Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Self-Assigned IP Address

ryanjohn04
Guide

Self-Assigned IP Address

On both my iPhone and MacBook I get a No Internet Connection error.  Most of my Orbi settings are on the defaults.  Most of the time when it happens it will eventually start working on its own afte a few mins.  I know the Satelitte itself has an internet connection becuase the cameras that are on them record all the footage fine and there are no gaps.  Anyone have an ideas why this happens.  I end up getting a Self-Assigned IP Address (169.254.157.242) and nothing works for a few minutes or so.  I tried setting a static IP address, it will work for most part but then eventually get the No Internet Connection error.  Thanks

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
ryanjohn04
Guide

Re: Self-Assigned IP Address

Figured out my problem here, the issue was having a 4th satelitte.  As soon as I removed that one everything worked fine.  Was able to recreate the issue if I added the 4th satelitte again.  So I guess a 4th satelitte is indeed a bad idea currently.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello ryanjohn04

What modem is orbi hooked up to does it have a router on it?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4
ryanjohn04
Guide

He Darren- it's an Arris TG862 running in Bridge Mode, I have the Orbi doing the routing as well.  My service works great everywhere and speed is never an issue, it just seems that every once in a while when the intial network connection is made (after my macbook wakes) I get the self-assigned IP and it won't connect to the internet.  Happens on my iPhone sometimes when I am walking around and it switches satelittes.  But all my devices that are connected in perpetuity (like nest cam) I have zero issues with.  

Message 3 of 4
ryanjohn04
Guide

Figured out my problem here, the issue was having a 4th satelitte.  As soon as I removed that one everything worked fine.  Was able to recreate the issue if I added the 4th satelitte again.  So I guess a 4th satelitte is indeed a bad idea currently.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7