× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ESX Virtual Switch Tagging and Netgear GS108TV3 Config

stevefxp
Apprentice

ESX Virtual Switch Tagging and Netgear GS108TV3 Config

Hello all,

I have an 8 port GS108Tv3 switch and I am trying to configure virtual switch tagging on my ESX server that is attached to this switch. The ESX server has 6 ports coming from it, broken up as follows:

A) 2 ports in a static LAG on vlan 1 for the ESX management network

B) 4 ports in a static LAG for vlans 10,11,12,20,30 for the internal networks that my vms will reside on.

I have setup all the port groups on the ESX side to have the vlan set appropriately(10,11,12,20,30). I have set the LAGs on the switch to be tagged. In checking some VMware kbs they are giving me different info. The first one, https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1003806, talks of setting the ESX server ports on the switch to be trunk and you are good to go. If I read https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1004074 it goes into more detail, in that I need to also go into the routing side of the switch and define IP subnets associated with the vlans.

So here I am...anyone got some word on doing this?

Thanks,
Steve

Model: GS108Tv2|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit smart switch
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: ESX Virtual Switch Tagging and Netgear GS108TV3 Config

Hello Steve,

@stevefxp wrote:

8 port GS108Tv3 switch

virtual switch tagging on my ESX server that is attached to this switch. The ESX server has 6 ports

A) 2 ports in a static LAG on vlan 1 for the ESX management network

B) 4 ports in a static LAG for vlans 10,11,12,20,30 for the internal networks that my vms will reside on.

I have setup all the port groups on the ESX side to have the vlan set appropriately(10,11,12,20,30). I have set the LAGs on the switch to be tagged. In checking some VMware kbs they are giving me different info.

Re-think if you need

• all the VLANs tagged,
  • if for example the ESX management should be accessible untagged, for example at least on your LAN;
  • four GbE ports in a LAG - especially if considering there are just two GbE ports left to handle all the VMs and the five networks (and IP subneworks) therefore

How you intend to access the VMs (isolated into five networks, and five IP subnetworks)? 

Create the similar set-up on the switch should be similar

1. Define the VLAN 10, 11, 12, 20, 30 on the switch
  2. Remove the default untagged VLAN 1 membership from the ports intended for the VM-VLANs
  3. Create the two LAG with the intended ports
  4. Define the LAG to handle the VLANs (all or all-1 - mind you only one can be operated untagged) this needs to match the virtual switch config.

A little bit confused what you want to achieve here on the switch, and not less than total six networks in general.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements