× Get free training on Switching for AV over IP and receive AVIXA Credits. Sign up at NETGEAR.academy

Re: M4300 configuration as AV network access switch

adeeb_taqui
Aspirant

M4300 configuration as AV network access switch

Greetings to all,

I want to know the way to configure new M4300 network switches as AV network access switch for below requirements.

I want to create a management vlan with (provided Management IP: 10.70.1.228;Subnet mask : 255.255.255.0;Gateway: 10.70.1.250)-  as assigned by client based on their core network.

Assign one port as uplink trunk to existing core switch.

assign all other ports to AV vlan2 provided by client. This vlan is an existing vlan reserved for AV.

As per Netgear, vlan 1 has been configured SDVoe. But now as vlan 2 would be configured for Av, how should I apply/duplicate configuration of vlan 1 to vlan2 and then disable vlan1.

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

OK, here's how you could do it

1/ Connect to the M4300 switch, per the Installation Guide

Not sure if you want to use CLI or the Web GUI, I am going to assume Web GUI for now. Since you want to assign VLANs on all ports, it might be better for you, initially, to connect via the OOB (out-of-band) port. This port is a Gigabit Ethernet port for the Management CPU only. If you connect your computer to that OOB port using an Ethernet cable, make sure to configure your computer with a static IP address in the 192.168.0.0/16, like 192.168.0.100. Then you can launch your web browser and access the M4300 switch via its OOB port by entering  192.168.0.239. Enter admin for the user name, leave the password field blank, and click the
LOGIN button. The Web GUI page displays. Please remember to click the blue button APPLY before leaving each page below:

2/ Create the VLANs

Go to Switching\VLAN\Basic\VLAN Configuration and find the table called VLAN Configuration at the bottom of the page. Only VLAN 1 (default) should be present. You can use the blank fields at the top to add the two new VLANs. Enter 2 in VLAN ID, AV in VLAN Name, let Disable in Make Static and click the blue Add button. Re-do the same for the second VLAN: Enter 5 in VLAN ID, Management in VLAN Name, let Disable in Make Static and click the blue Add button.

3/ Configure the Management VLAN and the IP address of the M4300 switch

Go to System\Management\Management Interfaces\IPv4 Management VLAN Configuration and find the first section at the top of the page. Enter 5 in Management VLAN ID, keep Routing Mode as Enabled, select Manual as Configuration Method and enter your supplied IP Address  10.70.1.228,  Subnet Mask   255.255.255.0 and Gateway 10.70.1.250.  Click the blue Apply button.

4/ Assign one port as an uplink trunk to the existing core switch 

I am going to assume you have an M4300-12X12F and you want to assign the first fiber port (port number 1) to the uplink. Go to Switching\VLAN\Advanced\VLAN Trunking Configuration and find the large table called Switchport Configuration. Click the first row (Interface 1/0/1 meaning Switch 1 -  Physical Interface - Port 1) to select it, and start the configuration for that port 1. Select Trunk in Switchport Mode dropdown list at the top of the second column, let Acces VLAN ID empty, Select 5 in Native VLAN ID dropdown list at the top of the fifth column and Select 2 in the Trunk Allowed VLANs list at the top of the last column. Click the blue Apply button.

5/ Assign all other ports to AV VLAN 2

Stay on this Switching\VLAN\Advanced\VLAN Trunking Configuration page. Select all rows from Interface 1/0/2 (port 2) to Interface 1/0/24 (port 24). To do that, you can click the button at the very top left (will select all rows) and don't forget to un-select the first row (Interface 1/0/1 you have already configured). Start the configuration for ports 2 to 24. Select Access in Switchport Mode dropdown list at the top of the second column, Select 2 in Access VLAN ID dropdown list at the top of the fourth column, let Native VLAN ID empty at the top of the fifth column, and let Trunk Allowed VLANs empty in the list at the top of the last column. Click the blue Apply button. 

With 4/ and 5/ you have effectively "disabled" VLAN 1 which is not used anywhere any more. To verify it, you can go to  Switching\VLAN\Advanced\VLAN Membership (nothing needs to be done here).

6/ Configure AV VLAN 2 for SDVoE (with same Multicast configuration as default VLAN 1)

- Go to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\Configuration: check that all three IGMP Snooping Configuration Admin Mode, Validate IGMP Header and Proxy Querier mode are ENABLE
- Go to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\Interface Configuration: all interfaces should show DISABLE in Admin Mode
- Go to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\IGMP VLAN Configuration: we should show VLAN 2 in the IGMP VLAN Configuration table.  Select VLAN 2 in that table by clicking the second row and start to configure that VLAN: Select ENABLE in the Admin Mode dropdown list,  Select ENABLE in the Fast Leave dropdown list, Membership interval 260, Maximum Response Time 10, Multicast Router Expiry Time 0, Report Suppression DISABLE and Proxy Querier ENABLE. Click the blue Apply button
- Go to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\Multicast Router Configuration: all interfaces should show DISABLE in Admin Mode
- Go to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\Multicast Router VLAN Configuration: it should be empty
- Go to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\Querier Configuration: Querier Admin Mode should show ENABLE, Snooping Querier Address should show 0.0.0.0 (used for querier election priority - I am assuming there isn't another querier in the network - if this is not the case, please ask your customer if a master querier should be used for instance on the core switch and if yes, since the lowest IP number will be taken into consideration for the querier election process, insert a higher number here than the one on the core switch, for instance, 99.99.99.99), IGMP Version 2, Query Interval(secs) 125 and Querier Expiry Interval(sec) 255
- Go to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\Querier VLAN Configuration: we should show VLAN 1 only at this stage. We are going to add VLAN 2:  Enter directly 2  in VLAN ID field at the top of the first column, select ENABLE in Querier Election Participate Mode dropdown list, enter 0.0.0.0 or 99.99.99.99 (same as for the general Querier configuration above) in VLAN Address Querier, and click the blue Add button
- Go back to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\Querier Configuration: now we should show VLAN 2 at the bottom of the page, under VLAN IDs Enabled for IGMP Snooping Querier
- Go to Maintenance\Save Config, or click the little "floppy disk" icon at the top of the page

This should be it, all done and ready to connect the M4300 switch to the core switch (via its Port-1 here), and all your SDVoE encoders and decoders are now "plug & play" on all other ports.

I hope this helps, let us know how it goes!

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 14

All Replies
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @adeeb_taqui 

Thank you for your message, let the Community help you!

Can you tell what is the VLAN number of the target Management VLAN? 

With that missing info, we should be able to guide you

Regards,

Message 2 of 14
adeeb_taqui
Aspirant

Management vlan is vlan5

And vlan2 is for AV devices
Message 3 of 14
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

OK, here's how you could do it

1/ Connect to the M4300 switch, per the Installation Guide

Not sure if you want to use CLI or the Web GUI, I am going to assume Web GUI for now. Since you want to assign VLANs on all ports, it might be better for you, initially, to connect via the OOB (out-of-band) port. This port is a Gigabit Ethernet port for the Management CPU only. If you connect your computer to that OOB port using an Ethernet cable, make sure to configure your computer with a static IP address in the 192.168.0.0/16, like 192.168.0.100. Then you can launch your web browser and access the M4300 switch via its OOB port by entering  192.168.0.239. Enter admin for the user name, leave the password field blank, and click the
LOGIN button. The Web GUI page displays. Please remember to click the blue button APPLY before leaving each page below:

2/ Create the VLANs

Go to Switching\VLAN\Basic\VLAN Configuration and find the table called VLAN Configuration at the bottom of the page. Only VLAN 1 (default) should be present. You can use the blank fields at the top to add the two new VLANs. Enter 2 in VLAN ID, AV in VLAN Name, let Disable in Make Static and click the blue Add button. Re-do the same for the second VLAN: Enter 5 in VLAN ID, Management in VLAN Name, let Disable in Make Static and click the blue Add button.

3/ Configure the Management VLAN and the IP address of the M4300 switch

Go to System\Management\Management Interfaces\IPv4 Management VLAN Configuration and find the first section at the top of the page. Enter 5 in Management VLAN ID, keep Routing Mode as Enabled, select Manual as Configuration Method and enter your supplied IP Address  10.70.1.228,  Subnet Mask   255.255.255.0 and Gateway 10.70.1.250.  Click the blue Apply button.

4/ Assign one port as an uplink trunk to the existing core switch 

I am going to assume you have an M4300-12X12F and you want to assign the first fiber port (port number 1) to the uplink. Go to Switching\VLAN\Advanced\VLAN Trunking Configuration and find the large table called Switchport Configuration. Click the first row (Interface 1/0/1 meaning Switch 1 -  Physical Interface - Port 1) to select it, and start the configuration for that port 1. Select Trunk in Switchport Mode dropdown list at the top of the second column, let Acces VLAN ID empty, Select 5 in Native VLAN ID dropdown list at the top of the fifth column and Select 2 in the Trunk Allowed VLANs list at the top of the last column. Click the blue Apply button.

5/ Assign all other ports to AV VLAN 2

Stay on this Switching\VLAN\Advanced\VLAN Trunking Configuration page. Select all rows from Interface 1/0/2 (port 2) to Interface 1/0/24 (port 24). To do that, you can click the button at the very top left (will select all rows) and don't forget to un-select the first row (Interface 1/0/1 you have already configured). Start the configuration for ports 2 to 24. Select Access in Switchport Mode dropdown list at the top of the second column, Select 2 in Access VLAN ID dropdown list at the top of the fourth column, let Native VLAN ID empty at the top of the fifth column, and let Trunk Allowed VLANs empty in the list at the top of the last column. Click the blue Apply button. 

With 4/ and 5/ you have effectively "disabled" VLAN 1 which is not used anywhere any more. To verify it, you can go to  Switching\VLAN\Advanced\VLAN Membership (nothing needs to be done here).

6/ Configure AV VLAN 2 for SDVoE (with same Multicast configuration as default VLAN 1)

- Go to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\Configuration: check that all three IGMP Snooping Configuration Admin Mode, Validate IGMP Header and Proxy Querier mode are ENABLE
- Go to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\Interface Configuration: all interfaces should show DISABLE in Admin Mode
- Go to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\IGMP VLAN Configuration: we should show VLAN 2 in the IGMP VLAN Configuration table.  Select VLAN 2 in that table by clicking the second row and start to configure that VLAN: Select ENABLE in the Admin Mode dropdown list,  Select ENABLE in the Fast Leave dropdown list, Membership interval 260, Maximum Response Time 10, Multicast Router Expiry Time 0, Report Suppression DISABLE and Proxy Querier ENABLE. Click the blue Apply button
- Go to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\Multicast Router Configuration: all interfaces should show DISABLE in Admin Mode
- Go to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\Multicast Router VLAN Configuration: it should be empty
- Go to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\Querier Configuration: Querier Admin Mode should show ENABLE, Snooping Querier Address should show 0.0.0.0 (used for querier election priority - I am assuming there isn't another querier in the network - if this is not the case, please ask your customer if a master querier should be used for instance on the core switch and if yes, since the lowest IP number will be taken into consideration for the querier election process, insert a higher number here than the one on the core switch, for instance, 99.99.99.99), IGMP Version 2, Query Interval(secs) 125 and Querier Expiry Interval(sec) 255
- Go to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\Querier VLAN Configuration: we should show VLAN 1 only at this stage. We are going to add VLAN 2:  Enter directly 2  in VLAN ID field at the top of the first column, select ENABLE in Querier Election Participate Mode dropdown list, enter 0.0.0.0 or 99.99.99.99 (same as for the general Querier configuration above) in VLAN Address Querier, and click the blue Add button
- Go back to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\Querier Configuration: now we should show VLAN 2 at the bottom of the page, under VLAN IDs Enabled for IGMP Snooping Querier
- Go to Maintenance\Save Config, or click the little "floppy disk" icon at the top of the page

This should be it, all done and ready to connect the M4300 switch to the core switch (via its Port-1 here), and all your SDVoE encoders and decoders are now "plug & play" on all other ports.

I hope this helps, let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Message 4 of 14
adeeb_taqui
Aspirant

I am not able to add default gateway for management vlan.  It remains as 0.0.0.0.

What is to be done?

I have configured the M4300 21x12f switch as per your post.  Next week I would connect AV devices and uplink to core switch and do testing.

netgear mangement vlan gateway.png

Message 5 of 14
adeeb_taqui
Aspirant

@LaurentMa 

Interface vlan222 for av is  defined in existing core switch with ip address and subnet mask.

Do i need to add any other info for vlan222 on netgear switch? The av device to be connected to netgear switch ports would be given static ip address from vlan222 ip range.

I need to define static route for any ip outside vlan 222 to go to core switch ip address-next hop?

Message 6 of 14
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi, the Management VLAN number and the Management IP address are all different from your initial requirements, I hope you're aware. Yes, 0.0.0.0 is normal if the link to the core is down, it means unspecified gateway. You should see a popup when attempting to enter the gateway IP address explaining that "the configured Default Gateway will not take effect until" it's probed.

Thanks,

Message 7 of 14
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi again, the AV VLAN number seems different from your initial requirements, I hope it's OK. Yes please go to Routing\VLAN\VLAN Routing Configuration and find the VLAN Routing Configuration table. You can add your AV VLAN 2 (or 222 now) at the top of this table, with its provisioned IP address/subnet mask at the core and click the blue Add button. This way, static routes will be created and you shouldn't need to manually enter a default route for that range. But of course, you need to have the switch connected to the core for all that, since for now, the default Management IP gateway in down in your Management VLAN (0.0.0.0) so the default route shouldn't be probed.

Thanks

Message 8 of 14
adeeb_taqui
Aspirant

Hi Laurent,

Since netgear switch is by default plug&play, i have decided to deply it in below ways. Pls check if its ok

Deploy the new m4300-96x in location A and m4300 12×12f in another city-location B as AV network switch to manage all new av device there in client's auditorium.

Do initial startup of m4300-96x& m4300-12×12f with default config vlan1 and connect all av devices to the switch and plug&play.

Do testing for auditorium av network.

Question: will all av devices work as plug&play in this scenario and what &how will the av device recieve ip addresses from default vlan 1 dynamically. Do i need to configure anything? Can i give static ip to av devices from vlan1 before connecting?

After above deplyment is tested for success as internal av network for auditorium , I would proceed to below step for connecting av switch to existing core network of client by using steps suggested by you of reconfiguring switch new av vlan 222 and management vlan and then do testing.

Question. After reconfiguring av vlan to 222, how do i define/configure new ip range from vlan222 for connected av devices. How to keep it as dynamic assignment of ip addresses or shall i assign ip statically on av devices.Vlan 222 range given by client i x.x.222.20-100 as an example.

Message 9 of 14
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @adeeb_taqui 

<<Deploy the new m4300-96x in location A and m4300 12×12f in another city-location B as AV network switch to manage all new av device there in client's auditorium.>>
Are the locations independent or do you connect the two switches together using fiber wiring or else here

<<Do the initial startup of m4300-96x& m4300-12×12f with default config vlan1 and connect all av devices to the switch and plug&play.>>
Please make sure you are using 12.0.7.12 latest firmware on both switches, you can download latest firmware image here https://www.netgear.com/support/product/m4300.aspx#download

<<Do testing for auditorium av network.
Question: will all AV devices work as plug&play in this scenario and what &how will the AV device receive IP addresses from default VLAN 1 dynamically. Do I need to configure anything? Can I give static IP to AV devices from VLAN 1 before connecting?>>

Yes, on each switch your AV devices will automatically work because the M4300 switches are pre-configured for AV-over-IP with correct IGMP settings on VLAN 1. No, your AV devices will not receive IP addresses from VLAN 1 because there is no DHCP server enabled in the switch for VLAN 1 and according to your description there is no external DHCP server on the network? Typical AV devices usually don't need a dynamic IP address at Layer 3 for operating Audio-Video: without a DHCP server, they will use their default auto-configured IP address. If you do want to have a DHCP server on VLAN 1 coming from the switch, you need to configure a DHCP pool in the switch and bind it to VLAN 1. If you do have a DHCP server already on the network, you need to make sure VLAN 1 can reach it, maybe using DHCP Relay / IP Helper. This post would help you create a DHCP pool in the switch: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Managed-Switches/DHCP-accross-multiple-switches-and-vlans/td-p/1176.... This other post would help you create DHCP Relay (IP Helper) on the switch if there is a central DHCP server on the network: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Managed-Switches/Help-with-L3-DHCP-Routing-on-M4300-series/m-p/1571...

<<After above deployment is tested for success as internal AV network for the auditorium, I would proceed to below step for connecting a switch to the existing core network of the client by using steps suggested by you of reconfiguring switch new AV VLAN 222 and management VLAN and then do the testing.
Question. After reconfiguring AV VLAN to 222, how do I define/configure new IP range from VLAN 222 for the connected AV devices. How to keep it as a dynamic assignment of IP addresses or shall I assign IP statically on AV devices. VLAN 222 range given by client i x.x.222.20-100 as an example.>>

It really depends on your DHCP server requirements: must it be on the switch or do you already have a DHCP server for VLAN 222 / 192.168.220.0/16? I'm not sure why you are asking if you must assign static IP addresses to your AV devices or how to keep it "dynamic". This should be your choice, but this should be dictated by the VLAN 222 DHCP server requirements. 

Maybe you need some help for this deployment, on the IP / DHCP and VLAN side of things. May I suggest you procure a NETGEAR ProSUPPORT Installation Contract when you are procuring the M4300 switches? The Remote Installation Setup and Configuration Service Contract is very cost-effective, only a fraction of the price of the M4300 switches. The ordering SKU is PSB0304-10000S, this is an electronic SKU. With this contract, you could plan for your installation, prepare the installation and schedule a 2-hour call with a NETGEAR Level 3 Tech Support Engineer on the Installation day. This way, you make sure all your VLAN settings and DHCP / Dynamic IP settings are correct when you are connecting the M4300 switches to your client's core switch.

I hope this helps,

Regards

Message 10 of 14
adeeb_taqui
Aspirant

Thanks @LaurentMa for your clear expalanation.

We have ordered a pro-support remote service (PSB0304-10000S) with this and I have raised case#41039924 for this.

I am still little confused regarding network/vlan connectivity related for AV devices , so it would be nice to make use of service and I will get to learn and clear my understanding.

Message 11 of 14
adeeb_taqui
Aspirant

Below is the info that we have recieved from client about their IP address that we should use.

• Management vlan id is 1:   IP address for AV (Netgear-M4300-96x) switch: o Management IP: x.x.1.228
o Subnet mask : 255.255.255.0
o Gateway: x.x.1.250

• AV VLAN= 222

IP range to be used for AV devices like Terra , Cisco VC, AMX ...: x.x.222.20 To 10.70.222.100 and Gateway is x.x.222.250

Message 12 of 14
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @adeeb_taqui 

Thank you for procuring the ProSUPPORT remote installation contract (PSB0304-10000S) alongside your M4300 switches and I am going to escalate your case# above.

Don't worry, you will see that network/VLAN connectivity will be easy for your AV devices. These devices are mainly 802.1Q-unaware so their ports will be "Access Ports" on the switch, for them it's transparent. The Access Port will automatically tag their traffic within the switch and within the trunks, but for them, it will remain untagged traffic at their level. For the AV devices IP addresses, it will depend on the DCHP server (either at the core of the network, it will require IP Helper configuration on the switch for your AV VLAN; or with one embedded DHCP pool bound to your AV VLAN in the switch, directly).

Regards,

Message 13 of 14
captainjhoni
Aspirant

I hope the number is okay, it seems different from the requirements you had. If you want to find the Routing Configuration table, you have to go to RoutingVLANVLAN. If you click the blue Add button, you will be taken to a page where you can add your VLAN 2 at the top of the table. You shouldn't need to manually enter a default route for that range because static routes will be created. Since the default route shouldn't be probed, you need to have the switch connected to the core for all of that. Thanks for taking the time to reply.I hope the number is okay, it seems different from the requirements you had. If you want to find the Routing Configuration table, you have to go to RoutingVLANVLAN. If you click the blue Add button, you will be taken to a page where you can add your VLAN 2 at the top of the table. You shouldn't need to manually enter a default route for that range because static routes will be created. Since the default route shouldn't be probed, you need to have the switch connected to the core for all of that. Thanks for taking the time to reply.I hope the number is okay, it seems different from the requirements you had. If you want to find the Routing Configuration table, you have to go to RoutingVLANVLAN. If you click the blue Add button, you will be taken to a page where you can add your VLAN 2 at the top of the table. You shouldn't need to manually enter a default route for that range because static routes will be created. Since the default route shouldn't be probed, you need to have the switch connected to the core for all of that. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

AV over IP Switches by NETGEAR