Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

outdoor receiver antenna for orbi

pryner
Aspirant

outdoor receiver antenna for orbi

I have a rbr50 ac3000 with one inside satellite and one rbs50y outdoor satellite.  The system works well and I can get high speed internet from anywhere in my one acre lot.  I have a second block building about 75' from the outdoor satellite and cannot get a decent signal from the outdoor satellite.  Short of purchasing another expensive rbs50y can anyone recommend a receiver antenna I can mount on the building that will work with the rbs50y?  I assume i will need a router inside connected to the antenna to provide wireless throughout the building.  Any special requirements for the router?  Any help is certainly appreciated.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: outdoor receiver antenna for orbi

From what I can see, Netgear does not sell an outdoor rated WiFi access point besides the RBS50Y, which as you have noted is expensive.

There are solutions which will provide coverage to the block building, but there are no solutions that will integrate with the Orbi.

Would there happen to be a window in the block building that faces the outdoor Orbi?

If so, you might consider placing a WiFi extender (any brand) in the window where its antennas are visible to the Orbi and also visible to devices within the building.

Message 2 of 8

@pryner wrote:

I have a second block building about 75' from the outdoor satellite and cannot get a decent signal from the outdoor satellite.  .

That's a strech for consumer grade wifi.

Are the buildings on the same power circuit?

Message 3 of 8
pryner
Aspirant

Actually they are on separate electrical systems.  Each has its own meter and main box

Message 4 of 8

That rules out Powerline.
Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

I was entirely serious about "is there a window in the building that faces the RBS50Y."

This is one situation that I think calls for a "Range Extender".  They are widely available and dirt cheap.

Netgear's EX3700 is $30: Amazon Link 

TP-Link's RE220 is $23: Amazon Link 

TP-Link's RE450 is $59: Amazon Link 

The more they cost, the higher the throughput.

They can all be programmed to have the same WiFi name/password as the Orbi.  All are designed to be connected to a standard electrical wall outlet.  I would use an extension cord and stand it in the window facing the RBS50Y.  Window glass typically does not impede WiFi signals as much as concrete block.  Every device inside the block building should "see" the antennas, as should the RBS50Y.

I'd spend $30 to try this if the alternative is 10 times as much.

Of course, no window = "sorry. My Bad."

Message 6 of 8
pryner
Aspirant

no direct facing window.  One faces south almost purpendicular to the satellite which is to the west.  There is one west facing window but it is 20' to the north of the satellite and more than 30' away from the satellite.  I like the idea though and the cost is low enough to give it a try.

Thanks

Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Please report what happens.  30ft. in open air is not such a big deal if the RBS50Y is currently covering an acre.  The key is that the antennas have to be visible to the Orbi and to the inside.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7