× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Advice asked for home network setup

blauw
Aspirant

Advice asked for home network setup

Hello, 

Hope some of you in this community can give me some advice on how to best setup my network. 

I have a cable modem from my ISP which is set to bridge mode

A Linksys VELOP sytem with multiple wireless nodes (but the question is about my wired network :))

Two switches: a GS108E and a GS108PE

The wired network has the following things that need to be attached:

Two PoE Dahua network cameras

A Synology DS720+ NAS

An Ajax alarm system

A Mac Mini

A Philips HUE bridge

A SONOS Boost

A Solar Edge inverter for my solar panels

So, 1 item too much to do this with an 8 port switch, so I need to use both switches. What would be the best setup?

Cable modem > Velop > GS108PE > GS108E

(the velop has 1 port in and 1 port out and all other devices are spread over the ports of the switches)

This is my current setup. And weirdly enough I can't see the switches in the Velop. Also, I can't access them in the browser of the Mac Mini which is connected to the GS108PE. In the Netgear app on my iPhone I can see the assigned network address: 192.168.0.239 - same for both switches !?! -weird. Also, every item in my network has a 192.168.1.X address. The switches have 192.168.0.X

Would it be better to do it like this?

Cable modem > GS108PE > and give both Velop and GS108E a port in the GS108PE

Anyone an idea why I can't access the switches?

Many thanks in advance for your input. 

Model: GS108E|8 ports ProSafe Plus switch, GS108PE|8 ports ProSafe Plus switch with PoE
Message 1 of 3
blauw
Aspirant

Re: Advice asked for home network setup

Edit: I rebooted everything. First the Velop, then the PE and then the E. 

Now they got different 192.168.1.X numbers assigned and I can log into them. 

(to find out that link aggreggation is not possible with the PE 😉

Leaves my question to: what is better: to connect the switches to the Velop, or connect the Velop to a switch. 

Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Advice asked for home network setup

The Smart Managed Plus and Pro switches might booting and timeout much faster than the Velop might do - and the dhcpd will run into a timeout. Instead of retrying, these swiches fall back to the the default IP config if DHCP does not succeed. Configure a fixed IP config to these switches.

Afraid, I have no idea about the second port on the Velop behaviour in router and/or in AP mode.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements