× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Struggling with VLAN configuration

chrisb1234
Aspirant

Struggling with VLAN configuration

Hello everyone,

I have strange issues when configuring VLANs on the GS310TP:

• Most of my UniFi devices reset when changing the VLAN config of the GS310TP even though the affected devices are not behind the GS310TP and are not dependend on the GS310TP (assumption: I'm doing something super crazy within my GS310TP config without being aware of)
  • I'm loosing access to the management interface to the GS310TP when changing the PVID to 10 (my management VLAN) and removing the membership of VLAN=1 from the uplink port

Starting point is this config (management VLAN is already set to 10):

Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-25 um 15.25.40.pngThis is working. g1 is the uplink, g2 is just for testing at this point, g8 is an access point. The other ports are trusted devices (VLAN20) or untrusted devices (VLAN40). As you can see, im using the VLANs 10, 20, 30, 40.

When I'm changing the PVID from g1 to 10 the above described problems occure.

Obviously I'm doing something stupid. Please give me a hint, I can't figure out atm what mistakes I'm doing here (maybe I'm a bit confused about the difference of the PVID and the VLAN memberships?!?)

Thanks

Model: GS310TP|NETGEAR® S350 Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 SFP Ports
Message 1 of 3
chrisb1234
Aspirant

Betreff: Struggling with VLAN configuration

Screenshot is not working. Next try:

test.png

G1: Uplink

G8: Access Point (VLAN aware)

Rest: Trusted (20) and Untrusted (40) devices

Management VLAN: 10

No Access when changeing PVID of g1 to 10?!?

The restart of the UniFi devices seams to be independet of the VLAN config (but related to STP). I will create a separate topic to avoid confusion.

Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Betreff: Struggling with VLAN configuration

Chris,

@chrisb1234 wrote:

Screenshot is not working.

In-line imaged are under mandatory moderation - Netgear moderators need to check inline images and allow the publication. It works, just takes time to become visible.

@chrisb1234 wrote:

Next try:

test.png

G1: Uplink

G8: Access Point (VLAN aware)

Rest: Trusted (20) and Untrusted (40) devices

Management VLAN: 10

No Access when changeing PVID of g1 to 10?!?

Hard to say what an how the other network devices and the router(s) are configured. By rule of thumb; I see g1 has four VLAN members, all tagged.

The usual way UniFi devices re managed and retain the access to the UniFi local or the cloud controller is using an untagged network. Why ever, especially on g1 and g8 I see _no_ untagged VLAN configured.

If the admin access is for whatever reason lost when changing the PVID from 1 to 10, this ready to me like there is some reason why the untagged frames on g1 need to go to the VLAN 1 for whatever unknown reason. Is the VLAN 10 on the next switch hop configured as a tagged VLAN 10? Is the management VLAN on the Netgear switch configured to VLAN 10? And so on.

Best advice would be to keep for troubleshooting one of there access ports  (g2..g7, or g9..g10) on VLAN 1 [U]tagged and PVID 1.

Here again, if disabling STP (however the rest of your network is configured ...) can't magically fix something. It would just "protect" that some port will be disabled because of a potential network loop. Reads like you fight some more ghosts on your network environment.

Grüsse
-Kurt.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements