× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connection between 2 switches

iamSteve
Guide

Connection between 2 switches

I own several netgear switches but have a question relating to a link between:-

GS724Tv3 - 24 Port Gigabit Pro Safe

GSS108EPP – 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Managed Plus Click Switch

I currently use a single CAT 6 between these devices, however I have a 2nd CAT 6 between them but not connected.  Can I do anything with ports 23T/24T and two ports on the 8 port switch to impove connection speed between these two switches.  I obvioulsy need to avoid creating loops and realise it my just create a bottle neck elsewhere.

Steve.

Model: GS724Tv3|24 ports ProSafe Gigabit Smart switch
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Connection between 2 switches

Hi Steve,

Yes, you can: Create a Static LAG (Link Aggregation Group) on both switches.

Note: It has to be static because of the 116EPP does not support dynamic/LACP. Don't connect the second connection before both ends are configured - in case something goes bullocks, you can always disconnect the cable again.

-Kurt

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Hi Steve,

Yes, you can: Create a Static LAG (Link Aggregation Group) on both switches.

Note: It has to be static because of the 116EPP does not support dynamic/LACP. Don't connect the second connection before both ends are configured - in case something goes bullocks, you can always disconnect the cable again.

-Kurt

Message 2 of 8
iamSteve
Guide

Easy when you know how!  Smiley Happy

Thanks!

Message 3 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Many different names are used in the industry for the same - LAG, aggregation, bonding, ... - essentially all doing the same. Now you can also connect your NAS, your high performance workstation, ... to the network. Just create one LAG for each device.

Enjoy! 

Message 4 of 8
iamSteve
Guide

I have also discovered that I can do the same to my Asus router on Lan Ports 1 and 2, however on my netgear GSS108EPP it appears I have to select LAG 1 from Ports 1 to 4 and LAG 2 from ports 5 to 8?

Why do I not have the option to set LAG1 to 5 and 6, Lag 2 to 7 and 8?

Is this restriction to do with hardware setup or just the firmware?

Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

This is a strange UI design limitation only. Very unlikely this is a switch silicon limitation.

@YeZ can't this random limitation not be removed on the GSS (and while talking on the Nightawk Gaming Switches)? Especially on the PoE model here where LAG usage on PoE port is not that common? The UI code does exist for many similar Smart Managed Plus switches, so no rocket science. Thank you for considering!

Message 6 of 8
iamSteve
Guide

Well I tried the connection, set up both switches plugged in, then I notices one was at 1000Mb and the other was at 100Mb.

I re booted both switches, they both came back as 1000Mb and looked to be working.

Later in the day I was having issues on my Asus router showing that my wireless password was incorrent when devices tried to connect, I then found out that the ports had returned to 100Mb/1000Mb.  Once the 100Mb link was removed all went smoothly again???

I have not bonded the router to the first switch just switch 1 and 2 together then had this issue.

Any Ideas?

ASUS Router > Single Cat6 > Port 7 on 8Port switch.....

Port 3 & 4 on 8Port Switch to Poer 23 & 24 on 24 Port Switch

All cables check out fine.

LAG GS724T.JPGLAG GSS108EPP.JPG

Message 7 of 8
iamSteve
Guide

Update to the above, the link between both netgeat switches appears to be working now, I have issues to the Asus that I will open a new question for.

It looks like the Cat 7 patch lead was twisted 180 deg to plug into one of the switch ports and this was causing it to connect at 100Mb not 1000Mb rate upsetting the LAG settings.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements