× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Plex Media Server not install on RN204

Igniter57
Aspirant

Plex Media Server not install on RN204

ReadyNAS 204 firmware 6.5.1

I've been running plex media server for a month now and it's been working great until now. Yesterday I was added content to my libraries, then went to one of my devices (tablet) to see if the new content was labeled correctly. Received an error stating the media server was unavailable. So I logged onto my readynas from my computer browser as admin and noticed the Plex media server was not running. Clicked on the launch button but the media server would not launch/start. I did not receive any error messages while trying to launch the application. So I figured I would reinstall the application, hopefully fixing whatever happened. That’s when I noticed that Plex media server was not listed as an available app on the application page. So I went to Plex website and downloaded plex media server for netgear, ARM 6x RN2xx. When I upload the file (plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries-annapurna_1.0.0.2261-a17e99e_armel.deb) I get an error stating Cannot install application …plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries-annapurna_1.0.0.2261-a17e99e_armel.deb.

Does anybody know how I can fix this, getting plex media server reinstalled? I suspect the reason I don’t see plex media listed as an available app is because it’s still installed on the NAS.

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
Igniter57
Aspirant

I ended up doing another factory reset. Once the NAS 204 was back up and reconfigured, I was able to load PMS Arm 6.X, version 1.0.2.2413-7caf41d, with plex pass on. So I'm back up now and copying content to my libraries. I'll just have to wait and see if this will last more than a couple of days.

ReadyNAS 204 Firmware 6.5.1

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 13

All Replies
Igniter57
Aspirant

Well, I've decided to reset my NAS and see if it'll let me reinstall plex media server.  I'll post my results.

Message 2 of 13
chanlung
Aspirant

I was just about to install and I noticed it gone as well.  I too also downloaded the .deb file to try and install it but couldn't

Message 3 of 13
jake1000x
Aspirant

Same issue here. Plex has been working perfect for 4-5 months. Then all of a sudden it turned off, i tried turning it back on but it wouldn't. i uninstalled it so i could reinstall it but now it is not on the available apps list.

I have installed the plex app off my computer today but it isn’t working, it doesn’t let me create libraries.

Very confused.

Message 4 of 13
Igniter57
Aspirant

I was finally able to reinstall PMS and launch it. I started off by doing a factory reset on my RN204, which I now believe was absolutely unnecessary. All that did was create a lot of grief setting the NAS back up.

Once I got the NAS reconfigured, I went to the Apps tab and Plex media server was still not showing up. So I downloaded the file from Plex, downloading the ARM 6.X RN2xx, file name plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries-annapurna_1.0.0.2261-a17e99e.deb. Once the file downloaded, I uploaded it to the NAS. It failed with the same uninformative error message I noted in my previous post.

I had read in another post that the RN204 is supposed to use the PMS version of ARM 6.X and not the ARM 6.X RN2xx, that the RN2xx is specifically for the RN210 series NAS. So I downloaded the ARM 6.X (file name plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries_1.0.0.2261-a17e99e.deb) and uploaded it to the NAS. Once again it failed with the same error message.

At this point I was getting frustrated. So I started looking at previously downloaded PMS update files that were in my download folder and found several. The file that installed without errors was named plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries-annapurna_0.9.16.6.1993-5089475.deb, which was the oldest file I had. (All the other downloaded files were newer ver 1.0 and failed).

Once 0.9.16 was loaded, I removed it, rebooted the NAS (found these steps in another post), then I was able to upload and install ver annapurna_1.0.0.2261-a17e99c. Now I need to mention the ver 1.0 file was the NON-plex pass file downloaded from plex. None of my previously downloaded ver 1.0 files would load. PMS is now launched and working again, although it's not seeing everything (movies/tv shows) it saw before... I may need to give it some time. I do have a plex pass account, and once I launched PMS and logged in, it recognize my account and immediately wanted me to download an update.  I'm going to wait a while before installing any more updates because that's what started this whole mess.  

Message 5 of 13
jake1000x
Aspirant

I have managed to get mine working also, i downloaded the second file off the plex website under Netgear. Once i installed it i left it alone for an hour or two, when i returned i was able to make a new libary in plex and it is now collecting all the posters and info for all my files.

Message 6 of 13
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Igniter57 & jake1000x,

We recently had a problem with our server and we encourage users who want to update to the latest Plex app to manually download & upload it on the admin page. Also, thanks for letting us know that all is working fine now.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 13
Igniter57
Aspirant

It’s happened again. I added some new content to my library then logged on to the RN204 admin page. Clicked the Apps tab, then launched Plex server to review the new content. Plex wouldn’t launch. Switched the Plex App to off and waited for about 5 minutes, then switched it back on. Same thing – plex would not launch. What I mean by it wouldn’t launch is that a separate web page pops up with the dark brown background and nothing else.

So I turned off the plex media server, waited for it to finish, then rebooted the NAS. After the NAS finished booting, logged in and no applications are installed. Plex is gone like it was never there. By the way, Plex is the only app I’ve loaded on the NAS.

So I tried to reinstall PMS, and regardless of the file version I use it fails. In fact none of the PMS files I’ve downloaded will install. Neither ARM 6.X nor ARM 6.X RN2XX.

As a recap, I successfully loaded PMS version RN2XX - 0.9.16.6.1993 a few days ago and it was working fine. After copying data over to the NAS, PMS scanned and cataloged everything. Local and Remote access was working perfectly.

I really would like to avoid another factory reset. Anyone seen this before or have an idea on how to fix? I read in another post that a .pid file needs to be deleted in the apps folder (data\apps\plexmediaserver). If this is what I need to do, what’s a good app that gives root access to the NAS? I downloaded RAIDar, just to check it out, but when I run it I only see my shares.

Thanks

Message 8 of 13
Igniter57
Aspirant

I ended up doing another factory reset. Once the NAS 204 was back up and reconfigured, I was able to load PMS Arm 6.X, version 1.0.2.2413-7caf41d, with plex pass on. So I'm back up now and copying content to my libraries. I'll just have to wait and see if this will last more than a couple of days.

Message 9 of 13
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Igniter57,

Hopefully, it won't happen again. Keep me in the loop by updating this thread.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 13
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Igniter57,

How was your system with PMS installed in it? Has the PMS app crashed again?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 13
Igniter57
Aspirant

It's been running well since my last post on 25 July. I've added quite a bit of content and the server’s been accessible from both my home LAN and beyond. PMS wants me to load the latest update, but I’ve been putting it off since everything is working so well. I’ll post after loading it and let you all know how it went.

Thanks

Igniter57

Message 12 of 13
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Igniter57,

No worries. Just keep this thread updated once you've updated to the latest PMS version.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements