× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear GS108E, fritzbox 7590

pbecks1963
Follower

Netgear GS108E, fritzbox 7590

Hello all,

I need to set up a second network so i can test a pc with opnsense on it. (firewall) I don't want to mess up my primary network so i bought a managed switch and was hoping to do the following:

wan ---> Fritzbox 7590 (router/firewall) --> managed switch --> first network (vlan1) -->

--> opnsense firewall (vlan2) second network -->

I've been trying to set up 2 vlans's in the managed switch but it's not working or not stable. This is what i have so far:

utp-cable from the fritzbox is on port 8 of the netgear, i want vlan2 on port 1 of the netgear

VLAN ID 1 Port 12345678

VLAN ID 2 Port 1

VLAN ID 1 U U U U U U U U (1 -8)

VLAN ID 2 U (port 1)

PORT PVID

1        2

2        1

3        1

4        1

5        1

6        1

7        1

8        1

Any tips?

Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: Netgear GS108E, fritzbox 7590

Here again as a reminder: A Gigabit Plus switch like the GS108E (or for example the GS308E) is a Gigabit Ethernet Plus Switch, does come with amazing configuration options for VLANs (plus some) 

It's correct on how Netgear has changed the naming as shown in the May 2022 Release Notes "Changed the name of the manual from Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switches User Manual to Gigabit Ethernet Plus Switches User Manual. This should make the three different switch classes more obvious.

in general, most FritzBox routers seem to come from the stone age network times, a small valley of the river Düssel in the German state of North Rhine-Westphalia, Yes, Neanderthal (worth a visit, regardless!). Read there is no comprehensive VLAN implementation, except that some Fritz allow to configure the guest network as a tagged VLAN, but not the primary network. Said that, you need two physical links for the primary (normal) LAN and the Guest network from a dedicated port each.  

Where this config for the guest LAN is possible as a tagged VLAN, you can think about starting your project there, while you don't have to think about cascading multiple routers.

@pbecks1963 wrote:

I've been trying to set up 2 vlans's in the managed switch but it's not working or not stable. This is what i have so far:

utp-cable from the fritzbox is on port 8 of the netgear, i want vlan2 on port 1 of the netgear

You can't magically create two networks from s single Fritte LAN. Look out for the guest network VLAN config option. This allows to have this guest LAN on a dedicated port with a tagged link. 

@pbecks1963 wrote:

VLAN ID 1 Port 12345678

VLAN ID 2 Port 1

VLAN ID 1 U U U U U U U U (1 -8)

VLAN ID 2 U (port 1)

PORT PVID

1        2

2        1

Definitively a no-go having two VLANs untagged - and this on the same physical link.

With two physical links, with one carrying the normal LAN and it's IP subnet to a VLAN capable switch linked to an access port (Untagged), and set the PVID to that very same VLAN ID - plus another dedicated link carrying the Fritz Guest LAN tagged. This does allow to have two dedicated VLANs on the switch. From there you can start your experimenting.

Some guidelines and ideas can be found eg. here https://administrator.de/forum/tagged-vlan-switch-netgear-108-e-mit-fritzbox-7530-562054.html - note we're not AVM, and don't have big experience on that other brand routers. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements