× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't log into managed switches

BarrLynd
Tutor

Can't log into managed switches

I manage several of these switches on multiple sites. Since the latest firmware update, I cannot log into them. I've read on this forum that the "fix" is to factory reset them and then reload the configuration - I can't believe that this was marked as the solution on a previous post.

You can put the password in wrong once, and it will tell you that you've done so, but putting in the correct password absolutely nothing happens when you click on go or hit enter.

Screenshot 2021-12-05 183307.jpg

As you can see above, this also happens on the GS108Tv3.

Come on Netgear, you need to find a fix or at least a better workaround to this.

Model: GS752TPv2|48-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP Ports (380W)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
BarrLynd
Tutor

Re: Can't log into managed switches

I think this may have been caused by certain special characters being present in the password (in my case a question mark "?") at the timeof upgrading the firmware. You can perform the firmware update but can't get in subsequently.

I upgraded a switch that I could previously get into, and was locked out at the login screen. The difference was that the new firmware has the CLI built in, so I managed to get in using PuTTY and change the password to an identical one, just without the illegal character. After this I could log back into the GUI.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Small nightmare "security" fix (adding a new security issue in fact).

@BarrLynd wrote:

I manage several of these switches on multiple sites. Since the latest firmware update, I cannot log into them. I've read on this forum that the "fix" is to factory reset them and then reload the configuration - I can't believe that this was marked as the solution on a previous post.

Don't think a factory reset an change anything.

@BarrLynd wrote:

You can put the password in wrong once, and it will tell you that you've done so, but putting in the correct password absolutely nothing happens when you click on go or hit enter.

Following one failed login - I think the failed password will show in the URL at that point - we are busted. Call the connection URL again (just http://xyz/), enter the right password, and just click the button (don't use the Enter key).

@YeZ any update on this systematic security fix issue?

Message 2 of 3
BarrLynd
Tutor

I think this may have been caused by certain special characters being present in the password (in my case a question mark "?") at the timeof upgrading the firmware. You can perform the firmware update but can't get in subsequently.

I upgraded a switch that I could previously get into, and was locked out at the login screen. The difference was that the new firmware has the CLI built in, so I managed to get in using PuTTY and change the password to an identical one, just without the illegal character. After this I could log back into the GUI.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements