Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

changing orbi wi-fi channel

Stetrekve
Follower

changing orbi wi-fi channel

I need to change the channel of my Orbi system to move it away from a neighbor's wi-fi.  How do I get into it to change the channel?  

Stephen

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: changing orbi wi-fi channel

If you remember the administrative password (not the WiFi password), you can use a web browser and go to http://orbilogin.net.  There is a menu item "Wireless" on the Home Page where you can set the chanel for 2.4G and 5G WiFi.

Please understand, all modern WiFi systems constantly scan the enviroment and adjust to find the best channel available at the time.  You may find that as soon as you "move" your Orbi, the neighbor's WiFi may move as well.

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

@Stetrekve wrote:

I need to change the channel of my Orbi system to move it away from a neighbor's wi-fi.  How do I get into it to change the channel?  

Stephen

Message 3 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

The answer is found here:  Message 2 of 3

Message 4 of 7
4UToday
Aspirant

When we change the 2.4 GHz Channel from 9 to 11 and click on apply button, an popup says

"Per Wi-Fi Alliance guidelines for 40 Mhz and 20 Mhz coexistence, even if you select "Up to 400Mbps" mode, your product’s service rate might drop to 20 Mhz. This typically corresponds to 192 Mbps performance." close button.

It takes us back to Wireless settings again. No matter what number we choose the popup keeps coming back and we can't change it. What are we doing wrong?

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Navigate to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings (bottom item), Advanced Wireless Settings.

Notice that the option Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistance is checked. (Here on my Orbi it is not checked.)

CrimpOn_0-1658533533115.png

Enabling this option allows devices to bond two 20MHz channels together to get higher throughput.  However, when a device that is capable of only using a single 20MHz channel is active, the entire channel constricts to 20MHz and devices that are capable of using the full bandwidth are not allowed to.  I find it very confusing to read about:

https://robotpoweredhome.com/20-40-mhz-coexistence-netgear-router/ 

long discussion on Redit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/orbi/comments/johuh7/should_i_enabledisable_2040_mhz_coexistence/ 

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

p.s. On my Orbi, the channel changes either way.  Takes bloody forever to do so, but it does change.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7