Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

connecting orbi to a switch vs directly to dsl modem?

metter
Aspirant

connecting orbi to a switch vs directly to dsl modem?

My current connection:  dsl service comes into house directly into a filter, then 2 outs (one to phone service throughout the house and one to dsl modem).  my dsl modem is then connected to a 16 port switch (where wired connections from other rooms are connected).  I then have a wireless access point connected to my switch - this allows wireless connection to my internal network as well as the internet.  Was thinking about replacing the access point with the orbi (which i bought today).  Finally, my question:  can i connect the orbi to my switch instead of to my modem so that it can function as an access point to my wired network just like i'm configured now?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
swrtwdrv
Apprentice

Re: connecting orbi to a switch vs directly to dsl modem?

Yes, and set Orbi to AP Mode.  If you miss this during setup, you can change it in the Orbi ADVANCED page in Advanced Setup.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
rhester72
Virtuoso

Yes - in AP mode, that's exactly how it works.  It doesn't matter if it's connected directly to the modem or a switch off the modem.

Your other option is to switch your modem to bridged mode and use the Orbi as both your router (firewalling, etc.) and your AP.

Rodney

Message 2 of 5
swrtwdrv
Apprentice

Right on.  Connect 16 port switch to Orbi, and Orbi to modem.

Message 3 of 5
metter
Aspirant

Thanks - so can i connect the orbi to the 16 port switch only (no direct connection to the modem - only through switch) just as i do now with the wireless access point?  Am I following you correctly?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 4 of 5
swrtwdrv
Apprentice

Yes, and set Orbi to AP Mode.  If you miss this during setup, you can change it in the Orbi ADVANCED page in Advanced Setup.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7