Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBW30 Wall Plug Satellite causes disconnects with RBK50

Ulairi
Luminary

RBW30 Wall Plug Satellite causes disconnects with RBK50

Per background in this thread, I am continuing to get disconnects with an iPhone that are caused to RBW30 wall plug satellite. 

This has come back again, after firmware updates to the latest versions (RBK50 firmware V2.1.3.4 and the RBW30 at  V2.1.3.6) and a facorty reset on the Router and all satellites (1 x RBS50 and the RBW30) three days ago.

We seem to get approx 3 days of trouble free performance after updating firmware / factory resetting, before the disconnects start up again.  The Iphone reconnects immediately to the network once the RBW30 is turned off. 

This fault has occured ever since I got the RBW30 and has occured with three seperate RBW30 firmware versions:

V2.0.1.4 for router and V2.0.0.34 for the wall plug satellite

V2.0.1.4 for router and V2.0.1.2 for the wall plug satellite

V2.1.3.4  for router and V2.1.3.6 for the wall plug satellite

The RBK50 sysytem (Router and Satellite) are completely stable as long as I don't turn the wall plug satellite on. 

The bottom line is that the RBW30 is unuseable. 

This is frustrating-  not only because it doesn't work but also because my preferred solution (a RBS50 rather than the RBW30) is not available for purchase in New Zealand.  DarrenM - please relay this to the team working on firmware. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Re: RBW30 Wall Plug Satellite causes disconnects with RBK50

As it's not really documented - I'm not convinced it's a great idea to combine the "small" RBS40 Satellite or RBW30 Wall-plug Satellite with thier 2x2 AC 867 Mbit backhaul with the "big" 4x4 AC 1733 Mbit backhaul - if this is a) possible at all, and b) meaningful. 

Only for the Orbi Outdoor RBS50Y the compatibility is documented (because it can work with some Orbi and the Orbi Pro: "Requires Orbi Router (RBR50, RBR40, RBR20 or SRR60 – sold separately)" [this part would be very clear] "or use with your existing Orbi WiFi System" [and that's more then vague again].

Some clarification by Netgear is required here.

However, in other threads we see the RBK50 Paired With Two RBW30 ...

Message 2 of 11
wimmme
Tutor

I suffered from disconnects too when the connection between RBW30 and RBR50 wasn't great. 

I wanted to use the RBW30 to strengthen the signal in my garden shed. 

Now that i have moved the RBW30 in the house having a good connection stability is great.

What's most disappointing is that 2 devices inside my garden shed (a 5$ sonoff (ESP8266 ) and my pool commander) are having decent connections to the RBR50, while the RBW30 was having connection issues just outside the shed. That's not what you would expect from a 150$ repeater from the same ecosystem.

Message 3 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@wimmme wrote:

What's most disappointing is that 2 devices inside my garden shed (a 5$ sonoff (ESP8266 ) and my pool commander) are having decent connections to the RBR50, while the RBW30 was having connection issues just outside the shed. That's not what you would expect from a 150$ repeater from the same ecosystem.

Well possible these to STA connect to the 2.4 GHz radio on the RBR50 - which does normally provide a longer reach, and does pass more walls than a 5 GHz, where the higher channels (because of the higher power allowance) are used for the Orbi (and many other Mesh system) backhaul. Nothing uncommon - but yes, from the consumer/user view this is hard to differentiate.

Message 4 of 11
Ulairi
Luminary

@schumaku wrote:

As it's not really documented - I'm not convinced it's a great idea to combine the "small" RBS40 Satellite or RBW30 Wall-plug Satellite with thier 2x2 AC 867 Mbit backhaul with the "big" 4x4 AC 1733 Mbit backhaul - if this is a) possible at all, and b) meaningful. 

This Wall Plug satellite is supposed to be compatible with the RBR50 router.

Per page 3 of the product data sheet for the RBW30:

"What Do I Need for Orbi to Work? 

• ORBI ROUTER (RBR40 or RBR50) – SOLD SEPARATELY "

The RBK52 is the kit consisting of "1 RBR50 + 2 RBW30"

On the product packaging for the RBW30 it says:

"What Do I Need for Orbi to Work? 

• Orbi Router – SOLD SEPARATELY "

I suspect that they're being non-specific about which routers so that they can keep releasing new routers (e.g. RBR20) 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 5 of 11
wimmme
Tutor

Yes, i do understand that concept.

On 5GHz the connection was very bad, altough only one window and about 15meter free air between the router and the sattellite.

It even connected over 2.4 GHZ to the router; I didn't even know it was capable to do that, it showed a 2.4GHZ connection on the satetellites overview with poor connection. 

And even worse, it made the router sometimes 'reconfigure', or 'resync', making my connections unstable.

I have an old Netgear EX6120 which was capable to do about the same as the orbi: use 5GHz backhaul to extend 2.4 fully.

It was a better setup then with the RBW30 Man Frustrated

Message 6 of 11
Ulairi
Luminary

I've done some testing and have further information.

I tried moving my devices around the house to see how the hand-offs occurred between the router and the two satellites. My iPhone moved around okay - seamlessly transferring between the router and either satellite.  

But when I subsequently tried some different locations with an Android tablet, it lost internet connection when it moved into a room immediately under the router (i.e. where the signal was strong enough for it to switch to the router). When it lost internet, the WiFi connection information on the tablet initially showed "Authentication Problem" .  The tablet then automatically turned off the WiFi and turned it back on again and it reconnected to the Router. 

I think that this is evidence that disconnects are caused by poor hand-off from the RBW30 satellite to the RBR50 router. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 7 of 11
Ulairi
Luminary

Upate for those watching this thread.

I spent time with Level 2 Neatgear Support today.  They believe it is a hardward fault and have issued a RMA for the RBW30 Wall Plug Satellite.  A key aspect was that it wasn't connecting at all via 5Ghz backhaul - even when in the same room as the router. It could be that  the hardware for this channel was bad and this may have been causing the aberant behaviour. 

I'll post an update with how the replacement performs, idc.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 8 of 11
Ulairi
Luminary

Under the support case, Netgear RMA'd the RBW30.  I have had the replacement RBW30 for a three weeks now, However, the second RBW30 does exactly the same thing - both for the disconnects and the backhaul connection only occuring over the 2.4GHz  channel.  In my opinion this points to the fault actually being in the RBR50 router or with the Orbi's architecture rather than being a fault with the wall plug sat hardware.

After the RMA not fixing it, Netgear support then asked me to capture fault logs for all three devices and to send the logs to them via the support case.  I did so within a day of that request and sent them two weeks ago. The support website has been down for an update and I'm still awaiting their feedback. 

However, there have been developments in my situation in the meantime.

Either RBW30 would not initially connect well in my preferred location (downstairs from the router) because both indicated "poor' WiFi backhaul connection.  However, for some inexplicable reason about a week ago the replacment unit managed a 'good' WiFi backhaul connection downstairs, so I moved it down there. 

My son now reports that his disconnects only occur when he carries his iPhone 5S downstairs (i.e goes into the RBW30 coverage area).  This is consistent with his reports of how disconnects manifested when we had it upstairs (that's the main living area).  

This seems to point to:

• The problem is either with the Router or architectural (its been consistent with two seperate RBW30s), and
  • The problem appears to be an issue with hand-off from the RBR50 router to the RBW30 sat. 

I await support's feedback on the logs that I sent them with anticipation ....

Message 9 of 11
Ulairi
Luminary

Still waiting to hear back after the first set of logs were sent.  Netgear have now sent an enmail wanting a second set of logs, but there's no way to get the logs to them (the support website has been playing up for two weeks now). I've raised a new tsupport icket to try and re-establish comms. 

The only ray of sunshine is that the RBW30 has been now able to establish a 'good' connection in the original preferred location.  So I have moved it there. Although functioning, it is still not working normally because it still only connects via 2.4GHz backhaul and it is still causing disconnects on my son's iPhone 5S when he's roams into its broadcast zone.  But he hardly ever goes into that part of the house with his phone so it's not such an issue.

I continue to await Netgear's feedback.

The weird thing is that the other three iPhones in the house (4S, SE and 6S) don't seem to be affected by disconnects caused by the RBW30. 

Message 10 of 11
LB67
Guide

We are also experience disconnects when our duaghters iPhone SE connects to de RBW30:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/iPhone-SE-causing-WIFI-disconnects-only-on-RBW30/m-p/1595511#M...

Netgear, when are you going to solve these disconnects. The RBW30 totally unusable right now. 

Model: RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7