still have problems with out the RBR online? 

8 - Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Going to test and lets see (another engineer recommends me in the past to keep all this features as disabled) but Im going to test.

9 - Try Disabling Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes

Actual Settings

Armor and Circle are disabled

Daisy Chain is enabled <Disable Daisy Chain

20/40 Mhz coexistence is enabled  <Uncheck this box to set 40Mhz only and test.

Fast Roaming is desabled (not flaged)

IPV6 is Disabled 

Preambled mode is automatic

10 - Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

No factory reset done since last update . Everything was perfect

Something to try as last resort. 

Please your recommendations in how to proceed  (all the changes by once in the actual firmware) ? Change the firmware manually and then start with parameters change? 

Thanks for helping Im going to read carefully the users experience you sent me . to see where to start . \

Im terrified because you know Im too far in order to solve any problem related with Orbi whoch used to works perfectly .

Anyway lets see  

Message 5 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

@AFD wrote:

Another question about manual update , let me see if I understood very well . 

1 - I Need to connect a Notebook wired to the Satellite , enter to orbilogin.net to the satellite and the select update manualli (in the meantime RBR 50 is running and connected to the internet) . 

2 - Connect the Notebook to the router (wired) and perform the same step mentioned in Point 1 for the Router

Is this procedure ok ? YES. Using the Orbi app isn't recommended to do FW updates. , because I always update (twice only) the firmware via the App in the smartphone and automatically via wifi in the orbilogin or the Router address in the wifi network ///

Let me know if the procedure is ok - Thanks in advance 

Message 6 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

Going to test everything and taking notes to post - I can see that there are many users with similar issues , so I dont know if satellites have a kind of expiration date (a joke , I hope)  Thanks for supporting . 

Message 7 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Hope you find something that helps. 

Check on the FW update as well. 

Message 8 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

Hi , Saturday - Very rainy in my city (is the right the day to perform the tests) 

Started today early in the morning , so I'm going to update this post as soon as I can continue with the reamaing proposed changes byt @FURRYe38 .

Important : Im going to Post when  all the changes and tests are complete (Status today is Incompleted) 

Testing Activities
Orbi Running in router Mode and ISP Modem with all WiFi and radios are off (from the very begining)
Not Working = Drops Connections

1 - ISP Modem is On bridge Mode (Orbi Satellite - Not working) - Shutdown and restart all the devices 
2 - Channel 2.4 GHz set to 1 (Orbi Satellite - Not working - Reported Red in Orbi App and backhaul Poor)
3 - Channel 2.4 GHz set to 6 (Orbi Satellite - Not working - Reported Green in Orbi App and backhaul Good)
4 - Channel 2.4 GHz set to 11 (Orbi Satellite - Not working - Reported Red in Orbi App and backhaul Good)
5 - Channel 2.4 GHz remains in 11 - Channel 5 Ghz set to 48 (Orbi Satellite - Not Working)
6 - Keeping the same setting in Point 5 - Set Preamble Mode to Short-preamble (Orbi Satellite - Not Working) - Shutdown and restart all  the devices . 

----> To be continued - Lets see and praying - 

Message 9 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

My apologies - I forgot that you have a time blog for editing so I will try to complete the remaining tests asap previous to the factory reset and wired upgrade (which is , at least in my case , a terrible headache , because some insfraestructure cabling and installation done in the first installation . 

Anyway , 

I am in those moments (I hope I am wrong) where you are completely sure that whatever you do is not going to work.

I will try to complete most of the recommended tests , really very appreciated the help and support from @FURRYe38 (Guru)  , before deciding whether to perform an update and factory reset considering all the elements involved in this action.

I leave a following question posted for the kind folks at Netgear Support Technical Group .

If there are so many reported cases of equipment of similar characteristics, with the same symptoms, that stop working after a long time of having worked without problems , and without any apparent cause of changes in the working environment that could have caused the failure , My question is : Where are the support engineers trying to explain and solve all these cases - I was until 3 AM today Saturday searching in the Internet and I can tell you you can count th incidents by hundreds and incredible recommendations like split the 2.4 and 5 channels with different SSIDs via telnet commands and stating that it works in that way (???).

Honestly, it is difficult for me to understand and that for equipment of USD 500 and more, there is no official answer to all these users claims in a clear and concrete statement and perform some corrective actions .

Many of the reported cases are from 2018 .

In addition to all , there are many complaints about the expensive cost of support from Netgear that does not solve anything in all the mentions I have seen until now .

So , my hopes is that there is not an expiration date for the Orbi equipments because of the time that the problems started in many of the cases . 😞

Speaking with some IT colleagues a couple of weeks ago we discussed various topics of home technology and I commented that the best purchases I made in the last 3 years were  2 (and I have bought a lot of technology) one was the SmartPhone (an unknown brand and not very distributed in Latam that I bought in Amazon USA , and the other was the Orbi, also bought in Amazon USA). With the Smartphone I have not been wrong yet (although given the years it is in the process of change) but the management of the Software and the support is more than spectacular (I have reported bugs directly with the ASIA engineers live and by remote control from the SmartPhone directly) "I hope I'm not wrong about the Orbi. It is my sincere hope."

Message 10 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

Testing Activities
Orbi Running in router Mode and ISP Modem with all WiFi and radios are off (from the very begining)
Firmware status today is = V2.3.5.30
Not Working = means Drops Connections and very unstable Internet Service

1 - ISP Modem is On bridge Mode (Orbi Satellite - Not working)
2 - Channel 2.4 GHz set to 1 (Orbi Satellite - Not working - Reported Red in Orbi App and backhaul Poor)
3 - Channel 2.4 GHz set to 6 (Orbi Satellite - Not working - Reported Green in Orbi App and backhaul Good)
4 - Channel 2.4 GHz set to 11 (Orbi Satellite - Not working - Reported Red in Orbi App and backhaul Good)
5 - Channel 2.4 GHz remains in 11 - Channel 5 Ghz set to 48 (Orbi Satellite - Not Working)
6 - Keeping the same settings in Point 5 - Set Preamble Mode to Short-preamble (Orbi Satellite - Not Working)
7 - Were not enabled in my system but checked that Armor , Circle , Fast Roaming are disabled
8 - Enable Coexistence to 40 Mhz Only set to disable (Orbi Satellite - Not Working)
9 - Enable beanforming and Mu-Mimo (Orbi Satellite - Not Working)
10 - Disable Daisy Chain Topology - reboot (Orbi Satellite - Not Working)

Message 11 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

Testing activities for today (enough for me for the moment) 

Firmware status today is = V2.3.5.30
Not Working = means Drops Connections and very unstable Internet Service

6 - Keeping the same setting in Point 5 - Set Preamble Mode to Short-preamble (Orbi Satellite - Not Working)
7 - Were not enabled in my system but checked that Armor , Circle , Fast Roaming are disabled
8 - Enable Coexistence to 40 Mhz Only set to disable (Orbi Satellite - Not Working)
11 - IPV6 was always disabled
12 - Same as 6 - Set preamble mode to Short-preamble , but for the 5 ghz (Orbi Satellite - Not Working)
13 - Set 2.4 ghz Transmit Power to 50 % (Orbi Satellite - Not Working)
14 - Set 5 ghz Transmit Power to 75 % (Orbi Satellite - Not Working)
15 - Steps 13 & 14 return to normal settings 100 %

It took a lot of time because in many cases you need to reboot so ... to be continue lets see if I find some other recomendation on Internet. Im delaying the factorey reset and Fimware update as much as possible because as an Engineer I need to know the root cause (not always possible according the testing results , let's see) .

Message 12 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

I would update FW to v16 manually, factory reset both RBR and RBS and setup from scratch and try using mostly default settings and or settings seen here after FW is updated:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Kinda seems like the RBS is not behaving right....

Message 13 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks . It seems is the next step to be done .
Which is the firmware you mention ? V16?
In the download page the last firmware available for outside is 2.6.1.40 . Send me please , your recomendation about the best FW to be installed .
Thanks in advance
Message 14 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 15 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

OK - Trying 2.5.1.6 instead of the last one 2.6.1.40

thanks for supporting

Message 16 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Hope it works better for you. 

Message 17 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

I was thinking to perform this activity because working hours during weekend , but main router RBR50 started to fail in the same way as the satellite . OMG , Amazing and Incredible . Now I don't have any connections in all the house . 

Netgear's product used to expired after 3 years of no problems?  

What happened with the Netgear Engineers who doesn't pay attention to this type of failures .  

Anyway I will try to perform the loadinf of the  new firmware during tomorrow , Problem I dont know how , because of the failing status in the Orbi router and the Satellite also . 

Lets see . I don't have any optimistic feeling about if the procedure if going to solve this problems . 

@FURRYe38 

Question : If I have the Orbi Router in a turn Off Status , How Im going to perform the load of the new firmware in the Satelliter - Which is the default address to type in the browser to sign in? Do you have a post with a detail procedure in this cases ?

Factory reset to the devices , first loading firmware in the satellite (address?) and then in the router (address) with a wired PC and after that Load the Config file .

Let me know in order to perform the rights steps in the process . Thanks in advance . 

Message 18 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

You can manually load FW to the RBS if it's not connected to anything:

What you need to do is factory reset the RBS. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. 

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR. 

if it's syned to the RBR then just log into the RBS web page and send the FW there directly using the RBS web page:

https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

Use the RBS IP address to access it's web page. 

Then do the RBR, I would already have the FW file downloaded, factory reset the RBR and manaully setup the RBR quicky. You don't need the RBR connected to the ISP modem/ONT. 

Basic following same process as RBS, use the RBRs web page to send the FW file:

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

Message 19 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

It seems satellite was updated normally . 

But router Starts - a Whit blink light is blinking but the `router is in this status (no light) since 15 minutes

I dont know what to do . 

Factory reset again as start again?

2021-02-04 12_50_28-Clipboard.png

Message 20 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? 

So you sent the RBRs FW file? Were you able to log into the RBRs web page after you sent the file? 

Message 21 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

Finally Router is in firmaware 2.5.1.6

According the status get in the orbilogin.net but Problem still remains . Dropping wifi connections every two minutes

Nothing change .

Regarding the Browser I used Chrome . (is there any limitation?) 

Last alternative could be go for the last firmware available . But as I said no hopes .

Amazing failure and amazing support from your side . Is there any way to contact Netgear directly ? a lot of users said is a waste of time , but anyway I'd like to give them an opportinity  before posting  not to use Orbi in the future because of this type of failures reported and as far as I know nobody solve the problem . 

Let me know all youtr thoughts . Remember 3 year without any single problem from the installation . 

Thnaks in advance 

Message 22 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try this newer FW as it's available to everyone:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-Orbi-RBR50-Router-Firmware-Version-V2-7-2-104-Released/m-p...

If the problem still continues after this and a reset, I would presume that the RBS maybe faulty and needs replacting. 

Out of warranty with NG seems to envoke a fee to talk to someone. You might send a PM to @Blanca_O to see what available options are available to you. 

Message 23 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

It is not the satellite but the router is failing also - 

From the scratch - factory reset and new firmware installed 2.7.2.104 (both router and satellite) 

Dropping connections every 2/3 minutes -

Satellite is not syncing and not connected to the router . But testing the router only  and a lot of WIFI drops , so not working is another issue . 

Dont know how to continue - Sending the Orbi to the Garbage? 

Lets see tomorrow If I have another idea . Its enough for me  for today -. 

Message 24 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

Complete Activity List updated with the last tests done (no positive results) 

6 - Keeping the same setting in Point 5 - Set Preamble Mode to Short-preamble (Orbi Satellite - Not Working)
11 - IPV6 was always disabled
12 - Same as 6 - Set preamble mode to Short-preamble , but for the 5 ghz (Orbi Satellite - Not Working)
13 - Set 2.4 ghz Transmit Power to 50 % (Orbi Satellite - Not Working)
14 - Set 5 ghz Transmit Power to 75 % (Orbi Satellite - Not Working)
15 - Steps 13 & 14 return to normal settings 100 %
Now the Orbit Router start failing with same issue as the satellite
16 - Reinstall from scratch Firmware 2.5.1.16 (Orbi router and Satellite are failing)
17 - Reinstall from scratch Firmware 2.7.2.104 (Orbi router and Satellite are failing)
18 - Change ISP DNS Servers to Google DNS in Orbi (Orbi router and Satellite are failing)
19 - Change Google DNS Servers to Cloudfare DNS in Orbi (Orbi router and Satellite are failing)

I will let you know how to continue 

Message 25 of 73
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 72 replies
  • 22 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7