× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't connect the Roku to my Netgear GS108ev3 switch

Phihtr
Aspirant

Can't connect the Roku to my Netgear GS108ev3 switch

Hi there,

I just bought a Netgear GS108Ev3 switch, and have a problem connecting my Roku player to the switch. I connect my switch to my cable modem, and connect my Roku to one of the ports on the switch, and connect my laptop to one of other port on the switch. My laptop has internet access but Roku don't. What would be the problem, please help. Thanks

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Can't connect the Roku to my Netgear GS108ev3 switch

Hi Phihtr,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks,

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Phihtr, 

Welcome to the community! 

You'll probably need a router instead of a switch, a basic modem can only give a single IP address. Since you have used the PC/Laptop, it already obtained the IP address from the modem. The reason why the Roku player does not get an IP is because the modem can only provide 1(one). The switches' job is to receive and send traffic so it has nothing to do with IP addressing. 

I hope this helps, if you have more questions please feel free to ask. 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 5
Phihtr
Aspirant

Thanks JohnRo.

So that I have to connect my Roku to the router, and the router connect to the switch, the switch connect to the modem? or I have to connect the router to the switch, and connect the switch to the router, and the router connect to the modem? I have Netgear GS108ev3 8-port switch, so how many computer can I connect to the switch?

Thank again for your help.

Message 3 of 5
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Phihtr,

The connection will be Modem>Router>Switch and then the computers. The Modem will supply the internet, the router will translate the internet IP from Public to Private and the serve as the DHCP server. The router will give the devices an IP address for each device plugged into it and the switch. You'll have a total of 7 ports available on the switch for the computers/devices. 

Thanks,

Message 4 of 5
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Phihtr,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks,

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements