Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backing Up Folders on Windows PC without ReadyCloud App

jnash123
Aspirant

Backing Up Folders on Windows PC without ReadyCloud App

I'm really not getting on with the readycloud desktop app. Is there any way i can replicate it using something like windows file history.

I can obviously set this up but i need a way to backup over the internet.

If not with windows history, is there a mechanism in which i can backup my files either from within or outside the network?

Thank you in advance.

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 16
NetworkedinPA
Aspirant

Re: Backing Up Folders on Windows PC without ReadyCloud App

If you setup a user account on your RNAS for the Share you also setup on your RNAS, you can Map a drive via NET USE (command line). You may wish to add your credentials to Windows Vault so it remains persistent.

Then you can use a software like FreeFileSync (also a realtime version), which can setup sync jobs, such as Full or just subsets for speed. Very simple and efficient. You can do it without ReadyCLOUD on the machine you want to sync (ie other computers), though you DO want ReadyCLOUD for the configuration ease on your RNAS "admin computer"

Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 16
jnash123
Aspirant

Thank you , however how would this work when i am not on the network? < this is the bit im trying to work out

Message 3 of 16
NetworkedinPA
Aspirant

The mapped drive letter would show up as unavailable (red x) when not on the network. By using Windows Credential Manager (Vault, whatever name they decide to call it today, LOL), it will be ready to connect when returning to the network and clicking on the mapped drive.

That is what I meant by persistent 😉

Normally, mapped shares are troublesome after not being available, such as taking a laptop offsite. This method gets around that trouble.

One other "fix" of note is using SUBST of an unused drive letter to another drive, directory, or location. It can bypass windows complaints and allow you to use removable media like memory cards and secondary drives with software and programs that don't normally allow it. It is transparent to the system. Shouldn't need it here, but stick it in your bag of tricks 😉

One thing to note: When mapped drives as persistent like this, sometimes drop down file locations in file boxes (for things like downloading) and choosing a directory will hang for 30-60 secs. IF you have that problem, which doesn't seem to have a certainty to it with Windows, you can just always start with 'My Computer' and browse DOWN the directory structure instead of up. It will make more sense the first time it happens to you.

Hope this helps.

Message 4 of 16
jnash123
Aspirant

Thank you however, i am looking for a solution in which i can backup any changes offsite (which i assume is possible when i use the readycloud desktop app.

Ther requirement is that i am able to sync changes when i am not locally connected to my ready nas.

Thanks again

Jonathan

Message 5 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Are you looking to manually back up PC folders that will work both locally and remotely?

Also, do you know if your router supports OpenVPN?

Message 6 of 16
jnash123
Aspirant

Hi there, yes as i understand it

the Readycloud app would synchronise my folders regardless whether i am local or external to the nas server.

i would like to incorporate either windows file history or another backup program that will fire on changes to the folder and push it to its respective folder on the nas irrelevant of my location.

My router does support open vpn.

Thanks for the reply

Message 7 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@jnash123 wrote:

i would like to incorporate either windows file history or another backup program that will fire on changes to the folder and push it to its respective folder on the nas irrelevant of my location.

My router does support open vpn.

OpenVPN gives you another option that doesn't depend on the ReadyCloud app.  If that's installed on the PC, then you can connect your PC to your home network.  Then any software on the PC can reach the NAS using a secure connection.

Message 8 of 16
jnash123
Aspirant

Thank you , however i was hoping there was something on the nas box itseelf that would allow it to be internet facing ?

Thanks

Message 9 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Well, there is ReadyCloud.  Other options include installing OwnCloud or ZeroTier on the NAS.  And there is also Resilio sync, which can be installed on the NAS and on your PC. 

They all have their plusses and minuses.  All options will require software on the client devices.  A VPN (either OpenVPN or ZeroTier) or one-way sync are the best fit for what you want. One-way sync is the most automatic (not always a good thing - especially when you are away and using a lower-speed internet connection).

I do use Resilio's sync my mobile devices (it is a convenient tool to manage content on those devices), but also have OpenVPN and Plex installed.  OpenVPN is also on my laptop.   I've played some with ZeroTier, and it also is a good VPN solution. 

My general approach is to limit the apps running on the NAS (though of course there are plenty of folks here who see this differently).  Plex, Resilo Sync, and other applications run on a dedicated PC that has the NAS volume mounted as a drive letter.  OpenVPN runs in my Orbi router (though when I started using OpenVPN, it was on a Nighthawk R7000).  The benefit of running OpenVPN on the router that I get full access to my home network (NAS, PCs, printers, smart switches, etc). 

Message 10 of 16
NetworkedinPA
Aspirant

What about the app 'VPN Server' by Poussin? It resides on the RNAS. I haven't configured it yet, but that was actually a plan of mine to get secure access remotely, then use FreeFileSync for a similar purpose. Sounds like your goals are similar to mine (different than what I originally thought you were asking). Access files securely from laptop or wherever with either LAN authentication while local or VPN tunnel to RNAS when remote?
Message 11 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@NetworkedinPA wrote:
What about the app 'VPN Server' by Poussin? It resides on the RNAS. I haven't configured it yet, but that was actually a plan of mine to get secure access remotely, then use FreeFileSync for a similar purpose.

That uses softether, so you'd need to also install a softether client on the PC.

There have been issues with that particular app from time to time (for instance here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Current-NETGEAR-and-Partners/VPN-server-by-Poussin-no-longer-workig... )

It is definitely an option, though my view is that you'd be better off with the built-in OpenVPN server in the router, unless you have a particular reason why you want to limit the VPN access to just the ReadyNAS.

Message 12 of 16
jnash123
Aspirant

Yes that has worked well, i have set up openvpn on my router and can now access the nas as if it was local.

I have the freefilesync that has been mentioned, but im hoping i can find something that is a little more slicker that will back up any changes made to files that i work on religously.

Thanks again.

Message 13 of 16
NetworkedinPA
Aspirant

Stupid question alert: Are you installing OpenVPN on a router (if so, which one?), or just passing through to an OpenVPN server on your LAN? I am considering running VirtualBox and then OpenVPN, as outlined here: https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-quickly-deploy-an-openvpn-server/ Downloads: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads https://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/howto.html ...or is there a 'better way'?
Message 14 of 16
jnash123
Aspirant

I have a router that allows it to.be set up in the following way, it generate a profile which I use on my machines that are away from the office

https://www.asus.com/uk/support/FAQ/1008713/
Message 15 of 16
NetworkedinPA
Aspirant

Thank you. For my purposes, I will be wanting certain users to be routed to specific subnets (probably VLAN configurations), which I haven't setup yet. Perhaps a better way to describe the goal is "FTP" but using VPN and Windows drive mapping instead of FTP client. Certain users routed to their own directory. NOT a domain structure, which would have been easier to do via user logins and their home directories ;) I am maybe going too far on this thread, sorry. I might use OpenVPN for my use and setup a local "cloud" app for other users to backup and access their private files... Thanks.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements