× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS728TPv2 strange behavior all aps' going down.

gotty101
Aspirant

GS728TPv2 strange behavior all aps' going down.

Hello, hopefully you can help me. The last few days ive installed a GS728TPv2 which power four Ubiquiti u6-pro access points. The cable to each one is cat6a and the cable tester said all is good. 

When i setup the GS728TPv2 i updated the firmware to 6.0.10.14 and left the settings initially to the defaults.

Today i opened my phone to run a speed test and it switched to 4g as the access point went down. looking at the logs it looks like all 4 went down at the same time. beyond the 4 aps nothing else is connected to the switch, and this just goes back to the router from the broadband provider currently.

I logged into the switch and saw this on the trap log

TrapLog.png

and this was the memory log

MemoryLog.png

if it was one or two aps going down then i would think cable issue, but it looks like all 4 went down at the same time. Can anyone give me any pointers what to look at/check please?

Many thanks

Trev

Message 1 of 10
gotty101
Aspirant

Re: GS728TPv2 strange behavior all aps' going down.

This is a pic of the port stats

Port Stats.png

Message 2 of 10
gotty101
Aspirant

Just an update. On the section where it lists all the poe port states. Only one evr says delivering power, the othere 3 ports just say searching. When it plays up often the port that says is delivering power would change to another one. I've found when I do a speed test, some times you will see the speed build up and then just drops out and the test fails. But all the access points start flashing live the power has glitched.
Message 3 of 10
schumaku
Guru

The switch web UI page  System > PoE > Advanced > PoE Port Configuration would show much more useful information on the current PoE port status, indeed.

The GS728TPv2 can drive up to 24 PoE+ 802.3at ports and offers a max power budget of total 190W.

As the other peer we face UniFi https://dl.ui.com/ds/u6-pro_ds.pdf lazily specified as PoE+ 

Power method PoE+
Power supply UniFi PoE switch
48V, 0.5A PoE adapter (optional)
Supported voltage range 44—57V DC
Max. power consumption 13W

Ubiquity does still list a lot of confusing and misleading data. in the industry standard 802.3af/802.3at/802.3bt arena nobody should have to care about  adapters, power information like 48V, 0.5A, or voltage range like 44—57V DC. they are still stuck in their non-industry standard passive power over network cabling terminology.

802.3at and max consumption of 13W does say everything clear.

Hard to say what is going on there, looks more like an interop issue.

Message 4 of 10
gotty101
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, to help test things, today i swapped out the switch and just plugged all 4 ap's into a GS305P and its been totally stable. So its got to be to do with the GS728TPv2 for sure now.

ive looked at the System > PoE > Advanced > PoE Port Configuration screen and only one port (only for poe devices and one back to the switch) ever said drawing power, the rest said searching. I hadnt change any of the default poe settings that the switch is supplied with. One thing though was if i unplugged the device that was listed as drawing power then the screen would update one of the other three that where still plugged in and mark that as drawing power. 

Trev

Message 5 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Hello Trev,

@gotty101 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, to help test things, today i swapped out the switch and just plugged all 4 ap's into a GS305P and its been totally stable. So its got to be to do with the GS728TPv2 for sure now. 

This does not proof that much - except that we know now these APs are kind of operational off specs, and don't show any signs of information and warning about this.

The GS305E does only supply 802.3af and max 15.4W - so it's under the requirements set by the AP vendor. 

PSE have two ways to classify a PD and are free to use either. The basic is one used by by most simple 802.3af units is the hardware-based method where a specific resistance is presented when the PSE presents the classification voltage.

Starting from higher class levels, it's all software-based making use of the the Link Layer Discovery Protocol (LLDP) requirement. And this is where I suspect the interoperability issues might come from. Aside, not the first similar PSE and PD interop issue in this industry - various vendors were affected by similar effects over the time.  

@gotty101 wrote:

ive looked at the System > PoE > Advanced > PoE Port Configuration screen and only one port (only for poe devices and one back to the switch) ever said drawing power, the rest said searching. I hadnt change any of the default poe settings that the switch is supplied with. One thing though was if i unplugged the device that was listed as drawing power then the screen would update one of the other three that where still plugged in and mark that as drawing power. 

Here a complete screenshot with one active PD (AP) would be interesting to see.

Message 6 of 10
gotty101
Aspirant

Hi thanks for the reply, right this morning i messed about again. So the main cable is solid screened cat6a with screened cat6a patches either end. If i replace the patch cables to just a standard non screened one, the devices show. Even tried with brand new cat6a screened patch leads and when i do it goes back to how it was.

gotty101_0-1669193330498.png

Trev

Message 7 of 10
gotty101
Aspirant

Just to test this further, i have since plugged in a hikvision camera and a ubiquity nano hd ap with the original format that would not show on the poe menu of screened cat6a patch to screened cat6a sold main back to the switch where it goes back to a screened cat6a patch and it worked fine (plugged into g11). So its only these new u6-pros that seem funney and are happy as long as there is a break in the screen connection either at the ap end or the switch end. Will try and do some more tests.

Could it be linked to the class the nano hd was class 0 hikvision camera class 1

gotty101_0-1669196509097.png

Message 8 of 10
gotty101
Aspirant

Right so final bit of digging. 

Originally i had all 4 aps, connected via solid code Shielded cat6a with a Shielded cat6a patch at either end (one going into the ap and one going into the switch). At any time in this setup only one device on the poe port config page would show as delivering power. 

But if i swap one of the ends to a unshielded cat6a or cat5 patch on each run to each ap then all 4 show fine in the poe port config page. I can even swap one back to a shielded cat6a patch and it still shows. The issue is when there is more than 1 run with shielded cable. 

During my testing where i was using shielded cable through out (from switch to AP), as i plugged in another ap the activity lights would go out on the others. I thought is there a short between a core to the shield and i have checked this with a good quality digital multi meter and no all is perfect, so it cant be that. I even did a resistance check with the ap plugged in at the end of the run (measuring at the switch side) to see if its something in the POE PSU in the AP and no still no short at all. 

It just seems to only be happy when one end has unshielded patch on each ap run.

Trev

Message 9 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@gotty101 

Thanks for sharing. I have always thought that CAT6a is for some special cases and it looks like it may cause you a trouble bringing no benefits.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements