× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Add 3rd adapter to an existing PowerLINE 1000 + WiFi network.

yawarmurtaza
Aspirant

Add 3rd adapter to an existing PowerLINE 1000 + WiFi network.

Hello, 

I have successfully installed PowerLINE 1000 + WiFi https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/PLW1000.aspx#tab-techspecs and everything is working as expected which is good.

I have a need for wired network in another room and I dont know which PRODUCT i should buy that will join existing power line network. I am not looking to buy a pair, just 1 adapter that will join existing network. A product name or link would be much appreciated. 

Regards

Yawar

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions

Re: Add 3rd adapter to an existing PowerLINE 1000 + WiFi network.

@yawarmurtaza wrote:
I have a need for wired network in another room and I dont know which PRODUCT i should buy that will join existing power line network.

Most recent Powerline devices follow the AV standard, which means that you can mix different makes and different generations. The only issue if that if you add "AV1000" plugs to a network with "AV500" plugs they will talk to each other at the speed of the slowest plugs on the network.

When you do add plugs to an existing network, you should follow these instructions:

Powerline Networking | Powerline Ethernet | NETGEAR

Remember, you need only one "source" plug connected to the router.

One other thing to consider, in theory you can mix brands but it isn't always easy to get set them up.

@yawarmurtaza wrote:
I am not looking to buy a pair, just 1 adapter that will join existing network.

Most suppliers of Powerline devices, including Netgear, sell pairs. You may find it hard to buy a single plug.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12

All Replies

@yawarmurtaza wrote:
I have a need for wired network in another room and I dont know which PRODUCT i should buy that will join existing power line network.

Most recent Powerline devices follow the AV standard, which means that you can mix different makes and different generations. The only issue if that if you add "AV1000" plugs to a network with "AV500" plugs they will talk to each other at the speed of the slowest plugs on the network.

When you do add plugs to an existing network, you should follow these instructions:

One other thing to consider, in theory you can mix brands but it isn't always easy to get set them up.

@yawarmurtaza wrote:
I am not looking to buy a pair, just 1 adapter that will join existing network.

Most suppliers of Powerline devices, including Netgear, sell pairs. You may find it hard to buy a single plug.

Message 2 of 12
yawarmurtaza
Aspirant

Hi  michaelkenward

Thanks for clearing this up. Could this be confirmed please?

With an existing powerLine network using PLW1000 with wifi, should PL1200 be added to enhance the network?

On the compare products page (netgear website) under Powerline Technology both adapters are "Homeplug AV2 compliant" 

Regards

Yawar

Message 3 of 12

@yawarmurtaza wrote:

With an existing powerLine network using PLW1000 with wifi, should PL1200 be added to enhance the network?

I don't know what you mean by "enhance", it won't go any faster, but if you just want to add another plug,  the PL1200 would be fine.

Message 4 of 12
yawarmurtaza
Aspirant

Hi  Micheal,

You have already mentioned that the slowest adapter's speed will be used so "enhance" did not mean increasing the speed. I meant to say extend the network by adding PL1200 powerline plugs. The subject of this thread is clear enough. 

Thanks for the confirmation though.

Best Regards
Yawar

Message 5 of 12
skashanchi
Aspirant

I have the same issue expect that I would like to add multiple powerline wi-fi expenders. But the main issue here is what somone alluded to as well: how does one buy JUST the expenders? I do not need a whole new kit (adapter + extender). Why would Negear create a system like this if no one is to sell the additional extenders? Netgear clearly indicates that we can add up to 8 (I think) additional extenders to the system.

Message 6 of 12

Sadly, it seems that all makers of Powerline stuff insist on selling bundles, at least two but sometimes more.

Remember that you can also use a Powerline plug as the LAN end of a wifi access point. So you don't need another wifi plug to extend a wireless network. You do, though, have to find that single plug!

Another thing to consider is that, in theory at least, you can mix and match different brands. So if you can lay your hands ion a singleton you are one step nearer your goal.

Message 7 of 12
arisgiavris
Aspirant

Sorry, but I am new to yopur community.

I have the PowerLINE 1000 + WiFi network.

My question is simple: I would wish to expand the network to more rooms of my home. 

What devices of Netgear I must buy?

Thank you.

Model: PLW1000|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 8 of 12
arisgiavris
Aspirant

Sorry, but I am new to yopur community.

I have the PowerLINE 1000 + WiFi network.

My question is simple: I would wish to expand the wireless network to more rooms of my home. 

Thank you.

Message 9 of 12
arisgiavris
Aspirant

Hi.

Reading all the answers, I cannot find what has to do someone in order to add an extender to an existing Powerline network.

Netgear does not make extenders? We must buy a whole new kit?

Aris

Message 10 of 12

@arisgiavris wrote:

Hi.

Reading all the answers, I cannot find what has to do someone in order to add an extender to an existing Powerline network.

>>> Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network <<<

It is also in the manual for every bundle on sale.

Netgear does not make extenders? We must buy a whole new kit?

I don't know what you mean by "extenders", but, like most Powerline makers, Netgear does not sell single plugs. You have to buy a package that contains the plugs you want.

Message 11 of 12

@arisgiavris wrote:
I would wish to expand the network to more rooms of my home. 

Most recent Powerline devices follow the AV standard, which means that you can mix different makes and different generations. The only issue if that if you add "1000" plugs to a network with "500" plugs they will talk to each other at the speed of the slowest plugs on the network.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7