Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is ReadyCLOUD ready to use?

bige1
Aspirant

Re: Is ReadyCLOUD ready to use?

NO ABSOLUTELY NOT

I own a small engineering company and I can tell you it was a complete and utter time chewing, frustrating experience trying to set this box up. I still don't have ReadyCloud up and running properly. My users are all messed up. I have it working so that the admin user can get into "manage" the device but can't see any deeper than one level on the shares. I place manage in quotes because that is kind of a joke. If manage means you can set up a user and see the other users then this thing is fully managed. However it does not meet my definition of manage.

I set up another user that can see deeper into the file structure with no problems but can't manage squat. The email links to the users are all messed up. You can't seem to delete users from ReadyCloud. What a freaking mess. No one at tech support can fix it and I can support myself technically better than they can after a few hours of usage, err trying to grind through the poor technical manual and firmware.

I have the Egnyte service (absolutely happy with Egnyte) and that part of the equation is working spectacularly. With the Egnyte application, I don't need the ReadyCloud crap, and thank goodness, because that is what it is at this stage of development, CRAP. Shame on Netgear for putting this out on the street.

My advice to people who are stuck purchasing the product because of Netgear's false misleading advertisement, is turn off ReadyCloud and all other related services and get Egnyte and forget about if for a while. Hopefully Netgear will have some shame and expedite the development of firmware that works.

Other than the ReadyCloud crap and associated applications, the rest of the simple file server box with the Raid and Snapshots is slick and fast. Everything else seems to be working really well. The access is very fast and it seems that the replication with Egnyte is working well. The application installation is intuitive and it worked flawlessly. Locally managing the unit is pretty easy and the web interface is nice.

I am not sure I would purchase this again. I might be inclined to get a cheap server and load VMware hypervisor and the Egnyte application to do the same thing with more confidence. The lack of stability with the firmware really bothers me and makes me thing what other more MISSON CRITICAL function is messed up. After all what liability does Netgear have with respect to preserving your data. NONE.

Let's see if the moderator lets this comment through. I have no vendetta against Netgear. I own several routers and switches. The above is my honest opinion.
Message 26 of 31
GWC
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having variable success logging onto ReadyCloud and getting to my files remotely. I can access the NAS>>go to the "Access" tab>>get the data volume shown>> get the shares shown (documents/music/pictures/videos) BUT the shares are shown with a red lock icon on them and I CAN'T ACCESS the files for drag/drop.

I don't want to - or in some cases can't - install the ReadyRemote software on the various desktops I use.

Any suggestions?
Message 27 of 31
GWC
Aspirant
Aspirant

However, I have just found out my one other user can access files. Maybe the work around is for me to be the administrator (who discovered the NAS) to do the administration without file access and me (as a separate user) to access files but have no administration rights.

I'd think the administrator should have read/write access in addition to administration rights.

I may be doning something wrong though.
Message 28 of 31
GWC
Aspirant
Aspirant

Wow, I can't do that as I need to enter my own email and then search. When I do this I get "Local device synchronization error. Add ocoal user account failed: User Exist". So I am back where I started....

suggestions?
Message 29 of 31
xeltros
Apprentice

if you have admin account you can access the files. right clic on the folder with the lock, go to permissions, add your account in read/write. This will set the permissions on the NAS, you should be able to login with write access (may need to disconnect/reconnect).
Message 30 of 31
natepiet
Aspirant

GWC did you find a way around this? I am having the same issue.
Message 31 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements