× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PL1200 keeps disconnecting

gemarcano
Follower

PL1200 keeps disconnecting

This issue may be similar to the one described here. The only difference is that I have a PL1200 instead of a PLP1200.

So, I've been having this issue for a few months where the PL1200 start dropping packets after some time. After 5 minutes of trying to connect through them the connection to the internet is re-established, but a faster solution is to unplug one of the PL devices and plug it back into the outlet. For reference, my home network looks like this:

Internet <-> PL1200 <-> PL1200 <-> Router <-> Everything else

I can vouch for the router, since I've had it for a year and used it in a different home connecting it directly to the external Internet line, and it never dropped the signal. As far as I can tell, my Internet is also not the one that is faulty on the ISP's side, since I don't have an issue with the connection when I bypass the PL devices. As a result I'm 95% sure the issue is due to something between, and/or including the PL devices. I don't believe the electrical wiring of my home is the problem, since there seems to be a pattern to the disconnecting. The PL devices tend to disconnect after a period of low network activity. I've only had them drop the connection once or twice while I was playing games online. I've seen some people comment that this may be a problem due to the power saving feature of the PL1200 devices... but currently there is no way to disable this feature. I found this in the PLP1200 FAQ:

Disabling the standby mode: is that possible maybe via software?

Yes, that’s possible; however, we did not support this in current genie (2.3.1.61). We are working on adding the PL1200 product to have this functionality in genie by the end of 2015.

Any news on this front?

Message 1 of 2
clithes
Prodigy

Re: PL1200 keeps disconnecting

This functionality still hasn't been added to Genie (as of version 2.4.20) unfortunately.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7