Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

orbi and fibre broadband

TrevReav
Aspirant

orbi and fibre broadband

Hi, I've been using my orbi setup for about 18 months now with 'normal' broadband. Today I've just upgraded to fibre broadband and was expecting to be able to just 'plug n play' and orbi would be up and running, but no.

The orbi just sits there glowing purple and doesn't connect. I've tried restarting everything, but still nothing. 

Any thoughts?

thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: orbi and fibre broadband

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Has the ONT and Orbi router both been powered OFF first, then power ON the ONT, let it sync, then power ON the Orbi router? 

Any prior ISP configurations with last service? If so, might try a factory reset and setup from scratch if power cycle method fails. 

Message 2 of 17
plemans
Guru

@TrevReav wrote:

Hi, I've been using my orbi setup for about 18 months now with 'normal' broadband. Today I've just upgraded to fibre broadband and was expecting to be able to just 'plug n play' and orbi would be up and running, but no.

The orbi just sits there glowing purple and doesn't connect. I've tried restarting everything, but still nothing. 

Any thoughts?

thanks in advance. 

Most fibre instllations aren't plug and play. we need a little more info to go off.

Orbi still requires a modem or modem/router combo device to connection to. What is your's? Model/brand/firmware.

Is it a straight modem device or is it a combo device? If its a combo device, the orbi will need to be in AP mode.

In terms of your orbi, if its pulsing magenta here are the reasons:

Pulsing magenta. Your Orbi router ring LED might pulse magenta for the following reasons: the WAN port link is down, the router is unable to get the IP address from the modem or ISP, or the router is unable to connect to the Internet.

Most likely if it was working before that its unable to get a IP address or unable to connect to internet. Find your modem info and look at its manual to find out how to pass through to the Orbi. 

Message 3 of 17
TrevReav
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. My orbi is the RBR30, I think. An older version not on the drop down list.
The newly supplied fibre router is a FRITZ!Box 7530, which was configured by my isp to automatically connect to them.
I’m pretty stupid when it comes to networking stuff!
Yes, everything has been restarted. I let the Fritz get up and running and connect, then powered up the orbi, and nothing.
Message 4 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible you may have a conflict in IP addressing since the modem has a built in router.

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Try Option #2, or #3 

@TrevReav wrote:
Thanks for the reply. My orbi is the RBR30, I think. An older version not on the drop down list.
The newly supplied fibre router is a FRITZ!Box 7530, which was configured by my isp to automatically connect to them.
I’m pretty stupid when it comes to networking stuff!
Yes, everything has been restarted. I let the Fritz get up and running and connect, then powered up the orbi, and nothing.

Message 5 of 17
TrevReav
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies everyone - new day, new challenges for me! 

You're all a lot more knowledgeable than me, and using phrases like NAT, DMZ, IP Pass through mean nothng to me!

The big problem I have is that I've lost my original set of instructions on how to set the Orbi up, and I'm flying a bit in the dark.

So from what I can gather - try and disable the WiFi on the Fritz!Box, and restart everything again?

Thanks again everyone.

Message 6 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. 

Can the modem be bridged? Might ask your ISP about this. 

Having two routers online will be problematic. You need to get to having just 1 router online. You may want to set up the Orbi system in AP mode as seen in the links for option #3. 

@TrevReav wrote:

Thanks for the replies everyone - new day, new challenges for me! 

You're all a lot more knowledgeable than me, and using phrases like NAT, DMZ, IP Pass through mean nothng to me!

The big problem I have is that I've lost my original set of instructions on how to set the Orbi up, and I'm flying a bit in the dark.

So from what I can gather - try and disable the WiFi on the Fritz!Box, and restart everything again?

Thanks again everyone.

Message 7 of 17
TrevReav
Aspirant

Hi FURRYe38, thanks again.
I've just found out this morning (in the UK here) how to turn off the WiFi through the web browser control panel. I'm a bit busy with work at the moment (it always seems to get in the way of playtime), so may not get a chance to try until the weekend.

At least now I have a plan of attack in my head thanks to everyones help.

Much appreciated.

Message 8 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink Let know how it goes. 

Message 9 of 17
TrevReav
Aspirant

Still no luck I'm afraid. So I'll probably just stick with the Fritz!Box router and get an add on to go with that. Shame.

Message 10 of 17
plemans
Guru

Have you tried ap mode?
Here's a video walking you through how to place orbi in ap mode.
https://youtu.be/3YwkjTXrlsA
Message 11 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes try AP mode if you can. Disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. 

@TrevReav wrote:

Still no luck I'm afraid. So I'll probably just stick with the Fritz!Box router and get an add on to go with that. Shame.

Message 12 of 17
Chuck_M
Mentor

@TrevReav wrote:

I've just found out this morning (in the UK here) how to turn off the WiFi through the web browser control panel.

Much appreciated.

I think we all knew that merely turning off the WIFI in the original router would not solve your issue.

To make this work, you have one of three options

1.  Call your ISP and ask them to help you BRIDGE your original modem

2.  Configure Orbi to operate in Access Point (AP) mode instead of router mode

3.  Return it and do nothing which doesnt help you at all.

Let us know what your plans are.  If your ISP is unwilling to do #1, #2 is fairly straighforward.  

Message 13 of 17
TrevReav
Aspirant

"I think we all knew that merely turning off the WIFI in the original router would not solve your issue." - I didn't.

Once again, work is getting in the way of things, so I'll give the AP route a go over the weekend.

And once again, thanks everyone for your input(s).

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out. Sounds like the weekend maybe a good time for you hopefully. Smiley Wink

@TrevReav wrote:

"I think we all knew that merely turning off the WIFI in the original router would not solve your issue." - I didn't.

Once again, work is getting in the way of things, so I'll give the AP route a go over the weekend.

And once again, thanks everyone for your input(s).

Message 15 of 17
TrevReav
Aspirant

It's only gone and worked (like you all knew it would - you just had to lead Dumbo to the solution by his ears)!

After much faffing around, and not being able to connect to Orbi via my Mac interface (not connected to the internet etc.) I somehow managed to get there via the web browser on my phone - the iPhone app is limited - to switch it into AP mode.

But guess what? Using Speedtest and other internet speed apps, I seem to be constantly getting better speeds that directly from my Fritz!Box. Even in the farthest corners away from the Modem, the speeds on my phone are comparable to standing next to the Fritz originally. 

Very pleased - thanks all for the recommendations and help.

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad its working well now. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know for future reference.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@TrevReav wrote:

It's only gone and worked (like you all knew it would - you just had to lead Dumbo to the solution by his ears)!

After much faffing around, and not being able to connect to Orbi via my Mac interface (not connected to the internet etc.) I somehow managed to get there via the web browser on my phone - the iPhone app is limited - to switch it into AP mode.

But guess what? Using Speedtest and other internet speed apps, I seem to be constantly getting better speeds that directly from my Fritz!Box. Even in the farthest corners away from the Modem, the speeds on my phone are comparable to standing next to the Fritz originally. 

Very pleased - thanks all for the recommendations and help.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7