× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: VLAN Network Segregation - GS108E

gfvalvo
Guide

VLAN Network Segregation - GS108E

Hi everyone.

I want to isolate my Guest WiFi access point from the rest of the resources on my network using VLANs. I think the GS108E (or GS116E) will do this.

Please see attached diagram. The Private network ports on the switch would be assigned to VLAN 10 (blue) and the Guest network port(s) assigned to VLAN 20 (red). Port 1 would be assigned to both VLANs and connect modem / router.

While this is a really simple VLAN application, I want to make sure that the switch has more advanced capabilities that I might need as my network grows and evolves. So, I have a few questions:

* Does GS108E (GS116E) support VLAN trunking so I can transport multiple VLANs between different switches on a single cable?

* Does GS108E (GS116E) have a built-in web server so I can configure / control it by typing its IP address into a web browser? Or, must I always use the “ProSafe Plus Switch Utility”?

* I’ve read that these switches need to be configured / controlled over VLAN 1. Suppose I want to do this using the PC connected to Port 4 in my drawing. Does that mean I’d have to add Port 4 to VLAN 1? Would I do so in the (U)ntagged mode? Would I still keep Port 4’s Default VLAN ID (PVID) set to VLAN 10?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Greg

VLAN 02.jpg

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
gfvalvo
Guide

Just got my 16 port switch from Amazon:

NETGEAR ProSAFE GS116E 16-Port Gigabit Desktop Web Managed (Plus) Switch

Turns out it CAN be configured via web interface. Only needed to use the utility to set its IP address, then can do everything via web. I'm happy.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi gfvalvo,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Both GS108E and GS116E supports VLAN trunking (Port Tagging in NETGEAR terms).  

The GS108Ev3 can be both managed using the ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility or via its web-GUI by typing its IP address to a web browser.  Check this link: GS108Ev3 FAQs

The GS108Ev1, GS108Ev2, GS116Ev1 and GS116Ev2 can only be managed using the ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility.  Check these links below: 

GS108E FAQ

GS116Ev2 FAQs

By default, all ports belong to VLAN 1 which is the management VLAN.  From your example, you may leave port 4 untagged to VLAN 1 with PVID=1.  So everytime you want to manage the GS108E or GS116E switch, you will need to connect a PC to port 4. 

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 7
gfvalvo
Guide

Thanks for the reply DaneA!

Two follow-up questions:

* Is there also a 16 port switch that supports management by web-GUI? A GS116Ev3 perhaps? Or, maybe this one:

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-16-Port-Gigabit-Desktop/dp/B00GG1AC7I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

* I want to use the PC connected to Port 4 for switch management AND I want it to be part of the VLAN 10 “community” so it can communicate with all the resources on the “Private” VLAN 10 (and be segregated from “Public” VLAN 20). Is this possible? If so, how do I set up VLAN membership, tagging, and PVID?

Thanks again.

Greg

Message 3 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi gfvalvo,

I'm afraid that there is no GS116Ev3 yet.  I would recommend you the GS516TP instead.  The GS516TP is a PoE smart rackmount switch.  You can either manage it via its web-GUI or by using the Smart Control Center utility installed on a PC.  Check these links below for more details:

GS516TP FAQs

ProSAFE® Gigabit PoE/PoE+ Smart Managed Switches Data Sheet

GS516TP – ProSAFE 8-Port Gigabit Smart Switch with PoE and 2 fiber SFP ports

About using VLAN 10 as the management VLAN, I suggest that the IP address of the switch should be within the IP range of VLAN 10.  Set port 4 as untagged port member of VLAN 10 with PVID=10.  Read about 802.1Q VLAN Configuration on pages 24-26 of the ProSAFE Plus Switch Utility User Guide here

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 7
gfvalvo
Guide

Thanks again DaneA.

The GS516TP seems to be more money than I’m interested in spending on this project. I can live with management via the Configuration Utility if I have to. But, please see this switch at Amazon:

It says “Web Managed” right in the title. Is that Amazon’s error?

I’m still confused about the management VLAN. From what I’ve read in various posts on the Netgear web site, the GS108E and GS116E switches MUST be managed with VLAN 1.

So maybe it’s not possible to manage it from my Port 4 PC if I want that port to be on the “Private” VLAN 10? Maybe I need to dedicate another port to VLAN 1 and only use it when switch management is necessary?

Or, maybe I should just make VLAN 1 my "Private" VLAN and keep VLAN 20 as the "Guest" VLAN?

Please help clear this up!!!

Greg

Message 5 of 7
gfvalvo
Guide

Just got my 16 port switch from Amazon:

Turns out it CAN be configured via web interface. Only needed to use the utility to set its IP address, then can do everything via web. I'm happy.

Message 6 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi gfvalvo,

I'm glad that you got your GS116E switch from Amazon and if you can configure it via a web interface then its much better. 🙂 

It seems that your concern(s) is now resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Cheers,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements