Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

slow wifi performance

Audi4Rings
Aspirant

slow wifi performance

Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can provide some insight regarding my wifi speed at home.  I recently upgraded my broadband speed from 300Mbps and Gigablast from Cox cable.

I'm using Netgear CM1100 modem + Netgear Orbi RBSK50 mesh (firmware 2.5.1.16) + RBR50 (firmware 2.3.5.30) which I tried to update the RBR firmware multiple times but keeps failing.

All 3 of my laptops are less than 2 years old so the devices should be able to handle the download speed.  However, the max download I'm getting is around 200Mbps.  

Any thoughts or ideas?  Thanks

Model: CM1100|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS 3.1
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: slow wifi performance

Any progress on this? 

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 14

All Replies
Audi4Rings
Aspirant

BTW, I updated the firmware to the latest for the RBR50.  2.5.1.16.  Still slow internet on wifi connected laptops

Message 2 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Depending upon connection rates see at the device and design and support of wifi performances, you'll not see anything much over 400-500Mbps on wifi speeds tests on AC mode. Contact the Mfr to see what rates and performances your devices are designed for. 

https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Wired LAN cable speeds should see near 900Mpbs on the down. 

Message 3 of 14
Audi4Rings
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Depending upon connection rates see at the device and design and support of wifi performances, you'll not see anything much over 400-500Mbps on wifi speeds tests on AC mode. Contact the Mfr to see what rates and performances your devices are designed for. 

https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Wired LAN cable speeds should see near 900Mpbs on the down. 

Thanks FURRYe38 but I'm not even getting half that speed is my concern.  I get an avg of 200Mbps on all devices (mobile and laptop).  Something is definitely off.

Message 4 of 14
Audi4Rings
Aspirant

There are NOT checked by default.  Do you recommend I check these?  

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices
Enable MU-MIMO
Enable Fast Roaming
Message 5 of 14
Audi4Rings
Aspirant

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. Test with those enabled. You can disable afterwards if needed. 

Message 7 of 14
Mikey94025
Hero

What tool are you using to measure your speeds?  Instead of the Orbi site or app, use something like speedtest.net or their app to ensure accurate results.  Even apps on a small mobile device may not give you the best results due to hardware limitations.

Also, do not assume that because Comcast gives you "N" service then you should see "N" in the tool.  For best results, run the tool on a wired computer connected directly to your Comcast modem to give you a top baseline.  Then, you can compare wired and wireless speeds to your Orbi.

Finally, don't expect that your wireless speeds will match your top wired speeds.  Wireless has other overhead, encryption, etc. and other real world conditions that will limit performance.

Message 8 of 14
Audi4Rings
Aspirant

@Mikey94025 wrote:

What tool are you using to measure your speeds?  Instead of the Orbi site or app, use something like speedtest.net or their app to ensure accurate results.  Even apps on a small mobile device may not give you the best results due to hardware limitations.

Also, do not assume that because Comcast gives you "N" service then you should see "N" in the tool.  For best results, run the tool on a wired computer connected directly to your Comcast modem to give you a top baseline.  Then, you can compare wired and wireless speeds to your Orbi.

Finally, don't expect that your wireless speeds will match your top wired speeds.  Wireless has other overhead, encryption, etc. and other real world conditions that will limit performance.

Hey Mike94025: thanks for your response and I'm aware the wired vs wireless speed won't be the same.   I'm using multiple speed test sites and results are now an avg of 220Mbps (wireless).    Wired speed is around 750Mbps (Cox cable).   I've attached my link speed from the wireless device properties so the results should be pretty close but it isn't.   

Message 9 of 14
Mikey94025
Hero

@Audi4Rings wrote:
Hey Mike94025: thanks for your response and I'm aware the wired vs wireless speed won't be the same.   I'm using multiple speed test sites and results are now an avg of 220Mbps (wireless).    Wired speed is around 750Mbps (Cox cable).   I've attached my link speed from the wireless device properties so the results should be pretty close but it isn't.   

That link speed appears to be the theoretical maximum for the network connection and not an actual measure of your connectivity bandwidth.  The 468Mbps comes from here, apparently a property of the 80Mhz channel width: http://www.revolutionwifi.net/revolutionwifi/2013/04/first-look-80211ac-gigabit-wi-fi-speed.html . Note how in this article the author says he measured 190Mbps in his testing on that 468Mbps theoretical maximum link. 

What does the link speed show when you were hardwired to your cable modem?  I suspect it says 1GB (assuming you have it connected to a 1Gb and not 100Mb network port) regardless of your actual internet Comcast connection bandwidth limit.

This article describes some of the differences between wireless link speed and actual, real world, limits: https://superuser.com/questions/1222561/what-does-the-link-speed-of-a-wifi-connection-depend-upon

Message 10 of 14
Audi4Rings
Aspirant

Thanks for the links and the NIC prop shows Gb.   Appreciate all the feedback!
Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

Message 12 of 14
Audi4Rings
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Any progress on this? 

I didn't enable the 3 check boxes and my speed now is 917.16Mbps from the Netgear device.  Appreciate the follow up!

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements