× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Only 40mbps internet speeds on GS308 switch when connected to 100mBps devices

Vivek143123
Aspirant

Only 40mbps internet speeds on GS308 switch when connected to 100mBps devices

Hi Community,

I have been having this issue with my home connection that have few 100mpbs devices that I want to connect to the switch to offload strain on WiFi. Some of these are smart TVs and fire tv. What I realize is I don’t get anything more than 39-40mbps Of internet speeds on these devices. On the contrary, when I connect to my router ports I get close to 90mbps. Can some one help me with this.

Apologies if this is a duplicate post, but couldn’t find one.
Model: GS108v4|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit unmanaged switch, GS308E|8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch
Message 1 of 4
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Only 40mbps internet speeds on GS308 switch when connected to 100mBps devices

@Vivek143123,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

It seems that you are having issues with your network speed if you are connected directly to the switch. This is just a plug-and-play unit, have you tried to use another cable just to isolate? How many devices are connected to the switch? Have you tried connecting only 1 device then do a speedtest?

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
Vivek143123
Aspirant

Re: Only 40mbps internet speeds on GS308 switch when connected to 100mBps devices

Thanks for the reply. I did use a different cable and the same cable when connected directly to my router gets be close to 100 mbps. So it’s not the issue with the cable. Further, I just have 4 devices on the router and even with only one I have the same issue.
Message 3 of 4

You did not put down your router model but it sounds to me like your router port and the switch port that your router is connected to have not properly negotiated speed and/or duplex.  But I'm having difficulty visualizing what you are plugging in to what, actually.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements