Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wired IP Cameras connected to an Orbi Satellite in garage?

geareason
Aspirant

Wired IP Cameras connected to an Orbi Satellite in garage?

Is it possible to connect wired IP cameras (via powered switches) to an RBS50, and have that feed data through WIFI into the NVR which is wired to the RBK (or another satellite)?

If so, I'd be able to put wired IP cameras into my detached garage without having to run ethernet from the house into the garage.

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 5
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Re: Wired IP Cameras connected to an Orbi Satellite in garage?

Orbi does not provide PoE output power on any ports. You can, however, connect a PoE-enabled switch to Orbi and power cameras that way.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@geareason wrote:

Is it possible to connect wired IP cameras (via powered switches) to an RBS50, and have that feed data through WIFI into the NVR which is wired to the RBK (or another satellite)?

I think, "Yes, and Maybe."  For certain devices connected to a switch which is connected to one Orbi device can communicate with devices attached to any other Orbi unit (even over WiFi).  My uncertainty relates to the specific NVR.  Some NVR's apparently expect cameras to be cabled directly to the PoE ports on the NVR, and the NVR assigns those cameras individual IP addresses from a private IP space separate from the rest of the network.  Accepting a camera "through the network connection" rather than the PoE ports is a software feature.

There should be information in the NVR user manual about this.  I would look for "How to connect network cameras" or something like that.

Message 3 of 5
geareason
Aspirant

Good to know. I'm still researching gear right now but hopefully this is something it's able to do.

Message 4 of 5

@geareason wrote:

Good to know. I'm still researching gear right now but hopefully this is something it's able to do.

Good move. You are more likely to better answers if you provide details of the kit you have in mind. You may even find advice by running a search here for your brand options.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7