× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to assign static IP addresses for ports on a GS524Ev2 switch

lordbyronxxiv
Aspirant

How to assign static IP addresses for ports on a GS524Ev2 switch

I just bought the GS524Ev2 24 port gigabit smart managed plus switch to connect my home ethernet jacks. I also want to organize the network so that I avoid any duplicate IP assignment or conflicts. I was under the impression that I could assign each port on the switch a static IP address but I can't find info on that. If the switch does not allow that then does anyone have suggestions of best practice or settings that can be used to avoid creating network conflicts? I have AT&T U-Verse internet, and I do see in the router that I can give the connected devices static IP's, but I was hoping to use the switch to manage since the router only shows whats connected. Any help is appreciated

Mike

Model: JGS524Ev2|ProSafe Plus 24 ports gigabits switch
Message 1 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@lordbyronxxiv,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy 

There is NO option to assign static IP addresses on the ports of the JGS524Ev2 or to any switch. However, you can assign a static IP address to the JGS524Ev2 for ease of management.  

Kindly check the the settings of your router if there is a function to reserve an IP address for each device that will be connected on your network. 

Here are the steps below on how to assign a static IP Address on the JGS524Ev2: 

1. Disconnect the JGS524Ev2 switch from your existing network.  Connect a PC to a LAN port of your JGS524Ev2 switch.

2. Set a static IP address of 192.168.0.210 to your PC.

3. Open a browser like Google Chrome or Firefox then at the address bar of it, type 192.168.0.239 then press Enter. Login to the user interface of switch. Enter "admin" and "password" as the username and password respectively without the quotation marks.

Note: The default IP address of JGS524Ev2 is 192.168.0.239. 

4. The Switch Information page displays. In the DHCP Mode menu, select Disable.

5. Enter a static IP address that is within the IP range of your existing network in the field provided.  Also, enter the corresponding subnet mask and default gateway then click Apply.

Note: You will lose access to the web-GUI of the JGS524Ev2 because you have just change its IP Address which is normal.

6. Connect a LAN port of the JGS524Ev2 to your router.  

7. Set your PC/laptop to "Obtain an IP Address Automatically."  Then connect it to a LAN port of the JGS524Ev2. 

8. Open a browser like Google Chrome.  Then, at the address bar of it, type the static IP Address you have set to the JGS524Ev2 then press Enter.  If you are able to access it, then it means that the JGS524Ev2 is now a part of your existing network.

Note: You may also perform a connectivity test.  Open command prompt on your PC/laptop then ping the static IP address you have set to the JGS524Ev2.  If you receive replies then it means that the GS108Ev3 is reachable within your existing network. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
lordbyronxxiv
Aspirant

Thank you for the info, just to clarify, you mentioned 2 different model numbers in there, I assume that was a mistype? I had actually already set the switch to a static, it was connected to the network already so I was just able to set DHCP Mode to disable on the switch and keep the existing IP settings in there. Since I can’t statically assign IP’s is there any “best practices “ I can use to help reduce network traffic or congestion? Obviously I will set up QoS but I didn’t know if VLAN’s or anything would make a difference. This is just a home network.
Message 3 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@lordbyronxxiv,

Thank you for the info, just to clarify, you mentioned 2 different model numbers in there, I assume that was a mistype? 

It was a mistype and I have already corrected it. 🙂  

Since I can’t statically assign IP’s is there any “best practices “ I can use to help reduce network traffic or congestion? Obviously I will set up QoS but I didn’t know if VLAN’s or anything would make a difference. This is just a home network.

You may configure VLANs if you want to segregate your home/office/private network from guests.  However, it would be best that your router is a VLAN-aware router. 

Check the physical connections.  Be sure that the ethernet cables are properly plugged-in.  

Make sure that your JGS524Ev2 is on the latest firmware version.  The latest JGS524Ev2 firmware is v2.6.0.48 and you can download it here.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 6
lordbyronxxiv
Aspirant

Thank you for the info. One last quick question, when you mentioned setting up vlans make sure the router is vlan aware, how can you tell. My router is an AT&T U-Verse router model 5268AC. It does not have the ability to set up vlans, does that mean it is not vlan aware? The only device physically plugged into it is the switch, but it does have wireless, and we have many wireless devices like phones and tablets in our house. The devices that we use for watching media, like our Amazon Fire Cube are all plugged in hardwire though, as well as the desktop computers. Would it even be worth it or even possible to use vlans on the switch? Thanks in advance.
Message 5 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@lordbyronxxiv,

I apologize for the late response.  

Thank you for the info. One last quick question, when you mentioned setting up vlans make sure the router is vlan aware, how can you tell. My router is an AT&T U-Verse router model 5268AC. It does not have the ability to set up vlans, does that mean it is not vlan aware? 

Since the AT&T U-verse router model 5268AC does not have the capability to set up VLANS, it means that it is not a VLAN-aware router.  

A VLAN- aware router is needed because it is where you can configure a DHCP server for each VLAN that you will create on the switch.  Check this old article here as an example.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements