Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow WIFI speeds on 750/750 fiber connection

McNetworking
Initiate

Slow WIFI speeds on 750/750 fiber connection

Hello All!

I wanted to post here as I called the Netgear free support line and they think that all routers (Edge Router Lite) must have WIFI and for the Orbi system, when in AP mode, none of the settings that are configurable in the admin console, will apply when enabled or disabled. Clearly I was going to get no help and just waisting my time.

I digress. I bought the Orbi system for two reasons, better WIFI coverage and faster WIFI speeds. The better coverage worked out but the speeds have been less than my Nighthawk R7450. The R7450 could deliver a consistent average of 300/300 Mbps for most of the upper floor of the house, falling off a bit as you went downstairs. The Orbi system has been averaging about 280/160Mbps over both floors of the house. Not impressive compared to the review I have been seeing where speeds have been averaging 400/400Mbps. 

My current configuration is fiber (750/750 Mbps) to the ONT > ethernet to a Ubiquiti Edge Router Lite > ethernet to a Netgear POE switch > ethernet to the rest of the house, including the Orbi router and satellite (wired backhaul). I have tried every combo of settings in WIFI settings and no improvements. Tried all the various channels and no improvement. I udpated the firmware to the latest and still the same. My test devices are a Surface Book and Galaxy S9+, both averaging about the same speed. When I run a speedtest in the Orbi admin console, the reported speeds are as expected.

Just looking to see if anyuone has any ideas, maybe I missed something or maybe there is something better I should be looking at versus the Orbi.

Happy New Year!!

Firmware:
Previous: 2.3.5.30

Current: 2.5.1.8

Speedtest in Orbi admin console:

758/765 Mbps

Advanced WIFI Config:
See attached image

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
McNetworking
Initiate

Re: Slow WIFI speeds on 750/750 fiber connection

Thank you for the reply but all of the things you mentioned were tried before I posted and I even mentioned a few of those in my post. I even tested with just the Orbi router and no satellite. The R7450 still outperformed the Orbi in speed tests.

The switch is a Netgear GS752TXP. I have since replaced the Edge Router Lite with a Netgate XG-7100-1U. The house is 3500 Sq. Ft.

I returned the Orbi system and picked up a couple of Aruba access points.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

Have you directly connected the RBR to the back of the Edge router with out this switch in the mix? 

What are you wired speeds with a PC wire connected to the back of the RBR in AP mode? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

Message 2 of 3
McNetworking
Initiate

Thank you for the reply but all of the things you mentioned were tried before I posted and I even mentioned a few of those in my post. I even tested with just the Orbi router and no satellite. The R7450 still outperformed the Orbi in speed tests.

The switch is a Netgear GS752TXP. I have since replaced the Edge Router Lite with a Netgate XG-7100-1U. The house is 3500 Sq. Ft.

I returned the Orbi system and picked up a couple of Aruba access points.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7