Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 flashing red power light and pulsing white

mask207
Initiate

RBS50 flashing red power light and pulsing white

Thanks to a car taking down a power line about a block away, we had a power surge about a week ago, and one of my RBS50 satellites has been down since then. In the iOS Orbi app and the orbilogin.com website, I saw that the bad satellite had an older firmware version than the V2.7.4.24 firmware installed on the Orbi RBR50 router and the good RBS50 satellite installed in my home, so I assume that the bad satellite is pulsing white on top and has a red flashing power light on the back because of the old firmware. 

1)

My research online showed that I could try to manually update the firmware, so I downloaded V2.7.4.24 for the RBS50 from the Netgear site at https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBS50?_ga=2.237004359.610418451.1654412126-905352782.1654412... but when I tried to extract the IMG file, it says the file is corrupt. Does anyone else have success with this firmware download and extracted IMG file?

2)

I "removed" the bad RSB50 satellite from my network map using the orbilogin.com admin website since the satellite was "not connected" and I was unable to apply a firmware update to it using the web app. I figured I'd try a manual update but then I ran into the corrupt firmware file (#1 above).

So I am stuck - I don't know how to update the firmware on the bad satellite since it is not visible in the network map and also since the firmware file is corrupt during extraction. Can someone please give me step by step instructions (I'm fairly technically savvy but not an IT expert so nothing too technical, if possible).  Do I need to do a hard reset on the bad RBS50 satellite and try to add it to my network again?  Will it automatically update to the current 2.7.4.24 firmware once it's connected to the network again, or does it need to have firmware that matches the existing router and the other satellite before I can connect it?

Thanks so much!

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: RBS50 flashing red power light and pulsing white

Just downloaded the firmware and extracted it without issue. Not sure your exact process you're using is thats giving you that error.

Did you try simply factory resetting and reinstalling the satellite? 

Sometimes it helps to hardwire it into the router for the initial syncing.

Message 2 of 5
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Mask207,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!!

Please bring your satellite close to your RBR50 then do a factory reset. After the factory reset it should populate on the map.

However, if it does not you can connect it to your RBR50 using an ethernet cable then try manually updating your RBS50. 

For more information about factory reset please navigate to the link below:
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

Best,
Kevin
Community Team

Message 3 of 5
mask207
Initiate

Hi Kevin, I tried the factory reset on the bad RBS50v2 satellite after bringing it next to the router, but the power light on the back just continues to flash RED no matter how long i hold the paper clip in to do the hard reset. Is there another way to do the hard reset? I assume this is why I haven’t been able to resync to the router or manually update the firmware, and why this satellite doesn’t appear anywhere within my admin dashboard. Please help, thank you!
Message 4 of 5
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello mask207,

I am sorry the proposed solution did not solve your issue with your RBR50. 

Please PM the following information so I can endorse you to our support team:

Name:
Email:
Phone Number:
Device Model:
Firmware:
Serial Number:
Preferred time to be contacted:
App version:

Please provide this information as soon as possible!
I look forward to hearing from you!

Best,
Kevin
Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7